Richmond to set up second home at Craigieburn

Remove this Banner Ad

Sam Edmund, sports affairs reporter
November 22, 2007 02:30pm

RICHMOND is set to adopt Craigieburn as its home away from home as the Tigers look to expand training facilities.

The club is expected to oversee the construction of a top-quality ground in Melbourne's outer north for training and practice matches in a move that has thrilled locals.

A lack of access to Punt Rd Oval during cricket season and the historic ground's smaller dimensions have prompted the 25km move down the Hume Highway.

It is hoped an announcement will be made by AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou when he speaks at a Hume City Council business breakfast next Friday.

Richmond will maintain its administration and player facilities at Punt Rd, with its home of nearly 100 years due to undergo a major renovation.

"Because of the cricket pitches and the sze of the ground we can't play practice matches at Punt Rd," Richmond football director Greg Miller said.

"Clubs need a second venue and it's something we've been investigating for a while.

"It's a back-up venue, we're not moving. This will be used for training and practice matches and that sort of thing."

It is unclear how often Matthew Richardson, Nathan Brown and co. will have to make the 40-minute trek to get to the yet-to-be-determined oval.

Hume City Council mayor Gary Jungwirth, a life-long Richmond supporter, was excited at the prospect of the yellow and black preparing for battle in his region.

"I think any growing municipality with so many young families would like to have the opportunity to see top quality sport, whether it be football, cricket or soccer," Cr Jungwirth said.

"It's absolutely exciting and we're hoping, but there hasn't been a final determination yet."

Cr Jungwirth said Craigieburn was the perfect solution for the Tigers.

"There's plenty of land out here because it's a growth part of Melbourne and via the Tullamarine Freeway, Western Ring Road and Hume Freeway, it's very easy to get to," he said.

"But the council has signed nothing. It's gone to council for approval and it's awaiting agreement from all parties."

News of Richmond's potential move comes two days after St Kilda confirmed it would relocate to a $10 million world-class facility in Frankston.

Certainly is out of the blue but the idea of having a regular venue to play Practice matches etc, is a good idea. Positioning in growth area is a good idea - electric train has just gone through to that area as well.

As to why Craigieburn? Lots of space yes but so does other outer areas of Melb. I guess it is only 25 K's from the city whereas out east or south are 35 - 40 (and saints now have south) West is Footscary's domain - perhaps that coud be it.

I think there is something big going down in the AFL in terms of restructing of the Melbourne market and clubs are scrambling to adopt areas to secure their futures.

St Kilda to down south, Richmond to the North East along with the Bulldogs owning the West, Geelong owning Geelong and the Hawthorn topping up the East and its starting to become more tribal again i.e. the midrange clubs pushing into/representing designated areas.

Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood are traditionally more strong and probably can survive without a chair in the giant game of AFL musical chairs but who is going to be left without a chair - North Melbourne and Melbourne?

With Melbourne being now known as the Melbourne Football Club and not the Melbourne Demons I think there is a really big game going on and the AFL are looking to very seriously take a couple of chairs away. Melbourne are just trying to have more bargaining power.

I think there is something big going down in the AFL in terms of restructing of the Melbourne market and clubs are scrambling to adopt areas to secure their futures.

St Kilda to down south, Richmond to the North East along with the Bulldogs owning the West, Geelong owning Geelong and the Hawthorn topping up the East and its starting to become more tribal again i.e. the midrange clubs pushing into/representing designated areas.

Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood are traditionally more strong and probably can survive without a chair in the giant game of AFL musical chairs but who is going to be left without a chair - North Melbourne and Melbourne?

With Melbourne being now known as the Melbourne Football Club and not the Melbourne Demons I think there is a really big game going on and the AFL are looking to very seriously take a couple of chairs away. Melbourne are just trying to have more bargaining power.

Spot on. Carlton, Essendon and Collingwood have infrastructure they can easily build or modify to suit their needs in their existing areas, which precludes them from the need to be looking elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sellouts? Sellouts??? Didn't Hawthorn abandon their ground at Glenferrie a couple of years ago to head out to Waverly? At least we aren't leaving our ground altogether.

There may have been an element of scarcasm in that comment perhaps? :rolleyes:

Seems like a good thing, sets up a viable summer training base where they can also set up clubrooms to bring more income into the club. Punt Rd will still be our main training base but being able to host practice matches not just our own but amongst other AFL clubs as well.

Surely this is a joke.

What about Coburg???
What about Coburg, their our VFL side.

We aren't going to make any money setting up a second training base in Coburg, in case you havent realised its an absolute shithole

Remove this Banner Ad

Back