Robert Walls back to Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

What qualifications does he have? The blues just appointed Brad Lloyd to the Head of Football role last month, where does that leave him.

Sounds like some cashed-up disgruntled supporters but as funny as it is I'd say it has as much chance of succeeding as the Focus on Football mob at Riverland a couple of years back.
Focus on Footy, I'd forgotten about that comedy act!

Walls is a cringeworthy watch when he appears on the telly, knows almost nothing and draws way off beam conclusions about what he's seen or on most occasions what he hasn't seen. Walls back to Carlton would just confirm what a lost cause they are.

That was decades ago. The game is completely different now, not to mention professional. Might as well get Tony Jewell back to run the footy department at Richmond.
Neil Balme, Gubby Allan, Geoff Walsh, Trevor Bisbett etc are all of a similar vintage and seem to do ok. They have plenty of contemporary, yet inexperienced staff in key roles at the club so from that perspective he would be ideal.

Walls seems to be one of those old boys (see Mark Mcclure) who suffers the after affects of 1970's style machismo.
While that probably helped him win flags whilst playing and for a short while, coaching, it hinders your ability to learn from mistakes.
So you don't change.
So now he spouts 'stop hand-balling and just kick it long' or 'the games gone soft' style drivel.
If he role was tales of the glory days and intimidation I could see it working.

Seems like a real nuffy push if true. Carlton, despite their nature have committed to a long and painstaking rebuild. Bolton must be held accountable within that. However, to drag in an old head just because he had a glorious history at the club 30+ years ago would be symptomatic of the boys club/messiah complex that has pretty much ****ed their club since 2001.

His stats are notably increased this season but it's the impact he has had upon games this season that is most significant.

If nothing else he has had 12 games with 100+ s/coach points compared with only two in 2017 and seven 115+ compared with none the previous year.
Supercoach ey?

Neil Balme, Gubby Allan, Geoff Walsh, Trevor Bisbett etc are all of a similar vintage and seem to do ok. They have plenty of contemporary, yet inexperienced staff in key roles at the club so from that perspective he would be ideal.
Nisbett is our CEO. It's not his job to micro manage everyone and i don't belive he gets involved in football department matters.

More importantly, all those names have been involved at clubs for a long time. They know how clubs have evolved. Walls' experience is not contemporary, which may make his influence counter productive.

Ultimately, I think if you went through a genuine recruitment process, you'd easily find better candidates.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Robert Walls couldn't get a lapdance in a strip club if he had a fist full of hundred dollar bills, why on earth would Carlton want this joker?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's the difference? They've all been continuously involved in footy, Walls hasn't been in a role since the 90's. Come on mate, there's a stark difference between them.

This muppet omfg ....talk about dinosaur...he predicted west coast to win the spoon......sound footy knowledge

Hey they can get mark maclure as the fitness coach

And get David Rhys Jones as the player behaviour manager and bring back John Elliot as president

They can get Dom ham to be the sponsor with ...pigs arse across the jumper

Kernahan as the goal kicking coach teaching helicopters .....lol

Relocate to princess park also ....

Please I can’t stop taking the mick at this possible idea ....

Apart from the 260 AFL games he played in, including 3 premierships, the 350 games he coached also including a flag, being in the AFL Hall of Fame, multiple best & fairests and 50 years in the industry, I'm not sure.

I'm not saying it's a good move, just wouldn't be so quick to can it until we know a) if there's any truth to it and b) what it involves.
Those winning stats = westcoast’s 32 year history.

What's the difference? They've all been continuously involved in footy, Walls hasn't been in a role since the 90's. Come on mate, there's a stark difference between them.
It just said for a 'role' ... not head of Footy so unless you can tell me what that would entail, I wouldn't be that quick to dismiss it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back