Autopsy Roast/Toast R1 vs Carlton & Changes for R2 vs Port

BOG

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

In Dimma's first side he probably had 5 eventual premiership players in it... Dusty, Cotch (if he played), JR, Edwards and Rance (I think that's it). 4 first rounders and Edwards was a 2nd? Took 8 years but only 4 to make finals.

If you look at our side now and project forward 4 years to a potential finals appearance, who would our stars be? Taranto would be close to 30, Bolton perhaps, Gibcus should be very very good by then and who else? Arguably Baker, D.Rioli and Balta will be in their prime but we don't have 4 1st round jets as yet. We could fast track our development by cashing in on offers for Bolton/Baker/Lynch but we need some bonafide stars to come in if we wish to build for flag number 14...

Yep. We have to basically bottom out to get access to that talent, or just get very lucky.

despite all the umpire cheating and 3 men out on thursday night, this little bastard couldve still won us the game when he had a shot at the end

I love bakes but he needs to think things through when the game is heating up. Last qtr alone made 3 crucial errors.
Mark on the boundary line he tries a pass to Bolton who had 3 on him. Wrong decision with Lynch calling for it in the goal quare.
Holding the ball near our forward line bakes takes the advantage and kicks it straight to the blues defender. Slow the ball down as only lynch was playing key tall and he was out of position and Balta was playing back.
Then Dekoning marks and bakes gives away 50 which ended up being 60.

I tend to agree they (CFC) still don't have that 20mile stare that the real contenders have. But i'm not sure there are any teams with that, and i thought the same thing last season. I think 2017 was a bit like that too tbh. Ultimately, someone has to win it & if you end up in the top 4, which i think they are a good chance to do, you are going to be well placed to win the luck lottery

2017 it was Richmond and Adelaide then daylight even though Gelong and GWS were thereabouts.

Im not convinced about carlscum also. They barely got over us well if we didn't have 3 down we win 100% and we are still finding our way under Ooze. Lets face it they rely heavily on their 2 key main forwards and Cripps.
They dont have much coming through in terms of youth from their reserves.

GWS and Swans yes its early days I know but they look way ahead than most.

Last edited:

2017 it was Richmond and Adelaide then daylight

Im not convinced about carlscum also. They barely got over us well if we didn't have 3 down we win 100% and we are still finding our way under Ooze. Lets face it they rely heavily on their 2 key main forwards and Cripps.
They dont have much coming through in terms of youth from their reserves.

GWS and Swans yes its early days I know but they look way ahead than most.

Yeah exactly - 2 teams that didn't have the 20mile stare. We missed the finals entirely in 2016 and the Crows had came 10th,7th & 5th the years preceding 2017 & only been able to win finals in "week 1" & got well beaten in the Semi's both times.
They were hardly a experienced, mentally strong group - otherwise the coaches wouldn't have taken them on that stupid boot camp.

And i also don't think that is entirely true re the "daylight". The Cats looked pretty solid all year - Richmond only really got its groove going over the last 6 weeks of the season, after we got pants by the Saints. And in that 6 weeks, we still lost a tight battle with the Cats who, at the time, was considered our "big test".

Come finals though we had a lot of momentum going in. It felt a bit more like 2016 Dogs than 2023 Pies.

Yeah exactly - 2 teams that didn't have the 20mile stare. We missed the finals entirely in 2016 and the Crows had came 10th,7th & 5th the years preceding 2017 & only been able to win finals in "week 1" & got well beaten in the Semi's both times.
They were hardly a experienced, mentally strong group - otherwise the coaches wouldn't have taken them on that stupid boot camp.

And i also don't think that is entirely true re the "daylight". The Cats looked pretty solid all year - Richmond only really got its groove going over the last 6 weeks of the season, after we got pants by the Saints. And in that 6 weeks, we still lost a tight battle with the Cats who, at the time, was considered our "big test".

Come finals though we had a lot of momentum going in. It felt a bit more like 2016 Dogs than 2023 Pies.

We won our first 5 and then dropped a few close games. The saints game woke us up but that was at marvel we returned the favour and pantsed them in the last round. The cats game we lost was at GMHBA again at the G it would be a different story in the QF.

I think what made us a really dangerous side was our game plan and system, it was fast, frenetic and the pressure we put on was insane. I thought we could beat anyone and that's the way it panned out. I never felt like that before prior to 2017.

We won our first 5 and then dropped a few close games. The saints game woke us up but that was at marvel we returned the favour and pantsed them in the last round. The cats game we lost was at GMHBA again at the G it would be a different story in the QF.

I think what made us a really dangerous side was our game plan and system, it was fast, frenetic and the pressure we put on was insane. I thought we could beat anyone and that's the way it panned out. I never felt like that before prior to 2017.

I don't disagree entirely, but it really wasn't until we proved ourselves in the Geel final that people truly believed

This article in August 2017 shows us ranked 4th with 3 games left

According to the bookies, we were the slight underdog against the Cats
1710767784863.png

This article as well, written AFTER our Cats win, talks about how our odds jumped. In July we were still $26 to win the flag

Can't find any other clear numbers pre the finals (ie round 23), but until we actually proved something against the Cats, we were not clear of any pack - that only happened once we were in the position to only require 1 more win to make the GF, to be played at our own home ground.

I don't disagree entirely, but it really wasn't until we proved ourselves in the Geel final that people truly believed

This article in August 2017 shows us ranked 4th with 3 games left

According to the bookies, we were the slight underdog against the Cats
View attachment 1932355

This article as well, written AFTER our Cats win, talks about how our odds jumped. In July we were still $26 to win the flag

Can't find any other clear numbers pre the finals (ie round 23), but until we actually proved something against the Cats, we were not clear of any pack - that only happened once we were in the position to only require 1 more win to make the GF, to be played at our own home ground.

Im just going by how we played throughout the year, finished half a game from top.
Media, bookies and oppo supporters were i guess wary of us as we hadn't won anything for decades but if you delved closer between the cracks, the tiges and crows looked to be ahead of the pack.

Bookies for the QF would've been based on cats beating us the previous 13 times. Was quietly confident we'd beat them with our pace and pressure which we did quite comfortably.

The Crows may not have had the 20 mile star, but they did have the power stance.

I forgot about prestia. Either mcauliff or Cumberland in. Dusty can play more midfield
In miller brown clarke mcauliff
Out gibcus young pickett prestia
Excited about port game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

midfield gonna determine the game

if we let them waltz out and deliver our depleted bl gonna crack eventually

Don’t you mean the umpires?

* I wish people would but they won’t unfortunately , someone needs to make a website call it afl corruption and show blatant non frees given etc etc , make the s**t go viral
Forget the sides playing, how can 2 sides play a full game with a difference after the 100 minutes being less then a kick have such a glaring difference in free kicks. I would assume that overall play was fairly evenly contested, both sides being first or second to ball etc etc but the free kick differential is app 30%, it astounds me. Re the 50m penalty that was really 60 or 70, who knows. We can tell, via computer, how long they hit a golf ball, whether that ball was in Mr McEnroe, we use technology to decide whether it is a score, remember Brisbane. Why do we not have a light that shines on oval to mark the actual distance of the given penalty, add to the spectacle in the night games, heck we can even have some music to accompany the event.

We played our best footy last Thursday when Pickett went into the ruck. Why doesn't he ever get played as a legit midfielder? :think:

Never really understood that either. When he had the GF debut, all his most memorable moments were either in the middle of the ground or in the forward half. After that he basically has lived everywhere but - wing, and generally dropping more to back flank

Back