ToroHombre

Club Legend
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Who deserves to win the NAB Rising Star this year?

From a completely unbiased point of view I'd have to say Cotchin, as he just keeps on improving every week, and his disposal is exceptional for someone his age, much better than say, Palmer.

Who deserves to win the NAB Rising Star this year?

From a completely biased point of view I'd have to say Cotchin, as he just keeps on improving every week, and his disposal is exceptional for someone his age, much better than say, Palmer.
Palmer should win it easily....

rhys palmer for mine. while cotchin is the one who looks as if he will become the best player out of all the nominees, i think palmer is the one who deserves. think back to the 06 season and everyone knew murphy was the biggest talent in that draft but because he only played half a season the award was given to someone else adn rightly so. you can't discount palmer's efforts right from the start of this year, he has been ultra-consistent and if he could kick he'd be better than cotchin (but don't forget palmer is 2 months older than bryce gibbs so he has a pretty big advantage).

Cotchin so far has 6 less games than Palmer, hardly a big difference, barring injury to both by seasons end Cotchin will have played 15 games, to Palmer's 21, bit different to the 9(And a half) game difference to Murphy/Pearce of 06.

At the moment the stats compare like this(And I know stats can lie):
Rys Palmer's averages per game, 13.7 Kicks, 8.9 Handballs, 22.6 Disposals, 4.5 Marks, 0.4 Goals, 2.4 Tackles, 3.9 Inside 50s, 1.1 Goals Contributed.

Trent Cotchin's averages pre game, 9.5 Kicks, 7.8 Handballs, 17.2 Disposals, 4.9 Marks, 1.0 Goals, 1.6 Tackles, 2.6 Inside 50s, 2.1 Goals Contributed.

Make of that what you will, but IMO Cotchin to me looks like the one who will be the best player of the lot in last years draft, also looks like he could realistically be the only one who can snatch the title from Palmer.

Cotchin is the one who should win it due to him most likely being the best player, but so far Palmer is the one who should win it on the season he has had.

We still have another 7 rounds to go though.

Cotchin so far has 6 less games than Palmer, hardly a big difference, barring injury to both by seasons end Cotchin will have played 15 games, to Palmer's 21, bit different to the 9(And a half) game difference to Murphy/Pearce of 06.

At the moment the stats compare like this(And I know stats can lie):
Rys Palmer's averages per game, 13.7 Kicks, 8.9 Handballs, 22.6 Disposals, 4.5 Marks, 0.4 Goals, 2.4 Tackles, 3.9 Inside 50s, 1.1 Goals Contributed.

Trent Cotchin's averages pre game, 9.5 Kicks, 7.8 Handballs, 17.2 Disposals, 4.9 Marks, 1.0 Goals, 1.6 Tackles, 2.6 Inside 50s, 2.1 Goals Contributed.

Make of that what you will, but IMO Cotchin to me looks like the one who will be the best player of the lot in last years draft, also looks like he could realistically be the only one who can snatch the title from Palmer.

Cotchin is the one who should win it due to him most likely being the best player, but so far Palmer is the one who should win it on the season he has had.

We still have another 7 rounds to go though.
Stats dont mean alot to me but they are impressive numbers from Rhys, and what makes it more impressive is that he is playing in a bottom team and getting the #1 tag most weeks and still averaging more than Cotchin....

on performance i think palmer deserves to win but i agree that cotchin will be the better player long term

plays so similar to ablett

There's a lot of footy still to come, but Palmer really should win the award for the season he has had so far. Beating a tag at 18 years of age is an absolutely outstanding effort and shouldn't be underestimated. We just might see how Cotchin handles a tag if he keeps playing in the same vein as his last month.

The Melbourne media are in love with Cotchin and for that reason, I think he'll end up winning comfortably.

There's a lot of footy still to come, but Palmer really should win the award for the season he has had so far. Beating a tag at 18 years of age is an absolutely outstanding effort and shouldn't be underestimated. We just might see how Cotchin handles a tag if he keeps playing in the same vein as his last month.

