Preview Rd 5: NMFC vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it just me, or does Will Langford, so called son of Chris, look a lot like one Dermott Brereton?

Hmmm. Did some Carey and Stevo style behavior go on there?

I reckon Waite is in doubt, didn't train yesterday and had his hip treated on the sideline throughout.

I'd say that's why Mckay is listed as an emergency.
He's in doubt. Just got told the same thing.

We're ****** without Waite.

Waite mentioned in his post-game interview that he always struggled during the week. For mine, there’s no way Larkey wouldn’t have been listed, if there was any doubt about Waite. But, there again, what would I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big game on the weekend. If we win I think we are more than capable of competing in the finals (which seemed highly unlikely at the beginning of the year). Its such an open year and with so many teams like Melbourne and St.Kilda really struggling if we can pick up a few unexpected wins like this week then you never know.

Biggest match ups for this weekend in order of important (IMO):

McEvoy Vs Goldy - McEvoy has been providing silver service to his mids this year, and while he isn't huge on picking up disposals he is more than capable of being a solid marking target. If Goldy isn't winning the hitouts he needs to get on his bike an provide an option around the ground. Its also important for him to get back into defence and clog up the space in which Gunston + Roughy operate in.

Smith Vs Hartung - I'd argue that Smith is their most damaging player. If he gets over 25 disposals and a goal or two the hawks generally win. He is a 100m player which is what makes him so damaging. Runs with the footy and kicks long. Hartung needs to make him accountable going the other way. I think Billy needs to hit the scoreboard this week while tightening up on Smith.

Mitchell Vs Jacobs - Mitchell is a clearance freak. While he isn't that damaging around the ground his ability to accumulate possession makes him dangerous. If we can get on top of him and not allow him free reign in the centre it will go a long way to us winning the contest. I don't care if he gets 30 plus touches on the outside, just as long as he isn't winning a heap of contested footy.

Sicily Vs Atley - Sicily is their main distributor off half back. He is an aerial threat and an excellent kick. If we turn it over across half forward he is the sort of player who opens up space to cut us apart. Atley has been in excellent form of late, and he has the speed and posession winning ability to make Sicily accountable. If Sicily isn't given much free space it will make Browny's job a whole lot easier.

Shiels Vs Higgins - Shields is excellent at locking down on the damaging types while getting a s**t load of possessions himself. Higgins will have to provide his run, but still keep an eye on Shiels going the other way.

Bruest Vs EVW - Bruest is in a solid patch of form and is not only kicking goals but getting a lot of possession up the ground. EVW I think has the ability to stop him, but it will take his best work. If we can hold Bruest to less than 2 goals it will go a long way to us winning the match. Especially with the loss of Rioli and Puopolo.

O'Meara Vs Cunnington - Cunners is obviously our biggest ball winner, we'll need him to have a huge impact if we are to win the game. But he has to stay accountable as the hawks mids often get forward and kick goals.

Frawley Vs Brown - We rely on Brown hugely. But if we can get him quick deliver Frawley will struggle to handle his height and reach advantage.

Roughhead Vs Tarrant - The only match up for Roughie if you ask me. If I see Daw lined up on him from the first bounce I know we are tanking. Taz has taken care of him before.

My prediction: in a tough hard contest Hawks by 8 points.

NMFC-header.png

If
Jacobs stops Mitchell on Sunday ...

then
his comeback is complete.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good writeup.:thumbsu:

Sicily Vs Atley - Sicily is their main distributor off half back. He is an aerial threat and an excellent kick. If we turn it over across half forward he is the sort of player who opens up space to cut us apart. Atley has been in excellent form of late, and he has the speed and posession winning ability to make Sicily accountable. If Sicily isn't given much free space it will make Browny's job a whole lot easier.

I strongly question this match up occurring. Sicily will likely be too strong in the air.

I reckon Sicily will go to either JZ or Waite..

I strongly question this match up occurring. Sicily will likely be too strong in the air.

It'll most likely depend if Kaiden Brand plays or not. I'd imagine they'd prefer Stratton on Waite then it allows Sicily more space to find posessions.

Waite v Sicily would be a good match up for us, he can run him up the ground and not allow him to fill the space around Browny.

While I have no doubt you’re correct SB, it really shouldn’t be the case, as Atley has three cm’s on him. Atley is supposedly one kg heavier as well. I guess he’d need to be at least five kg’s heavier to strengthen his height differential, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I have no doubt you’re correct SB, it really shouldn’t be the case, as Atley has three cm’s on him. Atley is supposedly one kg heavier as well. I guess he’d need to be at least five kg’s heavier to strengthen his height differential, though.

I don't see your point mate.

Lance Franklin is 11cms taller than Jack Ziebell, yet he would struggle to beat Jack overhead. All players have their strengths and this is no different. Sicily is better than Shaun in the air, but out in space Sicily would be eating Shaun's dust.

Malthouse was another who would heap praise on us ("Brad has them playing in his image") pre-match then have his charges proceed to run through us like it was a training drill.

Clarkson's flattery has all the value of a signed Peter Andre poster.

I couldn't get mine signed however still have it on my bedroom wall. Right next to the framed pictures of the Pope and Stuart Cochrane.

Thought I'd take a pic and share for your enjoyment.

PA.jpg

Would expect Hrovat and Wood to really put their hands up for selection next week along with Garner and Ahern. The latter pair I would like to see in the seniors ASAP.

Temp: 23
Winds: Light

Good conditions for forwards.

We're ****** without Waite.
I agree KC, but you were recently advocating not playing him, or that it was a mistake keeping him on the list. ;)

If it is the hip again, you have to wonder if we'd have been better of resting him last week, so he's right for the Etihad game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back