Autopsy Rd 9 Carlton v Fremantle Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

These players that can play small and tall like Plow seem to get carved up by the really good smalls its been going on for a month ..

I suspect we're getting carved up because of the defensive system we're playing, and that's not necessarily a criticism.

We're playing 5-6 big-ish defenders (who are all good in the air), with Docherty (if possible) floating as an extra. The tall defenders can all come off their man, help out in the air, and basically give us aerial dominance. Our hope is that by weight of numbers we can contain the ball on the ground and for the most part that is working- other than Lynch/Gold Coast (who played a 'special' structure) we have barely given up a goal to tall forwards, and for a team in 16th spot, our defence has held up well.

You pick your poison, though. The players who have killed us have mostly fit the same category - forward running midfielders who run through the midfield and kick over the top of our defensive structure, or who fill space around the 50 when the ball comes in and get the rebounds (ie; Billings). Throw in a crumbed goal or two when our slower defensive players just don't get there in time...

Again, I don't think it is a bad thing defensively. Teams are figuring it out a bit though. The key is for the midfield to close up better in the centre square and prevent running goals, and to fill that space around the 50 better. That was never going to happen for long enough with 2 men down against Freo. A couple of our mids also aren't great at running defensively either (although Cripps is improving and Murphy is at least making an effort these days)

Flicking through to see what happened to Daisy. 4 mins to go in the first, jeez that's a great pass from Fisher - he's shown some real skills with the ball.

Also in the 2nd Crozier whacks Plowman in the face, falls over and is given the free, unreal.

Would love to see a stat showing frees awarded in the forward 50 for our oppositions compared with us.

I thought we were dominant in the first q, a couple of missed goals and the rain stopped up hurting them more.

Once the rain slowed the game down, Sandi took control and they basically walked it away from the clearances. Eventually that sapped away any momentum we had around the ground and they got on top.

I felt our mids should have been roving to sandi more instead of expecting K to somehow win a tap.

That was the difference imo.

Top5StatsCFCRd9Graphic.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's ok to drop a player

Our forward structure isn't working

Rest him up....he's only played 10 games
might be completely off the mark here but think that its very strange that kerr and pickett were taken to w.a. and not played in the bullants considering the n.b's now have the next 2 weeks off meaning they will have 3 weeks off. maybe both play this week with charlie and sps sps rested?

might be completely off the mark here but think that its very strange that kerr and pickett were taken to w.a. and not played in the bullants considering the n.b's now have the next 2 weeks off meaning they will have 3 weeks off. maybe both play this week with charlie and sps sps rested?
Personally, i don't think they will be rested with a bye coming up. Although SPS was a bit quiet he was still laying tackles and Charlie hasn't had a long enough stint to suggest he needs a rest asap.

Kerr and Pickett travelled for the experience of interstate prep maybe?

Last edited:
arent they both from WA couldve gone with the team to visit family and help with home sickness... have heard of teams doing this.

Yep.

I've enjoying his game more now I have accepted he simply cant tackle front on, particularly with his right arm. Not sure what the issue is but I don't think he's going to change.
The saints have much the same problem but their diagnosis is playing too much pocketbilliards ....

Just out of left field, did anyone hear the "booing" from the crowd when Smurph had the ball? Wife always complains about my selective hearing.
I didnt but the perth crowd boo everything so maybe my selective hearing has kicked in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back