Riewoldt Wants Players To Get Fair Share Of AFL Earnings

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
St Kilda's Nick Riewoldt wants players' wages linked to the health of the game, amid fears their share of the revenue will fall below the 25 per cent share they currently earn.

While the equalisation debate has focused on the health of the 18 clubs, and how to quell the widening gap in football department spending, players are concerned their slice of the AFL pie will be cut unless they can share in the added revenue to be generated from a proposed luxury tax and a tax on overall revenue.

While the average player's salary has risen to $288,000, their share of the revenue is a lot less than many major sports. By comparison, Australia's top cricketers share in revenue ranging from 24.5 per cent to 27 per cent depending on how well they play. But America's NFL and NBA players receive about 50 per cent of revenue, while in the English Premier League, wages account for about 70 per cent of revenue.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nick-riewoldt-keen-for-players-to-get-fair-share-of-afl-earnings-20140305-347qb.html#ixzz2v8xadZfu

With an average wage of $288K, I reckon the players are on a pretty good wicket already.

Besides, should their wage be linked to their behaviour and a Code of Conduct too ?? Unfortunately, there'd be a few Saints players, Riewoldt included, if that were to happen.

The players keep wanting pay rises which is their right to do so but it's getting hard to understand why they should be given more and more when the current image of the game & overall player behaviours do not warrant it.

Of course the players' salary has dropped in recent seasons. The afl has out laid a lot of cash to create two new teams.

Those new teams are an essential element of the tv rights deal.

The tv rights deal along with memberships is where the bulk of the afl cash comes from.

Chill out nick and take a long term view. You're in a good place.

When you consider Vlads recent paycheck I can understand the players wanting a bigger slice of the pie.

Vlad's bonus is sure to be a contentious point, especially the bonus he just earnt, but do players really deserve more than what they are getting now ??

If the salary cap was increased, it wouldn't be all 40 on the list who got a pay rise, it would be used to pay a star player more so he'd leave his existing club via FA or prevent a player from leaving via FA. In other words, it would be more of the Buddy/Tippett fiasco.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nick-riewoldt-keen-for-players-to-get-fair-share-of-afl-earnings-20140305-347qb.html#ixzz2v8xadZfu

With an average wage of $288K, I reckon the players are on a pretty good wicket already.

Besides, should their wage be linked to their behaviour and a Code of Conduct too ?? Unfortunately, there'd be a few Saints players, Riewoldt included, if that were to happen.

The players keep wanting pay rises which is their right to do so but it's getting hard to understand why they should be given more and more when the current image of the game & overall player behaviours do not warrant it.

Interested as to what Riewoldt has ever done wrong. Seems to be the perfect role model both on and off the field.

If the salary cap was increased, it wouldn't be all 40 on the list who got a pay rise, it would be used to pay a star player more so he'd leave his existing club via FA or prevent a player from leaving via FA. In other words, it would be more of the Buddy/Tippett fiasco.

This is why you increase the salary cap, and the minimum wage and the per-game payments.

Right now, with less than 30% of revenue, the players are getting screwed.

And unless they are willing to strike, it'll stay that way.

When you consider Vlads recent paycheck I can understand the players wanting a bigger slice of the pie.

If a player messes up, it could lose his team a game, embarrass his club, and if he REALLY messes up might end his career.

If AD messes up it could lose the entire comp millions upon millions of dollars in sponsors, tv rights etc.

Sometimes pay reflects the importance of a role overall. There is more than just playing the game involved in the AFL competition. You could make the same argument for the coaches, im sure Roos is earning much much more than the majority of your playing list too.

As a result of crap AFL wages at the bottom end, blokes have survived by knocking back AFL sides.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ho-said-no-to-collingwood-20131125-2y5ko.html

Rookie wage is 54k plus 1750 a game in the reserves and that's half what he makes as a carpenter ? Doesn't seem right, unless Port where paying him heaps but he left them anyway.

If you can make the reserves team you're getting $80-90k a year, that's not bad to chase a dream.

When I was a full time musician I was sleeping on floors and in vans and ate home brand noodles exclusively.

I don't think it is unreasonable for the players to expect to earn a high wage. They have to sit back and watch American sports stars and European footballers offered wages that eclipse the GDP of many small nations, why shouldn't they earn a larger share of the multi-billion dollar business that they are a crucial part of?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Riewoldt truly wants players to get paid more, then take a pay cut.

If Riewoldt truly wants players to get paid more, then take a pay cut.
I don't know why taking a reduced salary would enable him to earn more. seems counter productive to me.

For your information, Riewoldt was one of the highest payed players in the game several years ago, but has had his salary reduced significantly since then in order to keep us under the salary cap. He offered to reduce it even more to try to convince Goddard to stay a Saint, and actually offered him the captaincy, to boot.

I know this dosen't track with the commonly held opinion of him as an exhibitionist, selfish crybaby, but it's the truth.

I don't know why taking a reduced salary would enable him to earn more. seems counter productive to me.

For your information, Riewoldt was one of the highest payed players in the game several years ago, but has had his salary reduced significantly since then in order to keep us under the salary cap. He offered to reduce it even more to try to convince Goddard to stay a Saint, and actually offered him the captaincy, to boot.

I know this dosen't track with the commonly held opinion of him as an exhibitionist, selfish crybaby, but it's the truth.

Well said, I agree.

Rookie wage is 54k plus 1750 a game in the reserves and that's half what he makes as a carpenter ? Doesn't seem right, unless Port where paying him heaps but he left them anyway.

If you can make the reserves team you're getting $80-90k a year, that's not bad to chase a dream.

When I was a full time musician I was sleeping on floors and in vans and ate home brand noodles exclusively.

Yes, $54k is quite a bit less than a carpenter earns.

Assuming a reasonable amount of overtime, he'd need to take a substantial pay cut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back