Preview Rnd 8 - Carlton v Western Bulldogs Sunday 9th May 3:20PM @ Marvel

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because our defence has been sh*t all year, and now he's doubling down on the "attacking" brand of football.
How about focusing on two way running and supporting the back six?
"Do we want to get our defense better? Yes, it's probably our biggest growth area, but sometimes the game requires you to score and that could happen this weekend."

I'm fine with that.

Apart from a little bit of percentage, does it matter if we win 120-100 or 80-60?
The seasons a marathon, not a sprint. So over the course of a year, yeah it would matter.
The Blues need to get better at tempo footy, controlling the game and slowing down the play.
They can't do that if they can't defend.

I think this could be a game where it’s Harry vs The Bont. Harry needs to stand up while we shut down the bont.

The seasons a marathon, not a sprint. So over the course of a year, yeah it would matter.
The Blues need to get better at tempo footy, controlling the game and slowing down the play.
They can't do that if they can't defend.

Seemed to be complaining about a pretty simple comment and having a whine before the ball has even been bounced and game played

Appreciate the correction and clarification CJMB!

I get the point he’s making, but sounds like this will be a shootout.
Dogs are the highest scoring club, we're the 6th highest. We're also the 6th highest team for scores against while the Dogs are 17th. Dogs have well publicised issues with defending quality talls who get quick delivery. Dogs have Naughton, English & Bruce as targets, we've got Weitering and Jones down back plus I'm assuming Parks may be the one to try and take the remaining tall, perhaps with some support from Plow.

Our three wins we've scored between 115% & 170% of our opposition with an average score of 101 v 77. Our losses we've scored between 71% & 83% of our opposition with an average score of 78 v 102. Perhaps at the moment our 'better' (higher chance of winning) footy might be something resembling a shootout...

Because our defence has been sh*t all year, and now he's doubling down on the "attacking" brand of football.
How about focusing on two way running and supporting the back six?

So you took Teague's remark to essentially mean he doesn't give a s**t about defence and helping our back 6. Teague's not the problem on this one.

Similar to Port, but hoping for a better result...

It's a great time to play the Dogs.
They are very unsettled with the loss of English & Dunkley

We've got every chance of having an upset win.

We must have hard tags on both Macrae & Bont?
Was last week the first time they played without both English and Dunkley?

No, but he wasn't saying we were going all out attack without any defensive focus.

When asked what we'd do if we concede a big score Teague replied that we'd just have to kick a bigger score.

He said "I think this game could be really exciting. It might be a high scoring game. I think both teams will do their best defensively but it could end up being a more offensive game and what you've gotta do is just balance the two."

"Do we want to get our defense better? Yes, it's probably our biggest growth area, but sometimes the game requires you to score and that could happen this weekend."

Said some of our players adjust really well to open, fast, instinctive football but countered that it was our defense that got us the wins against Freo & Gold Coast.

Wants to reduce the points against us obviously, and that's a focus, but also need to score. No point having a dour game if you can't score the points to win. Also want a spread of goal kickers, not to rely on Harry each week. Referenced Owies & Parks defensive efforts.

Overall it was a pretty balanced take, but easily skewed for a headline if you want to pull quotes out. Looks like whoever wrote that for AAP grabbed some quotes but left out the lines in between which where what balanced what Teague was saying.

The quotes that were cherry picked weren't even that bad, there's just some serious overreacting going on.

Was last week the first time they played without both English and Dunkley?

With almost a full list :

Doggies - scraped a win against the pies, who we lost to - but we also now know they are crap.

Beat West Coast in Melbourne - which is also not that hard.

Beat North Melbourne.....,...... lets not be cruel.

Beat lions in Melbourne by 19 points - good win. Tick.

Beat the Suns - again....ahem.

Beat the GWS away - this is their best win.

English and Dunkley are injured :

BAM - lose to the first serious top 8 team they have played.

According to Bont - they rely too heavily on Dunkly and Libba.... neither will get a touch if Ed Curnow plays.

I hope we play TDK. Even on managed minutes, he would be a significant inclusion for us.

Plowman Jones Parks
Saad Weitering Docherty
Walsh Cuningham Williams
SPS TDK Fogarty
Betts McKay Silvagni

Pittonet Cripps Curnow
Stocker Newnes Owies Cottrell

That means...

In: Williams, SPS, TDK, Silvagni
Out: Dow (narrowly misses out, but he needs to play inside midfield and the current rotation includes Walsh, Cuningham, Williams, SPS, Cripps, Curnow), Gibbons (his efforts in the first half were pathetic and inexcusable, played a good 2nd half but basically everyone did), Casboult (battled valiantly, time to rest), McGovern

Cottrell needs to run closely with Hunter, where possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from a little bit of percentage, does it matter if we win 120-100 or 80-60?
Depends which version you think would hold up in finals footy ?.
Personally I'll take the 80-60 because it means our players are tuned in defensively which is going to have to be the case if/when we make finals to get anywhere near being successful .
Imo Teagues messaging seems to be a little strange as it was after rd 2 that he gave the players a serious bake for sub standard defensive play .
Now it seems to be ok so long as we are winning .
Most likely wrong but that's my take .

Expect Walsh to be reduced to a mere mortal this weekend as I guarantee you that Footscray won’t let him roam around. Therefore, others (ideally everyone) will have have to step up to cover the load otherwise I fear we might get smashed.

Need to get the ball into Saads hands at every opportunity and use his run and gun. I have no idea where we can hide the Cas and Gibbons is off his tucker since that head knock. Can’t see who to bring in for them at this stage so expect them to get another crack at it.

Praying we bring our A game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back