AFL Toast Rnd 6: 14 Point Win against Norf

Remove this Banner Ad

How was the bias in the telecast last night? Simpkin drops Smith with a punch to the guys, a split second replay where Brayshaw says "Shiel catapulted him into him". No further replays.

When Shiel incident happened. They backed over and over and over again.

Same with Merrett the week before.

We are getting crucified

How long did they go on about the Hooker high tackle in the last few minutes of the game? Especially after Townsend got the goal from the boundary.

You could practically hear Richo sooking. “That’s the game now. But they should have paid that free and North should have been going into their forward 50. Not Essendon”

How long did they go on about the Hooker high tackle in the last few minutes of the game? Especially after Townsend got the goal from the boundary.

You could practically hear Richo sooking. “That’s the game now. But they should have paid that free and North should have been going into their forward 50. Not Essendon”

Infuriating night with the yellow squad and the channel 7 crew. Terrible decisions excused away, the banning on about the one they let go.

Free kick Goldstein.....

Langford is starting to become one of our more poised, classy players. He's having a very solid year so far.
Plugging holes as well in the front half. Has played a few different roles now and has been able to impact every game. Having a good season.

Last edited:

Yep with no comment about the elbow to the face that Hooksy copped first

Sounded like Richo was bored. When Langford was having a shot from just outside 50 Richo was asked if he had a chance.. after a brief pause he said Langford’s had issues in the past! Was he confused with Laverde? He really is rubbish.

As for Brayshaw you can hear the bias even though he tries very hard to hide it. One point we kicked a goal and what sounded like through clenched teeth he said that’s going to hurt with no excitement. How about great goal Essendon!!

Sounded like Richo was bored. When Langford was having a shot from just outside 50 Richo was asked if he had a chance.. after a brief pause he said Langford’s had issues in the past! Was he confused with Laverde? He really is rubbish.

As for Brayshaw you can hear the bias even though he tries very hard to hide it. One point we kicked a goal and what sounded like through clenched teeth he said that’s going to hurt with no excitement. How about great goal Essendon!!
That bit with Langford was absolutely ridiculous. Especially given hes one of our better shots at goal - and Richo if anyone should know who battles and who doesn't in this area. I like Richo but if you don't want to do a proper job then let someone who does have a go. Absurd to put that up as professional commentary.

Last edited:
Their chief snipers weren’t even playing tonight.

It’s the Shinboner Spirit - cheap shots on blokes who aren’t looking.

Don't the norf nuffies call that 'toughness'? Pity for lolnorf it doesn't translate to actually winning.

That bit with Langford was absolutely ridiculous. Especially given hes one of our better shots at goal - and Richo if anyone should know who battles and who doesn't in this area. I like Richo but if you don't ant to do a proper job then let someone who does have a go. Absurd to put that up as professional commentary.
I have literally watched a game with a then EFC assistant coach who rated him as one of the best set shots in the team. Richo definitely had him confused with Laverde.

Unpopular opinion, but I find the constant "lol we have no rivalry with North" and "North are irrelevant" thing kinda cringeworthy. Not sure what that's trying to achieve. We talk about North way too much for it to be completely irrelevant.
Yeah, I find it disrespectful and unhelpful. A good team always respects the opponent in public, unprofessional not to and likely to lead to embarrassment when said team beats us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We do it cause its hilarious, it really grinds their gears and we get posts like this from them for the

Their is a slight rivalry due to sheedy marsh mellow thing and our locations in Melbourne but they build it up as something super important.
Fine if it's a fan thing; not so fine if it's a club thing.

I think if it was played in the dry we would have spanked them. The conditions did even things up to a degree.

We definitely need another marking option forward (hello Joe).

I think if it was played in the dry we would have spanked them. The conditions did even things up to a degree.

We definitely need another marking option forward (hello Joe).
No doubt, the conditions took the skill element out of the game. Would've been a comfortable win otherwise. That being said our ability to grind out wins in any case shows how we've matured as a team, in past years we would've lost that game.

Don't the norf nuffies call that 'toughness'? Pity for lolnorf it doesn't translate to actually winning.

After Carey blew the joint they were obsessed with Archer - to the point of inventing some “Shinboner of the Century” “award” for him, and have been trying to invent some sort tough persona ever since. I imagine their players find some sort of need to live up to it. It basically just manifests itself in faux tough guys taking cheap shots on blokes not looking.

I noticed this too, Richo was just talking dribble for the sake of it. Clearly had no idea what he was saying - I think Langford is one of our most reliable shots for goal.

Hurley is right! realistically it's good to have 4 wins but don't get ahead of yourself. Yet to really kick away in a game with confidence. The link up from the midfield to forward needs a fair bit of work. Defensive pressure is good, but precision kicking, contested marking is still sorta weak. A simple analysis of kicking long down the wing or up forward means you need good overhead marking ability or spoil to a player who can run it out, if you lack those skills then its a turnover, etc..Did well last night with the ball to advantage but something as simple as a strong mark gives you 100% to play on or allows the forwards to set up for a lead. If you rely on kicking it long and ball to ground then it means way more pressure defensively and ,mostly 50/50 plays.

We don't really have a Cripps or a D.Martin inside mid, although McGrath is doing well in that regard, he win the contest and has poise to move it forward. Stringer is pretty good at that as well. Not sure who else can do that, maybe Begley, showed signs, maybe Clarke. Shiel can do it, but i'm not sure if we have a natural inside mid who just does that easily. We get a lot from Smith as well.

what we do have is a really good balance of skills from players, but it requires everyone playing to a good standard. If you have the team playing bipolar then a win or loss is just sheer luck.

Last edited:
After Carey blew the joint they were obsessed with Archer - to the point of inventing some “Shinboner of the Century” “award” for him, and have been trying to invent some sort tough persona ever since. I imagine their players find some sort of need to live up to it. It basically just manifests itself in faux tough guys taking cheap shots on blokes not looking.
The funniest thing about Ess vs North is that North fans without fail always talk about how tough they are and how weak we are. Yet every single time we win because we bully them all over the ground.

Shiel will likely go however:

An argument can be made for a head clash being the cause of any head injury sustained by Norf guy.
Shiel was not past the ball on point of impact. Bracing for impact at point of contest isn’t running past the ball to bump.
View attachment 910542
It looked as though shoulder glanced off jaw and then head clashed.

Not as bad as the Cotchin hit on Shiel that he didn’t get a week for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back