Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Bulldogs & Changes for R10 vs Brisbane

Best on ground

• 1. N. Vlastuin

Votes: 85 87.6%
  • * Other

Votes: 12 12.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I been doing some projections for the season - I'm very certain we wont be playing finals this year ... and probably not next year or the year after.
Thank you for the valuable insight.

It’s not about 2024 for Yze … it’s about 2025 onwards. Our future backline has Gibcus, Young, Miller, Brown, Tresize, Vlastuin …. our forward line has Kosj and Lefau (assuming Lynch is gone). I like the fact he’s not making short term decisions to help for the now.
This year was always going to be an assessment year for Yze, where he got a good look at the list and could then make necessary decisions on the list moving forward. As I said last night and during the week, I'm expecting a major clean out of the list come seasons end and it won't necessarily be young kids getting their marching orders.

Nasty.

Losing Maurice to that injury - hopefully it isn't severe and he will only miss the medium/short term - was really a bitter blow. He, along with Ralphsmith, Campbell, Brown, Ralphsmith and Lefau have been the only bright spots in a miserable season to this point. And even then, those listed above have only shown it in glimpses. I believe that Campbell has a future, but may need to go back to the 2s to find some touch and regain confidence. I wish Banks a speedy recovery, but I'm not sure what I'm meant to see him in as a footballer. I hope I'm wrong. Of our '5 inside 30' a couple of years ago, the only player from that collection that I'm confident has a long-term future is Brown. If we miss with 4/5 from that draft then we are in for serious pain. It was smart by the club to bank those picks and get those players in the door - in fact, it was vital. Realistically, if we can get 2/5 to be 200-hundred gamers then we've done well, but at the moment I'm not confident we will get more than 1 from that group.

We've got issues all over the ground. I'll start with the defence; and I'm going to provide nothing more than a vibes-based assesment. Young and Miller remind me of Richmond players from the early 2000s. Got a bit of heart, will have a go, will sometimes do something nice... but ultimately they're battlers we need to go past. They stink of 'old Richmond.' I can't explain it, but I can feel it. I feel transported back to watching us get belted week after week in the 2002-10 period at the MCG. You can visibly see the difference with Vlaustin, and the way he reads the game, makes good decisions and defends with not only intelligence but class - similarly with Broad. Young and Miller don't have this. They get turned around and face their opponent far too often, get outbodied far too often and get lost on the lead far too often. We have nothing else to play, so they'll back up. But they are nothing more than band-aids.

The midfield's main issue is that Yze has taken Bolton out of it. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Bolton had found his role. He was already 'the man' post-Dusty and Yze has changed it. Why? I understand our scoring is terrible. Shai catching a cold in the forward half doesn't help that. Bursting out of stoppage, kicking long to the goal square or on goal, getting around the scrimmages in the forward half and creating with his lateral movement, hands and vision are Shai's strengths. Why are we disarming him? Our scoring will improve when our best players have the footy. Let the man get around the footy. Secondly, consistency in personnel has obviously been an issue. By now, no one should be in any doubt that Taranto is a key player for us. With Prestia's fragility he is a nice player to have in there, but not one we can rely on week-to-week. His hammy will ping within the next month and we will be without him again. Thankfully, here we do have the underexposed McAuliffe to have a look at, as well as taking Sonsie off the flank and putting him in the CBAs and as a follower.

Dow cops a lot on this board for being 'light' - I ask, what player do you expect him to be? He's not Tom Green. When he was drafted he was touted as an inside/outside Shane Edwards type with great hands and lateral movement. We see that in bursts, but he's a player that needs experienced and toughened contested beasts (like Taranto) around him, to help. I won't say Dow is going to make it, or is an answer to our myriad problems, but he has shown glimpses - a nice step here, some candy there. He has some tricks. We just need to see it more often. Besides, he is going to play whether you like it or not. Our injuries, and seemingly the clubs commitment to giving him a serious run of games, will see to that.

Forward line I actually love our small brigade - I think all of Mansell, Campbell and Maurice have suggested that they can form a pretty strong and aggressive fleet of small forwards. But they're starving to death because our talls - and hopefuly once Balta finds some rhythm again this will improve - have been dire. Lefau isn't a genuine KPF. Ultimately, I see he and Cumberland as competing for the same spot. Ditto with Bauer. It leaves us with Balta, Lynch, Ryan as genuine tall options. Only Balta has a future. Ryan is 24 and has shown glimpses but I don't think is the answer - regardless, he played some decent footy last year but the coaching staff hasn't given him a look. Something in that. Wonder what it could be. Lynch is 31 and fragile. Similar to Prestia, enjoy the games he does play. We can't bank on him doing it consistently.

We need a couple of blue-chip talls at either end. It's unfortunate Gibcus has been so cruelled by injury. He may have been one of the answers to these two very, very difficult questions. Finding a quality tall is hard. Finding two is a nightmare. Of course we need mids, but I think they're easier to find. We need build-around pieces - our next Dusty, Jack, Rance etc. We may have some supporting elements that will find places in a successful team down the line - K-Mac, Castagna, Butler, Pickett etc. all have premierships after all - but we don't have those premium talents that are natural heirs to our premiership heroes. The work must be about finding those players.

