Richmond hierarchy aimed for finals, not a premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO Dan Richardson has to be sacked after his comments...how can he stay in charge when he is actively leading the club to mediocrity?
Problem is it wouldnt just be him...id imagine all the other major people at the club signed off on the strategy...at least Hardwick and the head recruiter for sure...probably even Brendan Gale.
There's no way he did this on his own.
It's the club's strategy - approved and signed off at board level.

8 year rebuild?

2004: 16th Richmond, 15th Hawthorn

3 years later, Richmond last, Hawthorn in the SFs.
4, Richmond 9th Hawthorn premier
8, Richmond 12, Hawthorn premier

That's just Richmond going full Richmond.

The * is an 8 year rebuild?

I mean we used 38 players in 2008. 8 of them are still on our list. I think Hawthorn (the team that won the flag that year) has less. Every club turns over the majority of their list in an 8 year period.

So what approach do they take now? Another quick rebuild to 'just make finals'? Because richmonds current list is not winning a flag nor is it winning a final, and I doubt they're even good enough to make finals.

If I was a tigers fan I'd be furious hearing this, knowing that the next 4-5 years the club may be just aiming to finish top 8 and be happy.

Big changes have to take place if they ever want to make the big dance again.

Think a few people are getting carried away here, al he says is that they suplimented compromised drafts with mature age recruits in an attempt to be more competitive. Not that they gave up on a premiership or anything.

ill think you'll find he said more than that...his comments suggested a full 8 year rebuild would be required to see them really push to the top of the ladder...but he took a shortcut.

And at the end of the day, he says he KNEW that getting these mature aged recruits would not lead Richmond to a premiership...but they have continued doing it anyway even just last year recruiting the likes of Townsend and Moore.

The whole situation reeks of a group of people at Richmond just trying to save their own jobs...

Richardson probably knew the 8 year rebuild the club needed would cost him his job along the way, so decided to go for some cheap wins to keep the supporters happy for a while
I'm sure that this strategy made it easier for the club hierarchy.
There's also a lot more prestige and money to go around when you are making finals, playing Friday nights, and have 75,000 members.

8 year rebuild?

The **** is an 8 year rebuild?

I mean we used 38 players in 2008. 8 of them are still on our list. I think Hawthorn (the team that won the flag that year) has less. Every club turns over the majority of their list in an 8 year period.
Dan the Man isn't all there IMO. We are 7 years in anyway and need to rebuild. Blokes a dumb campaigner.

The AFL did not help us when they conveniantly brought the two new teams in when Richmond were crying out for draft picks.
We just haven't got the depth atm.

No doubt they timed it just to screw with you.

8 year rebuild?

The **** is an 8 year rebuild?

Lol yeah even the timeframe of 8 years was outrageous...we've seen clubs turn it around much faster and go from a cellar dweller to a top team within 5.

29b0c270-e6ae-0132-cefa-0e01949ad350.gif

We are also a hunted club.Opposition fans get great pleasure out of beating Richmond so we play a grand final every week.All the big 4 clubs face that imo.

Hahahahahaha - mate, you're (still) living in the 70's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dry your tears. Gold Coast and GWS pillaging the draft affected every club.
Affected the club massively.
Why are GWS flying?
Number one draft picks.

They got the lucky dip compared to Gold Coast.
And they poached champs from other clubs.
Money talks.

When Richmond go after a player,every club goes after him because they know they can sell therre club better due to Richmond'shistory so we are always behind the 8 ball.
Collingwood have mountains of cash,they will always get their man.
The media ,what can I say ,danced on our graves when we were looking like being hung by the AFL.
They have a skip in their step again this year because Richmond are failing.

It just shows how out of wack we are as a club, unfortunately its not going to change anytime soon. The only way would be a board takeover, forcing a complete change.

Lol yeah even the timeframe of 8 years was outrageous...we've seen clubs turn it around much faster and go from a cellar dweller to a top team within 5.

