Robert Walls back to Carlton?

Remove this Banner Ad

People love to stick it into Wallsy but he calls it as he sees it and usually sees it pretty good. So what if he tipped the Eagles for the spoon. He also tipped six finalists.

I too thought the impact of losing Mitchell & Priddis would be greater. I had never heard of Ryan & Willie Rioli. I never knew Jack Redden would grow a set or the impact Mitchell would have in the coaches box etc. Looks like most the Eagles fans did though of course ...

What qualifications does he have? The blues just appointed Brad Lloyd to the Head of Football role last month, where does that leave him.

Sounds like some cashed-up disgruntled supporters but as funny as it is I'd say it has as much chance of succeeding as the Focus on Football mob at Riverland a couple of years back.

You need to get in strong people in key roles, the best people for the job.

Going back to club legends who have had no professional involvement at a club since the 90s is fraught with danger. I seriously hope this is BS, I mean it would be funny but not "haha" funny.

Should mention it’s a bit early to bag Carlton for it, Browne made clear it was powerbrokers behind it and LoGiudice and/or Bolton might not approve it.

Who are these "influential powerbrokers"? If they're not board members (which it sounds like they're not) I'd be hoping the board tells them to get stuffed if I were a Carlton supporter. If they were board members I'd be very worried and would be agitating for a complete overhaul of the administration beginning with Loguidice.

If it’s “Carlton influential powerbrokers” you can be nearly guaranteed Bruce Mathieson is involved. I think his son or nephew is on the Board, so there will be some Board support for it.

If it’s “Carlton influential powerbrokers” you can be nearly guaranteed Bruce Mathieson is involved. I think his son or nephew is on the Board, so there will be some Board support for it.

Yep, first name that comes to mind every time you hear that phrase. Even without the family connection you would bet it was him behind it.

What qualifications does he have? The blues just appointed Brad Lloyd to the Head of Football role last month, where does that leave him.

Sounds like some cashed-up disgruntled supporters but as funny as it is I'd say it has as much chance of succeeding as the Focus on Football mob at Riverland a couple of years back.
Apart from the 260 AFL games he played in, including 3 premierships, the 350 games he coached also including a flag, being in the AFL Hall of Fame, multiple best & fairests and 50 years in the industry, I'm not sure.

I'm not saying it's a good move, just wouldn't be so quick to can it until we know a) if there's any truth to it and b) what it involves.

I always associate the word powerbroker with Carlton

It’s very Carlton. The club is basically surrounded at all times by groups of rich old white men who take turns at toppling each other’s regimes.

One would assume this particular faction is not at the cutting edge of modern day football if Robert Walls overseeing the entire football department is their opening gambit.

Apart from the 260 AFL games he played in, including 3 premierships, the 350 games he coached also including a flag, being in the AFL Hall of Fame, multiple best & fairests and 50 years in the industry, I'm not sure.

I'm not saying it's a good move, just wouldn't be so quick to can it until we know a) if there's any truth to it and b) what it involves.

That was decades ago. The game is completely different now, not to mention professional. Might as well get Tony Jewell back to run the footy department at Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People love to stick it into Wallsy but he calls it as he sees it and usually sees it pretty good. So what if he tipped the Eagles for the spoon. He also tipped six finalists.

I too thought the impact of losing Mitchell & Priddis would be greater. I had never heard of Ryan & Willie Rioli. I never knew Jack Redden would grow a set or the impact Mitchell would have in the coaches box etc. Looks like most the Eagles fans did though of course ...
Literally no, Redden was great last season as well so im not sure why your saying he only had impact this season either.

Literally no, Redden was great last season as well so im not sure why your saying he only had impact this season either.
His stats are notably increased this season but it's the impact he has had upon games this season that is most significant.

If nothing else he has had 12 games with 100+ s/coach points compared with only two in 2017 and seven 115+ compared with none the previous year.

His stats are notably increased this season but it's the impact he has had upon games this season that is most significant.

If nothing else he has had 12 games with 100+ s/coach points compared with only two in 2017 and seven 115+ compared with none the previous year.
But isn't that the sort of s**t that experts identify?

Isn't that kind of the point of being an expert?

Personally I think it would be a great move to have Walls in this role - Walls’ has hard views. I can see if Bolton is going to pick 2 list cloggers for the next game Walls would have the guts to question this- there are many such examples.

Don’t mind the idea of a senior observer, but Walls is the wrong guy from the wrong era. A Paul Roos type, not too long out of the game, would be better. And if we were gonna go with old fellas, I’d rather David Parkin; always thought he had a keen mind for football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back