I think the most disappointing aspect was the absence of any young player essentially saying..... I know we're crap but I will take this opportunity to show what I've got and put it all out there. It's not hard to shine in this cesspit of talent. The opportunity to showcase individual skill, intensity, and toughness was there last night and not one no-name RFC player decided to take it up. It's indicative of totally demoralised mentality.

The group needs to be recalibrated/re-wired. Yze's body language suggests he is out of his of depth and bereft of any ideas. I think we need to recruit a a senior coaching mentor who has the ability to connect with the players at their level. Then just play the kids and re-build through the draft.

Amongst all the gloom must say meatballs had a pretty good game with 23 touches after a 7 week spell.
Thing is, Prestia is always going to find the pill. It's his off the ball stuff that we need to judge him on and that was at a relatively good standard last night as well. Good return game from him.

I think the most disappointing aspect was the absence of any young player essentially saying..... I know we're crap but I will take this opportunity to show what I've got and put it all out there
Spot on.

He’s just one more passenger broad and Vlaustuin have to carry each week. He’s slow and can only play on s**t forwards. Watch us try to shuffle him around to hide him from Charlie Cameron next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's 8 games into his career....

Kane Cornes and Matthew Lloyd are 100% right. Who is Yze kidding when he said that he can’t fault the effort and intent? We’re pretty much the last supporter base you’d want to try that comment with after what we saw in 2017-2020. We’re not stupid and know when these players are not trying. The vision they showed in this video says enough about how much we actually tried.

As a new coach, you can’t say things like this. It’s a quick way to lose credibility because people will start thinking you’re delusional or too lenient on the players. We don’t have good on-field leadership, so no one is going to keep the players accountable if you don’t.

I didn’t watch his press conference last week, but apparently he said similar things about effort then too. Seriously needs to wake up and see things for what they are. These comments aren’t helping him at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were never going to win the game so Graham selection hardly a massive mistake. Prestia, Graham, Balta INs were some semblence of maturity, bigger bodies on the park. Funnily I think our clearances were improved.
Didn't help on the scoreboard.

I presume Kmac2 in for Graham next week. But no Hopper & Tarranto is too big a loss out of the middle. Yze is backing Dow ~ great and leaving Bolton out of the middle..not great.

RFC don't have senior players in the VFL until Round 9, when 17th on the ladder. Melbourne do swing players a bit I'm surprised Yze hasn't brought that attitude with him

I was blown out with Yze's starting 22. Injury crisis has forced him to play kids.

I agree with most points and understand re mature players in helps the youngsters but many questioned the graham selection more so being out for only a week due to soft tissue and not to our surprise he goes out again early.

Anyway, he'll now miss 3-4 weeks and hopefully McAuliffe comes in. Hopper expected to come in next week V Lions or latest the week after V Bombers (Dreamtime).

Yze “ I can’t fault there effort “ fmd
Ok, seriously, what would you want him to say to the media and the public? Should he lay the boots in and say that they were pathetic? Should he start singling out players by name?

As a manager of people you back your team in 100% against the outside world but internally you have the hard discussions. Especially when you have young and inexperienced members.

This is why I lapped up the flag wins , bought the merch , stayed out partying celebrating the victories gf day and day after at punt road. TBH I never ever thought the club would get this s**t again , thought maybe worse case scenario was bottom of the 8 . Really disappointing where we are now at

I think it’s pretty naive to think we’d not go back down the ladder when we spent the best part of a decade in the top-8, including 4-years in a row at the very pointy end.

When nearly all other teams were securing top end draft picks there’s not any logical reason that we wouldn’t slide back down to the bottom.

People quote Sydney, forgetting they never spent 4-years in a row at the very top end, and got gifted Heeney, Mills, Blakey and Gulden via heavily discounted academy selections.

Geelong are very much the exception to the rule … and they’ve largely stayed on top due to Danger and then Jezza coming at large discounts.

If any team, ANY team… spends a decade in finals and 4-years at the top, they will slide down the bottom - unless they are gifted father-sons, academy picks, free agents or elite trades…. we’ve had not a single bit of charity, and had rules implemented to screw us. It’s the cycle th AFL wants so we’ve got to suck it up and regenerate ourselves. We will do it and will be fine. Yze will be great.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

In the last game of 2016 we lost to Sydney by 113 points with a back line that contained Rance Astbury Grimes & Vlastuin, even the very best can look bad when the team is getting belted, so I'm not sure laying the boots into Miller and Young after last night is the right way to go.
So bloody touchy.

And because i’m such a FW, i’m now gonna make a point of getting to games now. I’m gonna deathride this season all the way to the spoon. Sticking fat now.
Before the game started I said to my mate we must be masochists for being here tonight :D

Seriously he came on when we were 12 goals down with 19 passengers and you pull that out of your arse. You’re better than that surely

Agree TI…..I don’t get some posters finger pointing certain players ( usually young players)

game was well and truly cooked when Cumbo came on….he had 40 mins of game time

In that time he laid 2 tackles….which was more than these players

Balta
Broad
Graham
Martin
Short

cumbo is not our problem

Back