West Coast 14/16 2001, premier 2006
Geelong 12/16 2003, premier 2007
Hawthorn 15/16 2004, premier 2008
Collingwood 15/16 2005, premier 2010
Sydney 12/16 2009, premier 2012

Hahahahahaha - mate, you're (still) living in the 70's.
No I'm not.
Demons fans celebrated like a premiership beating us this year,grand final hangover the next week against the Saints,got smashed.
Collingwood went apedroppings beating us,lost the game the next week.
Port couldn't give a toss for 3 quarters then they played Richmond and played like it was the last game on Earth.
We are dfinately a hunted team.
Have you seen the bay everytime we lose a game?
Opposition fans revel in Richmond losses more than all the other teams combined!!
In fact the only team when it's OUR grand final is Hawthorn but not this year,too many outs and young players in and loss of confidence.

'See what youre saying but you cant solely look at it comparing to the past of Richmond itself...they need to compare themselves to the best teams in the competition. 3 finals losses in a row is better than they have done in the last 30 years true, but its still mediocre in the grand scheme of things.

They need to start looking and thinking bigger and higher

I don't disagree but if you told Richmond supporters in 2009/10 "you'll make finals 3 years running from 2013-2015" I think most of them would take it in a heartbeat.

I am a Richmond footy fan. I am asking all fans of all clubs as common fans and AFL HQ the question.

In the media today, words have come out today to the effect, some suggest, some at the the RFC may have been focusing on not winning a premiership but rather winning finals and nothing more for a lengthy period.

My question is does this constitute tanking?

Has the game been brought into disrepute as a result?

Further more I have added some other polls which may be relevant to all fans desires.

Bear in mind this could happen to your club if not addressed. What do you think AFL HQ should do in regard to preventing this occurring at your club?

Last edited:
Just read this on the AFL website..unbelievable read.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-05-...for-recruiting-strategy-says-football-manager

Richmonds football manager has basically admitted that the club leaders decided to implement a recruiting strategy of getting mature aged recruits so that the side would be more competitive, but knowing that it would not lead to a premiership.

He also claims that making finals 3 years in a row is a 'good achievement' despite the fact they didnt win any.

Part of his reasoning is that he didnt think Tiger members would accept an 8 year rebuild...so instead went for a 4 year rebuild basically aimed at making finals to keep the masses happy...it has now been 7 years since Hardwick took over and ultimately they have gone nowhere but had they gone for the full 8 year rebuild they could be challenging right now.

I actually feel sorry for Richmond fans and for Richmonds stars like Deledio, Riewoldt, Rance etc who now realise the last 7 years has basically been a waste of time thanks to the clubs leaders who arent even trying to get a premiership.

I just raised a separate question thread for fans whether they think RFC has tanked or not

I would cancel my membership if my CEO or someone else said that, what an absolute joke of a club.

Money and time down the drain supporting these idiots.

Affected the club massively.
Why are GWS flying?
Number one draft picks.

They got the lucky dip compared to Gold Coast.
And they poached champs from other clubs.
Money talks.

When Richmond go after a player,every club goes after him because they know they can sell therre club better due to Richmond'shistory so we are always behind the 8 ball.
Collingwood have mountains of cash,they will always get their man.
The media ,what can I say ,danced on our graves when we were looking like being hung by the AFL.
They have a skip in their step again this year because Richmond are failing.

Lol that was biggest bunch of sorry 'woe is me' excuses i have heard.

I am a Richmond footy fan. I am asking all fans of all clubs as common fans and AFL HQ the question.

In the media today, words have come out today to the effect, some suggest, some at the the RFC may have been focusing on not winning a premiership but rather winning finals and nothing more for a lengthy period.

My question is does this constitute tanking?

Has the game been brought into disrepute as a result?

Further more I have added some other polls which may be relevant to all fans desires.

Bear in mind this could happen to your club if not addressed. What do you think AFL HQ should do in regard to preventing this occurring at your club?

Tanking would imply they know that they're s**t :pileofpoop:. I honestly don't think they realise that yet.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back