No Oppo Supporters Brett Deledio Watch - Farewell Lids and good luck at the GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Take a look at the whole draft. It was ordinary. It was the worst draft in history.
Just our luck as I can't remember us taking 8 picks in any other draft. On top of that we traded another three players from that draft into the club later on. Nearly one in 6 of the players in the worst draft in history ended up at Tigerland. Sigh. :(

Last edited:
Contending in three years ? I'd love it to be true but can't see it happen unless drastic changes happen ...

Hawthorn, 14th 2005 -> Hawthorn Premiers 2008
Port Adelaide, 16th 2011 -> Made Prelims and were a whisker away from a GF in 2014
West Coast Eagles, 13th 2013 -> grand finalists in 2015
Western Bulldogs, 14th in 2014 -> Prelim (maybe even further)
GWS 16th 2014 -> Prelim (maybe further) [contentious one given the start up concessions]

Now i defined contender as a preliminary or better and I didn't put a whole of effort into this but I could find more if I went looking. Fact is with the right drafting, trading and development we can contend in three years. I could argue we're a lot better off then some of those teams listed. Some of them spent extended periods wallowing at the bottom of the ladder accumulating young talent where as we've got some serious A-grade talent that has already experienced some finals footy (even if it was three failed elimination finals).

I think if our promising young talent can take that next step and join our 5 genuine A-graders we can have a serious crack at a flag. Our window has changed slightly but it's still open.

*Also factor in what a new coach could achieve with our list. If Dimma delivers us another failed season then he's gone and we'll get another coach who will have a couple of years with our talent still at it's prime. A new coach and a new game plan can do wonders for a team. Port took 2014 on with a new game style and I would argue that Beveridge is a very large reason why the bullies are doing so well.

Port Adelaide, 16th 2011 -> Made Prelims and were a whisker away from a GF in 2014
GWS 16th 2014 -> Prelim (maybe further) [contentious one given the start up concessions]

Now i defined contender as a preliminary or better and I didn't put a whole of effort into this but I could find more if I went looking. Fact is with the right drafting, trading and development we can contend in three years. I could argue we're a lot better off then some of those teams listed. Some of them spent extended periods wallowing at the bottom of the ladder accumulating young talent where as we've got some serious A-grade talent that has already experienced some finals footy (even if it was three failed elimination finals).

I think if our promising young talent can take that next step and join our 5 genuine A-graders we can have a serious crack at a flag. Our window has changed slightly but it's still open.

*Also factor in what a new coach could achieve with our list. If Dimma delivers us another failed season then he's gone and we'll get another coach who will have a couple of years with our talent still at it's prime. A new coach and a new game plan can do wonders for a team. Port took 2014 on with a new game style and I would argue that Beveridge is a very large reason why the bullies are doing so well.
I do hope you are proven correct ... But we need to get a gun or two from the draft and have access to the picks to do so

As I've said all year, if we were going to go anywhere under Hardwick it would of already happened. 8 year rebuilds are just bullshit for idiots.

As I've said all year, if we were going to go anywhere under Hardwick it would of already happened. 8 year rebuilds are just bullshit for idiots.
Don't be duped as DH never rebuilt the list. He added serviceable players to a batch of five primed guns plus sheds and Maric peaked. As soon as the duds reached their ceiling and some of the A graders dropped off with form and injury we were swamped.
Balme hinted an extended rebuild with lots of work , so he knows the pieces he's been left to work with.

Deledio talking highly of Rance and Martin...I really cant imagine Deledio playing for another club. Ive noticed the last few days RFC website has a few articles about Deledio

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2016-09-17/deledios-high-praise-for-martin-rance

Deledio was blown away by what Martin managed to produce on such a consistent basis throughout the season.

“I remember playing in games with him and at half-time you’d see him already on 19 or 20 touches. And then, by the end of the game, you look up in the last quarter and he’s on nearly 40,” Deledio said on RSN.

“He just gets so much of the ball. His work in close was so much improved, and his ability to break tackles . . . I think I saw a stat that he’s broken the most tackles ever, for someone playing the game . . .

“It just goes to show how good those two players (Martin and Rance) were in a trying year for us.

Don't be duped as DH never rebuilt the list. He added serviceable players to a batch of five primed guns plus sheds and Maric peaked. As soon as the duds reached their ceiling and some of the A graders dropped off with form and injury we were swamped.
Balme hinted an extended rebuild with lots of work , so he knows the pieces he's been left to work with.

100% correct, RFC has never seen a rebuild and would not know what it looks like!!

Thats the problem in a nutshell. Short term snake oil salesman providing lip service to planning while hypocritically electing to take short cuts!!

Should have been our captain all along really.
I agree, I'm one of Cotchin's biggest fans. Love him, but he was not ready to be captain. Should have been Lids the last three or four years and then maybe Cotchin depending on how he performed, which I'm willing to bet would have been a hell of a lot better if he'd not had the burden of being Captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That dropkick Stevo on the gameday show this morning i have just read has said that Lids is 50/50 to stay, this is despite the fact that Lids himself has said he isn't going anywhere more than once in the last few days, are these media dropkicks just plain stupid or are they holding onto the faint hope that one of our guns leave.

Looks to me like the implosion from the club the media were banking on this trade period isn't going to happen and to be fair never was and they are really struggling to come to terms with that.

That dropkick Stevo on the gameday show this morning i have just read has said that Lids is 50/50 to stay, this is despite the fact that Lids himself has said he isn't going anywhere more than once in the last few days, are these media dropkicks just plain stupid or are they holding onto the faint hope that one of our guns leave.

Looks to me like the implosion from the club the media were banking on this trade period isn't going to happen and to be fair never was and they are really struggling to come to terms with that.
The media are bloody stupid. They should be talking about GWS, WB, Syd and Gee but are too focused on us. Seriously they need to get over themselves.

Ottens said he was going nowhere, he left. Players lie. coaches lie. clubs lie. managers lie.

I agree, I'm one of Cotchin's biggest fans. Love him, but he was not ready to be captain. Should have been Lids the last three or four years and then maybe Cotchin depending on how he performed, which I'm willing to bet would have been a hell of a lot better if he'd not had the burden of being Captain.
Its a self fulfilling prophecy. They are promoting it, just so they say they are in the loop with goss.

It's no coincidence. He won a Brownlow in 2012. Became captain in 2013 and hasn't won one since. :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back