Oppo Camp Regular Non Eagles Discussion V2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure they asked for a high compo pick, which was rightfully denied.

But, from reading the article, it looks like Jones for whatever reason can't be 'retired' or placed 'inactive' prior to the draft/s - so they have to replace him in the SSP. In that sense their request was reasonable - can they take pick 100 in the draft, or a pick in the PSD or a rookie draft pick to replace the player. (the answer was no, but that aspect of it seems a reasonable concession).

Well don't I feel a bit silly now!

In one of the rare instances of foresight, the AFL knocked it back as it would be an unlevel playing field if they gave them a pick in the PSD, rookie or national draft.

Reason being there could well be other clubs who are in the same situation as Carlton are with Jones, if it happens after those drafts than the only avenue they have to replace the player would be the supplemental draft.

So if they make the ruling early it's the supplemental draft to replace players who choose to retire de to the vaxx policy, it's the same conditions for everyone.

It's just an administrative thing though. As if he had retired prior to the list lodgement dates they would have the draft pick/list spot.

I actually think the AFL should have allowed Carlton another pick in the draft (not a priority pick, but to use their next pick at 100/150 whatever that they currently can't due to not having a list spot).

I get why the AFL have list lodgments etc (salary cap being the main reason) - but in this case I'm assuming Carlton made a submission that covered off those items (and again, I assume that it was pretty clear that Jones retired and got a reduced payout so there would be free salary cap. Makes sense to me that Carlton (and any other team who has a player retire with reduced payout pre-draft) should be allowed to fill that list spot in the drafts (using picks they already hold or trade-in on the night).

Prestia and Balta. May be a few more at the Tigers. Wonder if long covid causes players a few issues after they recover?

Like chronic fatigue after glandular fever or Ross River virus that has knocked around a few AFL players in the past.

Certainly can be long term effects.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have no doubt long COVID is a thing, but a that seems an incredibly weird way to measure it's impact

"Examining the impact of Covid infection on football players in Germany and Italy, it finds their performance (measured by passes) dips by 6% when they return after the illness and is still 5% down six months on"

Have no doubt long COVID is a thing, but a that seems an incredibly weird way to measure it's impact

"Examining the impact of Covid infection on football players in Germany and Italy, it finds their performance (measured by passes) dips by 6% when they return after the illness and is still 5% down six months on"

Yeah it is. But you could try wading through this:

Edit: looks like only effect was on acceleration

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Crazy how over 2 seasons we had 1 player get Covid ( Bombers player last year) and so far we have had a couple of players and some staff too.

protocols were much stricter in 19/20 and players likely more aware/compliant to those protocols (knowing that testing positive would end the season for all teams, not just theirs)

*Richmond players and WAGs excluded from the above of course...

Players, and society in general (on the east coast - where lockdowns have been in place) have a lot more freedom now, and there is a lot of COVID in the community. It's probably not a surprise that a couple of players have it (if anything, I'm surprised that there hasn't been an outbreak at a club as yet. I hope that continues).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crazy how over 2 seasons we had 1 player get Covid ( Bombers player last year) and so far we have had a couple of players and some staff too.
I guess thats the result of living with COVID. I hope that in a few seasons players won't even get tested and will just rest and recover like any other virus.

It’ll still be a thing for a while to come IMO. It’s more easily transmissible than most other common viruses that we’ve learned to live with, so even if there’s a low risk of one player getting seriously ill, there’ll also be the risk of entire teams and senior staff getting it if we are no longer being diligent about it.

It’ll still be a thing for a while to come IMO. It’s more easily transmissible than most other common viruses that we’ve learned to live with, so even if there’s a low risk of one player getting seriously ill, there’ll also be the risk of entire teams and senior staff getting it if we are no longer being diligent about it.
Interesting perspective. It could be the new Gastro. Watch Chris Scott trott out the COVID excuse for why his players don't peform in the 2022 prelim.

Interesting perspective. It could be the new Gastro. Watch Chris Scott trott out the COVID excuse for why his players don't peform in the 2022 prelim.
To be fair, most of the Cats players are in a higher risk category than most of the league so they need to cautious

I used to laugh at these wistful success goals as well, but then Richmond went on and ruined it all by delivering upon it...

How about the pressure on Longmuir though, about to enter your third season in a rebuild after respective finishes of 12th and 11th...

"By the way the club is now expecting three top four finishes over the next four seasons with at least one premiership..."

To put it in perspective, their key forward combination of Taberner and Lobb kicked 57 goals between them in 2021 - which is the Docker's best such return since the Pavlich era. However, they are both 29 next year and any future improvement over 2021 will be negligible.

Since the turn of the millennium (with the exception of 2020 which had less matches and reduced minutes), no premiership team has failed to have a pairing that combined for at least 75 goals. In all but four seasons, that combination has tallied over 90 goals.

Fremantle do not have a goalkicker on their list, and excepting some radical development from any new draftees, won't have any over the foreseeable period that this "Strategic Plan" covers - lest two which is part of the requirement for building a premiership team.

Absolute fantasy stuff. With the exception of the Cerra departure their rebuild is actually coming along pretty well - making completely unrealistic plans like this however will just build false hope among their supporters and place additional pressure upon a coach who is still finding his way.

If Fremantle were as good at defeating other clubs as they are at defeating themselves they would already have a premiership by now.

I used to laugh at these wistful success goals as well, but then Richmond went on and ruined it all by delivering upon it...

How about the pressure on Longmuir though, about to enter your third season in a rebuild after respective finishes of 12th and 11th...

"By the way the club is now expecting three top four finishes over the next four seasons with at least one premiership..."

To put it in perspective, their key forward combination of Taberner and Lobb kicked 57 goals between them in 2021 - which is the Docker's best such return since the Pavlich era. However, they are both 29 next year and any future improvement over 2021 will be negligible.

Since the turn of the millennium (with the exception of 2020 which had less matches and reduced minutes), no premiership team has failed to have a pairing that combined for at least 75 goals. In all but four seasons, that combination has tallied over 90 goals.

Fremantle do not have a goalkicker on their list, and excepting some radical development from any new draftees, won't have any over the foreseeable period that this "Strategic Plan" covers - lest two which is part of the requirement for building a premiership team.

Absolute fantasy stuff. With the exception of the Cerra departure their rebuild is actually coming along pretty well - making completely unrealistic plans like this however will just build false hope among their supporters and place additional pressure upon a coach who is still finding his way.

If Fremantle were as good at defeating other clubs as they are at defeating themselves they would already have a premiership by now.
Freo have some really good youngsters coming through. They may miss them teaming up with the senior leaders like fyfe,mindy,walters and co tho to make a run at a cup.i guess its a balancing act getting the good juniors up and about while tge veyerens are still performing

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back