Relationship between buddy and his ex team mates

Remove this Banner Ad

lol of course they're all still mates, just like gablett jnr and the geelong boys. In the words of the great Malcolm Blight, no one gives a 'rats tossbag' about team allegiances anymore

Is this a serious question?
Of course. How likely are you to belt a mate on the sporting field because he dropped a teammate of yours you have known a 10th of the time?

Of course. How likely are you to belt a mate on the sporting field because he dropped a teammate of yours you have known a 10th of the time?

Who 'belts' these days? They would definitely go in and fly the flag with push and shove, you see it all the time with mates playing mates.

C'mon you've played footy haven't you?

Who 'belts' these days? They would definitely go in and fly the flag with push and shove, you see it all the time with mates playing mates.

C'mon you've played footy haven't you?
Yeah that is a given, but it's a hypothetical situation. Lake isn't afraid to choke a bloke on the field, so if it was Buddy on the other end, and Gibson or whoever standing over them, how would they react? rhetorical question probably, but would be interesting to see how it would unfold.

Yeah that is a given, but it's a hypothetical situation. Lake isn't afraid to choke a bloke on the field, so if it was Buddy on the other end, and Gibson or whoever standing over them, how would they react? rhetorical question probably, but would be interesting to see how it would unfold.

So I take it you haven't played because if you have you would know what would happen in that situation.

So I take it you haven't played because if you have you would know what would happen in that situation.
Never came across it in my playing days, as I only ever played with mates and never against them in a competitive environment. Players can often get into altercations with teammates due to rough treatment (Senta belted his teamate back at Carlton), so when emotions are high, who knows what happens. I can only speculate that you stand by and watch them go at it or attempt to break it up and get on with the game. Or do an Aker and ignore it.

Most fans completely misunderstand the relationship between the workers in this industry. Were it not for the mutual respect they observe, there could be a death on the field every second week. It might just be the last vestiges of that sport thingy - something which disappeared from American football forty years ago.

I think it is evident that Buddy wasn't just upset about losing the flag, by the way he ditched his Sydney 'bros' to head over to the bus. He doesn't care about them as much as he cares about his old boys. It was a bit of a nightmare (I know, millionaires don't have nightmares) that it was his mates that had beaten his new side. Probably had to deal with a flood of memories at the same time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it is evident that Buddy wasn't just upset about losing the flag, by the way he ditched his Sydney 'bros' to head over to the bus. He doesn't care about them as much as he cares about his old boys. It was a bit of a nightmare (I know, millionaires don't have nightmares) that it was his mates that had beaten his new side. Probably had to deal with a flood of memories at the same time

I agree 100% with this. Franklin MAY have reason to laugh in future, and he MAY have that premiership experience with the Swans, but right now he'd be feeling so out of it. To watch all his former team mates celebrating a flag would be a very bitter pill to swallow. Maybe time will change that, but right now he'd be feeling like shit.

I agree 100% with this. Franklin MAY have reason to laugh in future, and he MAY have that premiership experience with the Swans, but right now he'd be feeling so out of it. To watch all his former team mates celebrating a flag would be a very bitter pill to swallow. Maybe time will change that, but right now he'd be feeling like shit.

And then he goes home to Jacinta

Buddy's made it now, moneywise.

Wouldn't care that much about whether Swans win the premiership, just as long as he gets paid and he performs ok so that he doesn't get too much media scrutiny. Buddy has got enough premierships so that aspect isn't so important.

At the end of the day, AFL footy is a job - it isn't going to war with brothers, or whatever other romanticised nonsense the fans believe. Buddy has made friends with Hawks players and a tough day on the field isn't going to change that.

Wouldn't care that much about whether Swans win the premiership, just as long as he gets paid and he performs ok so that he doesn't get too much media scrutiny. Buddy has got enough premierships so that aspect isn't so important.

At the end of the day, AFL footy is a job - it isn't going to war with brothers, or whatever other romanticised nonsense the fans believe. Buddy has made friends with Hawks players and a tough day on the field isn't going to change that.

No doubt the fact he has 2 flags that he will be fulfilled when his career ends. But to say he doesnt care about winning/losing the flag is absolute rubbish.

He still does all the hard work during the pre-season and then through the season, works his ass off to be the ebst player he can be in the team he is now playing for. He would be spewing he didnt win the flag. Every player, whether on $50k or $1.5m all play to win premierships and to get so close would absolutly kill him.

As for the OP's question, his relationship would be extreemly storng with majority at hawthorn. His best mates play there and those bonds wont be broken by him leaving to goto sydney. All players now realise that AFL is a business and changing teams happens.

But to say he doesnt care about winning/losing the flag is absolute rubbish.

He still does all the hard work during the pre-season and then through the season, works his ass off to be the ebst player he can be

He does all the hard work during pre-season because that is his job - he is paid to do that. Take away the $10m and give him the chance of "premiership glory", do you think he would bother with all the hard work?

He would like to win the flag, heck everyone does, however he won't be burning as bad as the other Swans players over last weekend's result.

Premiership glory is overrated for players. Nick Riewoldt and Mat Pavlich wouldn't be trading their careers for Spangher's any time soon.

Buddy is an alpha. He wants to win win win in any competitive environment. Business first, mates at the appropriate times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back