Autopsy Rd 3: North vs Melbourne - RIP the Streak

Remove this Banner Ad

Even the best chess player will lose when they're scooting around the board with nothing but one Knight & the King against an opponent with 12 pieces left.
The best chess player wouldn't be in that position in the first place though would they?

The best chess player wouldn't be in that position in the first place though would they?

Chess players start with the same pieces - which is where the analogy with football starts to fall down.

We didn't play well, but Melbourne are 3 years ahead of us in their progression.

It makes sense on paper the result.

There should be a couple of changes , but this will be life for us for a while.

I would be looking however at Will Walker etc soon over Hrovat and a couple of others.

We need to promote our most talented

Analyze the number of players under 50 games for both sides. We were slightly older than them and no less experienced.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clarke needs to be moved to the wing as he does have some run and carry in him. Hartung needs reinforcements when he's not able to get the footy.

McDonald spent a lot of time as a defensive mid, and his best footy will not be there. He was servicable, but we need his footy brain to be doing creative things, not taking lifesaving marks in the back pocket. Like Atley, he needs to be moved up the ground.

We need to find more Marley types, hopefully Wright gets back and both Hibberd and Mountford eventuate into something.

I am sick to death of us drafting footballers with signs of creativity, before it being snuffed out by stuffing them in the back line.

Clarke, McDonald, Atley, Hartung is a dangerous wing/half-forward quartet. I know it means little until we sort out our inside midfield issues, but this structural deficiency is offsetting the teams potential creative abilities. This on top of the fact that both Clarke and McDonald aren't top tier ball users (LMac is above average at best).

They will not damage opposition teams by taking the stationary kick down the line at half-back, 40 meters out from the opposition goal on the flank. Their carry and overlap would do much more damage up the ground.

I entirely understand current personnel makes this difficult, but we've got to start heading in that direction.

Also Goldy sucked.

Great post.

The bolded is the biggest criticism for me.

It seems to be an ethos of negate the weaknesses rather than exploit the strengths.

This is what stifles our development imo and these young guys who were mids are converted to permanent flankers.

Hence the current dearth.

Great post.

It seems to be an ethos of negate the weaknesses rather than exploit the strengths.

This is what stifles our development imo and these young guys who were mids are converted to permanent flankers.

If we'd drafted Isaac Smith all those years ago we'd have had him doing JMac's role for years.

Great post.

Just find it endlessly confounding why you would go to the draft several years in a row, scout and draft straight up, middle of traffic midfielders, to then just throw them in as HB flankers.

I understand trying to make positional flexibility and taking advantage of certain attributes, but you build a team at the draft.

You fill the holes with trading/FA.

By employing this strategy we're on, you are doing absolutely neither.

Just find it endlessly confounding why you would go to the draft several years in a row, scout and draft straight up, middle of traffic midfielders, to then just throw them in as HB flankers.

I understand trying to make positional flexibility and taking advantage of certain attributes, but you build a team at the draft.

You fill the holes with trading/FA.

By employing this strategy we're on, you are doing absolutely neither.
There's been some very confusing decisions with our development of our midfield.

Atley was confusing for me. He basically was given two or three practice matches starting in the square, then had his papers stamped.

Harper was talked up and trained specifically with the midfield group, before having his papers stamped after a couple of games, then sent back to work on a few things, having his confidence shattered, getting injured and disappearing.

McDonald played plenty of midfield as well as a lock down defender in his junior years, with his main knock being a propensity to bomb it long. I'm hoping we see him up the ground sooner rather than later and am worried he looks really out of sorts mentally at the moment.

I'm not saying all of these guys were certainties, but they are just a couple of examples of odd handling.

There's been some very confusing decisions with our development of our midfield.

Atley was confusing for me. He basically was given two or three practice matches starting in the square, then had his papers stamped.

Harper was talked up and trained specifically with the midfield group, before having his papers stamped after a couple of games, then sent back to work on a few things, having his confidence shattered, getting injured and disappearing.

McDonald played plenty of midfield as well as a lock down defender in his junior years, with his main knock being a propensity to bomb it long. I'm hoping we see him up the ground sooner rather than later and am worried he looks really out of sorts mentally at the moment.

I'm not saying all of these guys were certainties, but they are just a couple of examples of odd handling.

With you on this although we obviously don't see anything like the amount of them playing in these positions as the football department. I mean, when it comes down to it if these guys play in the middle over the preseason and JZ & Cunnington take them to pieces all day long we're arguably wasting our time. Not saying that's the case or not, just speculating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With you on this although we obviously don't see anything like the amount of them playing in these positions as the football department. I mean, when it comes down to it if these guys play in the middle over the preseason and JZ & Cunnington take them to pieces all day long we're arguably wasting our time. Not saying that's the case or not, just speculating.
Oh yeah, I'm just shooting the s**t from the comfort of my armchair. To be fair though, Cunnington takes most blokes to the cleaners.

What'd he have to say gr?
Spoke about our game, our midfield woes, our youngsters, his new bub on the way, the game against the Blues, JB spoke about the Spitta's comments, the alternate jumper we wore.

Below is the full audio:

Spoke about our game, our midfield woes, our youngsters, his new bub on the way, the game against the Blues, JB spoke about the Spitta's comments, the alternate jumper we wore.

Below is the full audio:

I started playing this.

Nekminit my computer crashed.

Oh yeah, I'm just shooting the s**t from the comfort of my armchair. To be fair though, Cunnington takes most blokes to the cleaners.

I thought exactly that when I typed it... but writing JZ then *crickets* didn't make me feel good. I can categorically say I don't see enough of these guys until they hit the AFL to know any better, hopefully with the VFL team that can improve a bit. Maybe we should put these guys up against Jacobs in the pre season - you break even you're probably a gun.

Can we not use that jumper when the normal jumper dosnt clash . Please . Sorry guys it looked awful. What is it with clash strips we never win ..

We played a solid game of footy today, beaten by a better team. We're young, still experimenting and in experienced. We were still in the game halfway through the last quarter.
Positives.
Daw, very good down back
EVW, very good down back
Hartung and Simpkin, we have two players who can break lines and add some spark
Clark, accumulated well and ran hard.
Higgins and Brown, worked hard
Jacobs, great job on Oliver.
Negatives,
JZ and Cunners can't play in the same midfield together at the same time. It's like watching two players in gumboots.
Turnstiles McMillan. Did not impact a contest all day. Was completely exposed with Tarrant out. Replace with Wright or Tarrant when fit.
Hrovat and Turner, inability to keep the footy up forward. Need Taylor Garner back asap
I agree with the vast majority of this. Except for the JMac bit. No doubt, he's a limited player - who isn't? - check out some of Joel Selwood's kicking. However, the turnstile tackling is a little bit of a beat-up in my opinion and tends to occur only when we're under sustained pressure, due to other players in the middle losing out badly. I see JMac's role as more of a dynamic, rebounding defender who can cut of opponent's drive and initiate counter attacks. My biggest gripe with him right now is that, over the past two weeks, he's made a few great interceptions and proceeded to blast away and turn the ball over, when he had an array of options available to him. On the other hand, if JMac's in the 2's, it will mean we must have a very strong first team...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back