The Melbourne media are in love with Cotchin and for that reason, I think he'll end up winning comfortably.
Yeh, hopefully Crowls gets Cotchin in round 21:D

Stats dont mean alot to me but they are impressive numbers from Rhys, and what makes it more impressive is that he is playing in a bottom team and getting the #1 tag most weeks and still averaging more than Cotchin....
Might also be the fact that Palmer is the only player in the Freo midfield worth tagging, sure it might be an honor to the individual, but it is also a blight on the Fremantle Football Club, nobody else in that midfield does any damage, so nobody else is worth taggin, Cotchin wont receive a tag yet because right now Foley and Deledio are 2 midfielders that can run out a match far better than Cotch due to them having a number of seasons under their belts and Cotchin not having any preseason.

Also you might want to take into account age when comparing Palmer and Cotchin, Palmer is 19 years and 5 months old(Older than Bryce Gibbs), and Cotchin is still 18 years and 3 months(Second youngest in last years draft by 3 days).

Might also be the fact that Palmer is the only player in the Freo midfield worth tagging, sure it might be an honor to the individual, but it is also a blight on the Fremantle Football Club, nobody else in that midfield does any damage, so nobody else is worth taggin, Cotchin wont receive a tag yet because right now Foley and Deledio are 2 midfielders that can run out a match far better than Cotch due to them having a number of seasons under their belts and Cotchin not having any preseason.

Also you might want to take into account age when comparing Palmer and Cotchin, Palmer is 19 years and 5 months old(Older than Bryce Gibbs), and Cotchin is still 18 years and 3 months(Second youngest in last years draft by 3 days).
The 1st part of that is true, but why are you using age as an excuse? IMO Palmer should and will win the rising star this season, but if Cotchin had have played the whole season it could be a different story, anyways thats in the past and noone can change that.

And people should not say that Cotchin is certain to be a better player than Palmer because noone knows what will happen in the future. (BTW HBK619 I am not accusing you of saying that but some people in other threads have said that)

The 1st part of that is true, but why are you using age as an excuse? IMO Palmer should and will win the rising star this season, but if Cotchin had have played the whole season it could be a different story, anyways thats in the past and noone can change that.
I was not refering to age in terms of Rising Star, I was simply stating the age difference in terms of comparing the players, that is why I said:"Also you might want to take into account age when comparing Palmer and Cotchin."

I was simply making it known that Palmer is more than 1 full year older than Cotchin and will be 20 years old very early next year.

I also agree with you that at the moment Palmer has the Rising Star Award in the bag, but the way Cotchin is playing and the fact that he has played 6 games less, Cotchin is fast catching up, surely you don't think because Cotchin has played 6 less games that he wouldn't deserve to win it, even going on current form?
And people should not say that Cotchin is certain to be a better player than Palmer because noone knows what will happen in the future. (BTW HBK619 I am not accusing you of saying that but some people in other threads have said that)
Obviously nobody knows exactly what will happen, but on the current trend and without injury, it certainly would look like Cotchin has Top 5 player written all over him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was not refering to age in terms of Rising Star, I was simply stating the age difference in terms of comparing the players, that is why I said:"Also you might want to take into account age when comparing Palmer and Cotchin."

I was simply making it known that Palmer is more than 1 full year older than Cotchin and will be 20 years old very early next year.Obviously nobody knows exactly what will happen, but on the current trend and without injury, it certainly would look like Cotchin has Top 5 player written all over him.
Ok fair enough, I dont really see the point of comparing Palmer and Cotchin right now because IMHO Palmer has been better, maybe due to Cotchin having no pre-season and Palmer should win the Rising Star if he continues to play as he has done through his 1st 14 games...

I havent seen alot of Cotchin but I did see a bit of the game today, only against the eagles I know:p but he did look to be a quality player and I agree that he does have the potential to be a top 5 player, but honestly do you think that Palmer doesnt have the same potential?

