Preview Richmond vs GWS | Sunday July 23rd | MCG 1:10 PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I stepped inside an old bar, I couldn't help but look around.
The years had taken their toll on the old girl, the customers and waitresses and I knew they were all sharing a drink, one that I was hoping I might be about to share in.
As I approached the bar, not really interested in drinking but with the intention of having one, the Irish backpacker behind the bar looked up with melancholy eyes - wondering how it was she was still serving in bars around the world when she had bigger plans.

She was going to be a singer, and she had a great voice, alas she met a man in her early 20's and for 2 great years she took her eyes off the prize and now that life plan has drifted back into a vision she replays every night, along with the song she found that makes her think of him somehow.

I order a pint of larger because it's just after midday and who here is going to judge?
I tap my credit card on the EFTPOS machine and hear an all too familiar beep that reminds me of the money I can't spend.
I let the lass know I don't need a receipt, I have bigger things to worry about than causing more rubbish for the environment and walk over to a stool by the window.

The table has less dust on it than I expected, but then again, heartache may be the flavour of today going by the couple in the booth clearly trying to talk things out, the group of likely lads outside lighting up yet another cigarette rallying around a friend who looks like he could be laying in bed with a familiar one, the waitress looking at her phone, sending text messages like crazy mouthing "are you mine?" and myself sitting in here wondering if I'll get emotionally checked back in.

The walls have cracks and those cracks are joined up by the cracks of light popping through the gaps in the blackout blinds, but those cracks tell a story.
It reminds us how old and historic this place is, and what it has seen - like sand on a beach.
The big screen TV's have come and gone and the sounds of a pokie machine remind you we are now in 2017 but fundamentally inside this quiet bar it still has that same passion and inner child that the locals walking in from the smoking area feel.
That same feeling I get when I think about the emotionally checked in years.

I finish the last of my pint in one big sip and place the glass on the table, straighten up my jacket and head towards the door.
The people in here may not know it, but we all share a common bond.
It's not the drink we all call loneliness, no, it's one powerful entity that takes over the city for 2 hours every weekend.
It fills 100 000 seats and it's still sleeping.

Boy, wait until he wakes up, because when it does you'll hear a roar that intimidates even the strongest of the strong.
A prehistoric beast that roamed as the King for decades is slowly coming back.
How did it leave us? Many reasons are truly behind it but now as he returns he will return to his rightful place atop of the Throne and I for one cannot wait.

As I leave the very door I walked in I light up my own cigarette and take off towards Punt Road.
I feel better as I left, than when I walked in.
And I don't know why.
But all I do know is...

... Tigers by 16 points...

EAT 'EM ALIVE!

Sterge

Brilliant.

Tigers by about 15 if we play well. If we play like we did last time, except kick straight ad don't fall apart at the end 60 points ... Who am I kidding, we don't win by 10 goals. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol are you sure you're not Groupie's alt? :D

nah cause groopy would be saying...

"we are cooked, gws off the rebound, gonna get done by 12 goals"

As I stepped inside an old bar, I couldn't help but look around.
The years had taken their toll on the old girl, the customers and waitresses and I knew they were all sharing a drink, one that I was hoping I might be about to share in.
As I approached the bar, not really interested in drinking but with the intention of having one, the Irish backpacker behind the bar looked up with melancholy eyes - wondering how it was she was still serving in bars around the world when she had bigger plans.

She was going to be a singer, and she had a great voice, alas she met a man in her early 20's and for 2 great years she took her eyes off the prize and now that life plan has drifted back into a vision she replays every night, along with the song she found that makes her think of him somehow.

I order a pint of larger because it's just after midday and who here is going to judge?
I tap my credit card on the EFTPOS machine and hear an all too familiar beep that reminds me of the money I can't spend.
I let the lass know I don't need a receipt, I have bigger things to worry about than causing more rubbish for the environment and walk over to a stool by the window.

The table has less dust on it than I expected, but then again, heartache may be the flavour of today going by the couple in the booth clearly trying to talk things out, the group of likely lads outside lighting up yet another cigarette rallying around a friend who looks like he could be laying in bed with a familiar one, the waitress looking at her phone, sending text messages like crazy mouthing "are you mine?" and myself sitting in here wondering if I'll get emotionally checked back in.

The walls have cracks and those cracks are joined up by the cracks of light popping through the gaps in the blackout blinds, but those cracks tell a story.
It reminds us how old and historic this place is, and what it has seen - like sand on a beach.
The big screen TV's have come and gone and the sounds of a pokie machine remind you we are now in 2017 but fundamentally inside this quiet bar it still has that same passion and inner child that the locals walking in from the smoking area feel.
That same feeling I get when I think about the emotionally checked in years.

I finish the last of my pint in one big sip and place the glass on the table, straighten up my jacket and head towards the door.
The people in here may not know it, but we all share a common bond.
It's not the drink we all call loneliness, no, it's one powerful entity that takes over the city for 2 hours every weekend.
It fills 100 000 seats and it's still sleeping.

Boy, wait until he wakes up, because when it does you'll hear a roar that intimidates even the strongest of the strong.
A prehistoric beast that roamed as the King for decades is slowly coming back.
How did it leave us? Many reasons are truly behind it but now as he returns he will return to his rightful place atop of the Throne and I for one cannot wait.

As I leave the very door I walked in I light up my own cigarette and take off towards Punt Road.
I feel better as I left, than when I walked in.
And I don't know why.
But all I do know is...

... Tigers by 16 points...

EAT 'EM ALIVE!

Sterge

Brilliant read Sterge!! And we danced with strangers dressed in yellow and black in the streets of Richmond 1980

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back