Remove this Banner Ad

ormond-allen

Team Captain
Feb 8, 2005
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
very happy with where the club is heading and very happy with AC's plan. but if we're fair dinkum about re-building, these names should be looked at closely and possibly be shipped off for more draft picks....
ball
campbell
dixon
greene
ries
smith
vandenberg

ormond-allen said:
very happy with where the club is heading and very happy with AC's plan. but if we're fair dinkum about re-building, these names should be looked at closely and possibly be shipped off for more draft picks....
ball
campbell
dixon
greene
ries
smith
vandenberg

If you are happy then you are very easily pleased.

Of your list I reckon the only one any other club would be interested in is Smith. Ball, Greene and Ries cant get a game with a club only capable of winning 3 games, why would anyone else want them?

come on... you've got to think long term. we've got the best young group of kids in the league. and if we can recruit this year as well as we did last year, i think we could a become a force and have a genuine tilt at the flag over a 4-5 year period. sure, its going to take 2-3 years before any of this happens, as we wait for the kids to develop, but i'm pretty excited about it. and lets face it. it was a tough call, but re-building was the best option for the clubs future. in 4-5 years time, hawthorn will be a contender and clubs like essendon and carlton who haven't invested in the future will still be in the bottom half of the ladder. exciting times ahead....

Of your list I reckon the only one any other club would be interested in is Smith. Ball, Greene and Ries cant get a game with a club only capable of winning 3 games, why would anyone else want them?[/QUOTE]

thats true. but worse players have been traded. there are some desperate/stupid recruiting staff out there... ie carlton

medusala said:
If you are happy then you are very easily pleased.

Of your list I reckon the only one any other club would be interested in is Smith. Ball, Greene and Ries cant get a game with a club only capable of winning 3 games, why would anyone else want them?

I believe Ries is tradeable and would make it in to some teams. He just struggles in Hawthorn because we got a few better similar players. Come on Mark McGough got trades last year surely Nick has some value.

still puzzled why people want to get rid of smith.

Has been one of our best over the last 4 years, had a quietish year on his standards, still had some very good games, was unbelievably loyal to us last year, and now people aren't sad to trade him.

We've hardly got any experienced players as it is, why put smith up for trade?

We are going to get two picks in the top 5 again by the looks of things.... travis tuck f/s and josh kennedy f/s next year... think we have enough draft picks coming in the next few years to have to worry about trading quality senior players, which is what Smith is.

Agree with you, players like Greene, Ries, Lonie probably aren't long term players, but are just around for depth purposes. No one is going to give up anything even a fourth round pick for guys like that, so there isn't really much point. Really teams aren't going to want players who can't get into the second bottom side. They'd prefer to take a punt in the draft.

smith's best footy is behind him. it would be wise of the club to trade him on for draft picks while he still holds some value in the market place

Same could be said of half a dozen players at any club across the league that are past the age of 27/28.

What that says to blokes that are 20/21/22 about loyalty and commitment is another thing entirely.

like i said... its a tough call. the same tough call that should have been made years ago on dixon. and its not just because he's passed his best. i just don't think he is as good as some believe. it'd be a good time to try and organise a deal while clubs still display interest.
i'd much rather invest in a kid than watch Smith run around in circles, chip to players behind him, getting caught with the ball and turning the ball over during the next 2-3 years.

Maybe in the next two/three years we might actually have a half-forward line to direct our play through rather than having to look to continually run wide/sideways/over-possess and not need that indirect style of play?

Smith was direct when we had Holland, Barker, Rawlings up and fit and playing. Who's to say that can't happen again with Boyle, Franklin, Roughie, Willo?

good point... but the hawks prob won't come good for another 2-3 years. and smith prob won't be around to enjoy the success that the club is hopeing to have in that time.

So we clear/trade him and it again comes back to a loyalty issue.

He's shown it and we applaud him for it but a year later look to move him on?

Okay, so it happens and we do okay trade wise out of it.

Yet, when Franklin has a contract dangled in front of him from W/C or Freo, when the Woods come calling for Roughie, when Essendon goes after Lewis, what can we say to them about loyalty?

Smith's on good money but nothing outstanding. He's given good service and shown loyalty so that should count towards keeping him while he's still a solid performer. If a bloke wants out (Rawlings, McPharlin, Thompson) then okay. Deal, try to do the best by the club and either cut the loss or maximise the trade to our advantage.

Don't (Croad fiasco should be a lesson here) trade on blokes that don't want to leave as (imo) it just creates an atmosphere of uncertainty and removes the loyalty that you need at a successful club.

Lay off Smith. He was ordinary early in the season, much better last 4 weeks....He'll have his bitch Hird this week too...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back