Ok fair enough, I dont really see the point of comparing Palmer and Cotchin right now because IMHO Palmer has been better, maybe due to Cotchin having no pre-season and Palmer should win the Rising Star if he continues to play as he has done through his 1st 14 games...

I havent seen alot of Cotchin but I did see a bit of the game today, only against the eagles I know:p but he did look to be a quality player and I agree that he does have the potential to be a top 5 player, but honestly do you think that Palmer doesnt have the same potential?
I think Palmer has the potential to be more of a Top 15-30 player, I agree the kid is playing some fantastic footy for a first year player and certainly will go on to great things, but I liken Palmer to Marc Murphy, one of those players who will go about his business each week and rack up the numbers and assists, but not get the huge recognition(Doesn't make him any less of a player), although Palmer does have more of an X-Factor than Murphy.

But from what has been shown of Cotchin so far he just looks and plays so much like Gary Ablett Jr., the way he runs, kicks, breaks tackles and his footy smarts are just phenomenal, watching Cotchin play is just brilliant.

I think Palmer has the potential to be more of a Top 15-30 player, I agree the kid is playing some fantastic footy for a first year player and certainly will go on to great things, but I liken Palmer to Marc Murphy, one of those players who will go about his business each week and rack up the numbers and assists, but not get the huge recognition(Doesn't make him any less of a player), although Palmer does have more of an X-Factor than Murphy.

But from what has been shown of Cotchin so far he just looks and plays so much like Gary Ablett Jr., the way he runs, kicks, breaks tackles and his footy smarts are just phenomenal, watching Cotchin play is just brilliant.
Geez obsession:D:p

Jokes;)

I think that if Rhys improved his disposal and with a couple more pre seasons behind him then in a few years he could join the elite group of players in the AFL, along with the likes of Cotchin, Selwood, possibly Gibbs (going by what Carlton fans say) etc....

Geez obsession:D:p
There is many a man crush to be had: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=452186

It's all healthy BTW.:cool::cool::cool:
I think that if Rhys improved his disposal and with a couple more pre seasons behind him then in a few years he could join the elite group of players in the AFL, along with the likes of Cotchin, Selwood, possibly Gibbs (going by what Carlton fans say) etc....
No doubt, his disposal is his biggest enemy at the moment, if he can clean that up then he has a great chance of being in the next group of Elite young guns.

I reckon Palmer, his disposal needs improvement. But for a first year player to become the team's best midfielder (hence getting the best tag) and still playing like he is, all credit to him.

Cotchin will be a better player though, but can't personally look past Palmer for this season's rising star.

Can not go past the Cotch!

Palmer has been very good aswell though should be a close one as long as neither of them miss some games with injury

Here is the latest odds on the award.
FWIW I think Cotchin deserves the award as he will be the best player, and has performed to that standard.

The fact I backed him at 100-1 is irrelevant.

18-7-2008 19:40 AEST

NAB Rising StarRhys Palmer (Fremantle) Round 3 1.50Trent Cotchin (Richmond) - Round 12 2.80Cyril Rioli (Hawthorn) Round 6 13.00Jack Riewoldt (Richmond) Round 15 21.00Matthew Kreuzer (Carlton) Round 11 34.00Garrick Ibbotson (Fremantle) Round 9 34.00Colin Garland (Melbourne) Round 14 34.00Austin Wonaeamirri (Melbourne) Round - 7 34.00Bachar Houli (Essendon) Round 1 41.00Jarryd Morton (Hawthorn) Round 13 41.00Cale Morton (Melbourne) 51.00Benjamin McKinley (West Coast) Round 5 67.00Josh Hill (Western Bulldogs) Round 2 67.00Kurt Tippett (Adelaide) Round 8 67.00Gavin Urquhart (Kangaroos) 67.00Nathan Brown (Collingwood) Round 10 81.00

I went Cotchin too, the kid's a star, no pre-season, injured foot and one of the best for the Tiges in his first season. Are there any more boxes for him to tick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back