Roast Robert Warnock

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't usually start threads on players but Robbie is really making me cringe. His ruck work is average at the moment, he can't win a ground ball and run fast (for obvious reasons), his ball handling skills are below par and he can't take a mark. The very worst thing is that every time we are forced to kick it down the wings to a tall, he doesn't force a contest. That's the whole point of kicking to a tall - to take the mark or bring the ball to ground!

We don't have much of a choice other than to play him at the moment but what can we possibly do to get him working harder? A couple of months ago, Hampson was struggling to take grabs and win a hard ball but in his few games back before injury, he was marvelous above head and around the ground. We need to do the same for Warnock ASAP because his efforts in the middle and in the air are killing us at the moment.

I can't even read what you've written and I think it's reactive garbage.

Thanks positive police for your informative response to an absolute issue.

Most teams are going for one ruckman/ one big body for the ruck, as two ruckman can be an issue around the ground. Hampson's phenomenal athletic ability and rapidly growing football nous allowed us to play him, however i query how much Robbie offers us.

We are smashing it in the clearances with quality midfielders, the fact that we aren't winning really is against the flow of football these days

I can't even read what you've written and I think it's reactive garbage.
If I were to create a thread on players' performance week-by-week after losses, I'd clog up the boards. Warnock's ruck work and efforts around the ground have been very weak for a while. I'd just like to find a solution. :thumbsu:

If I were to create a thread on players' performance week-by-week after losses, I'd clog up the boards. Warnock's ruck work and efforts around the ground have been very weak for a while. I'd just like to find a solution. :thumbsu:

Need to see how he goes next week...

He likes playing at the MCG so it might be interesting...

I don't usually start threads on players but Robbie is really making me cringe. His ruck work is average at the moment, he can't win a ground ball and run fast (for obvious reasons), his ball handling skills are below par and he can't take a mark. The very worst thing is that every time we are forced to kick it down the wings to a tall, he doesn't force a contest. That's the whole point of kicking to a tall - to take the mark or bring the ball to ground!

We don't have much of a choice other than to play him at the moment but what can we possibly do to get him working harder? A couple of months ago, Hampson was struggling to take grabs and win a hard ball but in his few games back before injury, he was marvelous above head and around the ground. We need to do the same for Warnock ASAP because his efforts in the middle and in the air are killing us at the moment.

agreed! Last week he dominated because Richmond had no ruckman!

Really? Thought he competed pretty well today at ground level today and did so last week as well.

Hudson got on top in the third quarters but we smashed them in the clearances.

I agree, didn't think he was that bad either.

I see what the OP is saying but he dominated last week and was just adequate today, so the timing isn't great for a negative thread.

He needs to lift and actually take the no. 1 ruck role, rather than be handed it. It's time to grow up Robbie, you're a man now, act like it!

When you're surrounded by goons it's gonna make you look like a goon too.

I find it a waste of time. to single out individual efforts when we were so poor as a collective. Houlihan is the only one I was extremely disappointed with. And I guess Walker/Betts/Garlett for their disappearing acts.

Played like Jason Laycock: tallest bloke on the field but refused to impose himself.

Robbie needs to take a leaf out of Hudson's book. Big men are meant to be ***** to the little blokes.

From my view of the game I thought Warnock competed well at ground level, following up his ruck taps and generally contesting.

However, he seemed to be our main target on the wings for a large portion of the match, but time and time again he would not compete for the mark and the bulldogs were taking easy marks and sending the ball straight back in.

For such a big bloke, at absolute minimum in a lot of these contests he should be getting a fist to the ball and bringing it down.

Knockers was ok, i saw him dive on the ball plenty of times, so his attitude is there. His ruck work was ok. Hwever the whole team struggled so it is hard to single people out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In all fairness, Kreuzer wasnt much better. At them moment bothe have no impact in marking contest. Kreuzer tries to mark everything 1 handed. gets pushed out 2 easy.4 marks from them yesterday. Very Average.

He was poor last night, but great the week before. He's still young and needs time to develop. He certainly needs to grab more marks and make more of a contest whenever possible.

But as has been pointed out, if we made threads each week about players who have an off game this board would be rubbish.

Warnock needs to put on a lot of weight over the off season. He got pushed around like a little girl by Hudson and is going to struggle to compete against big bodied ruckmen as long as he is built like a twig.

On a side note, I thought Hudson was almost the doggies' BOG yesterday.

Warnock was a lot better than a lot of our other players.

Are you going to start a roast thread for
Bower
Houlihan
Betts
Garlett
Robinson
Ellard
Joseph
Walker
Waite
? :thumbsdown:

Warnock was a lot better than a lot of our other players.

Are you going to start a roast thread for
Bower
Houlihan
Betts
Garlett
Robinson
Ellard
Joseph
Walker
Waite
? :thumbsdown:

Not many players could hold their heads up high after yesterdays performance. But putting Waite on that list is floggy.

Thought he started well last night but by the end of the game he had been annihilated by Hudson.

Hudson isn't a great footballer by any stretch of the imagination but he embarrassed both Warnock and Kreuzer. Could well find himself in the votes IMO.

Kreuz I'm not worried about in the slightest because he's a gem, but Warnock really needs to show some improvement. Last week he was great but he was up against absolute s**t for opposition. This week against a more aggressive ruckman he basically folded.

I've seen more than enough to suggest that he'll be a very good ruckman in due course, but he needs some mongrel in him. He has the body and the ability to be a top ruckman in this league but unless he is prepared to throw his body around and hurt a few people, the skill won't matter much.

Needs to develop some mongrel in his game. Go out there and assert yourself physically on a game, Robbie!

lacks mental toughness,will always struggle against seasoned ruckman another big test this week against Jolly.Never be physical player l'ts not his nature.All we ask is to give a honest contest at centre bounces and around the ground.

...and he can't take a mark.

This is the biggest worry. Not only is he not taking marks, but he's bordering on giving away frees while failing.

He seems to jump about a second too early and just sprawl all over the man in front of him. The umpire had the whistle to his lips a few times on Sunday after his marking attempts, but didn't blow it. Could have easily been a number of frees against.

What's the go with Carlos? Is he injured? (Sorry if I should know this or looked at an injury thread but I couldn't find it.)

Surely he would be a good backup for Kruezer in the ruck? He was playing some good Footy earlier in the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back