Star Wars Rogue Squadron (2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon plenty of in-demand directors would be juggling a few projects, particularly when one of them is studio IP or a sequel, where the success of a previous movie brought the project forward. Movies are regularly at different stages of writing, pre-production and directing. Jenkins would have signed on to Cleopatra and Star Wars, with the idea WW3 would go ahead at some point, but not necessarily knowing exactly when.

Directors like Nolan and maybe Rian Johnson, who tend to script and direct one films at a time, would probably be the exception rather than the rule.

The Disney investor day is due tomorrow, would think there will be some confirmation of upcoming release dates (as well as new content) for Star Wars/Marvel etc.

After watching WW84 and only being able to sit through the first 20 mins I have serious concerns about this project
She has three films to her credit, one critically acclaimed, one the well received WW and one dud in WW1984. She's also done plenty of good TV. I wouldn't be letting one bad film put me off. If it helps, she's not writing Rogue Squadron.

She has three films to her credit, one critically acclaimed, one the well received WW and one dud in WW1984. She's also done plenty of good TV. I wouldn't be letting one bad film put me off. If it helps, she's not writing Rogue Squadron.
Yeah but WW84 is the latest movie you can judge her on..and it’s a worry

time will tell

I can understand the concern.

For me though she has enough runs on the board overall to somewhat negate WW84 (which I was so disappointed with, being such an avid DC fan and big admirer of the first WW film).

How reliable is the source? Only comment I saw was quick to fall on the familiar talking point that Kathleen Kennedy is somehow to blame for it all. She's become a lightning rod for a particularly annoying section of the fanbase. There may be some truth to the rumours for all I know, obviously there are troubles with the movie slate, but Lucasfilm don't give much away and she has a strong reputation (was watching a Movies that Made US and she got a big shout out for pulling things together on Jurassic Park at one point).

That said, both Star Wars and Marvel operate to familiar templates, working within that system will have its limitations.

How reliable is the source? Only comment I saw was quick to fall on the familiar talking point that Kathleen Kennedy is somehow to blame for it all. She's become a lightning rod for a particularly annoying section of the fanbase. There may be some truth to the rumours for all I know, obviously there are troubles with the movie slate, but Lucasfilm don't give much away and she has a strong reputation (was watching a Movies that Made US and she got a big shout out for pulling things together on Jurassic Park at one point).

That said, both Star Wars and Marvel operate to familiar templates, working within that system will have its limitations.

Exactly my first reaction too - as am always skeptical of the stuff you read from some sites regarding KK. For the reasons you already stated. However in terms of the source, supposedly the journalist who wrote that story was the former editor of THR, so would think he would still have some decent and reputable information he's drawing off. Remains to be seen of course.

I know Marvel has also lost a few directors here and there (including Jenkins funnily enough), but Star Wars’ issues with its directors are becoming an embarrassment. The regular turnover of announced then abandoned projects and people quitting makes it look like a headless chook.

They seriously need a plan and someone with a consistent vision. They’re tanking a franchise that cost them $4B.

I know Marvel has also lost a few directors here and there (including Jenkins funnily enough), but Star Wars’ issues with its directors are becoming an embarrassment. The regular turnover of announced then abandoned projects and people quitting makes it look like a headless chook.

They seriously need a plan and someone with a consistent vision. They’re tanking a franchise that cost them $4B.
I mean, to be fair, they’ve made that $4b and then some in less than a decade.

But yes, they need to get that template right and they need to decide if they want directors that will make films to certain requirements or if they want directors that can put an individual stamp on things. Personally, I think the original plan was right, a mix of big trilogies and smaller individual films. Like the EU on screen. I think they got the order of films wrong and I think they got easily spooked by Solo’s failure but a Star Wars movie each year or maybe every second was achievable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But yes, they need to get that template right and they need to decide if they want directors that will make films to certain requirements or if they want directors that can put an individual stamp on things. Personally, I think the original plan was right, a mix of big trilogies and smaller individual films. Like the EU on screen. I think they got the order of films wrong and I think they got easily spooked by Solo’s failure but a Star Wars movie each year or maybe every second was achievable.

I don't know if that's quite true. How much profit have they made from the movies all up? There'd be a lot of money sunk into the park and other ventures for instance that I'm not sure would have made them money, particularly over the pandemic. Things like the Mandalorian whilst successful may not have made a huge amount of money - although probably difficult to account for how much D+ subscriptions cover the cost of Mandalorian.

In revenue, sure. As for their profit, only Disney would know but I’m sure they’ll find their way ahead if they haven’t already.

They spent roughly the same that they did to buy Marvel though and there’s no doubt which is providing more bang for buck.

I don't know if that's quite true. How much profit have they made from the movies all up? There'd be a lot of money sunk into the park and other ventures for instance that I'm not sure would have made them money, particularly over the pandemic. Things like the Mandalorian whilst successful may not have made a huge amount of money - although probably difficult to account for how much D+ subscriptions cover the cost of Mandalorian.
Impossible to know, I was just throwing up the raw figure, which is about $6b from the films alone on a $4b purchase. Obviously each of the movies cost a couple of hundred million each to make; the Mandalorian allegedly costs about $15 million per episode but would have driven a significant number of subscriptions. I very much doubt they are regretting the decision, it will pay off handsomely in the long run, but they do need to get the movie slate going.

In revenue, sure. As for their profit, only Disney would know but I’m sure they’ll find their way ahead if they haven’t already.

They spent roughly the same that they did to buy Marvel though and there’s no doubt which is providing more bang for buck.
Marvel is looking like a bargain at the moment, but Pixar cost Disney over $7b, Fox cost them $70b; the $4b for Star Wars will be a good investment. Hell, they could shelve it for a decade, come back and make a mint in future.

Impossible to know, I was just throwing up the raw figure, which is about $6b from the films alone on a $4b purchase. Obviously each of the movies cost a couple of hundred million each to make; the Mandalorian allegedly costs about $15 million per episode but would have driven a significant number of subscriptions. I very much doubt they are regretting the decision, it will pay off handsomely in the long run, but they do need to get the movie slate going.

Marvel is looking like a bargain at the moment, but Pixar cost Disney over $7b, Fox cost them $70b; the $4b for Star Wars will be a good investment. Hell, they could shelve it for a decade, come back and make a mint in future.

Yeah but you know the 6bn was the revenue not the profit.. right? Like movies aren't made for free haha. They probably each cost 3-400m to make at least.

Yeah but you know the 6bn was the revenue not the profit.. right? Like movies aren't made for free haha. They probably each cost 3-400m to make at least.
Um, yes? It's why I mentioned it in the post. Since I'm not Disney's accountant, I don't know the exact profits or streaming details that are kept close to their chest, but $6b revenue (from films alone) on a $4b purchase in under a decade suggests they'll be fine. People worrying about the financial viability of Star Wars would be well off the mark.

Um, yes? It's why I mentioned it in the post. Since I'm not Disney's accountant, I don't know the exact profits or streaming details that are kept close to their chest, but $6b revenue (from films alone) on a $4b purchase in under a decade suggests they'll be fine. People worrying about the financial viability of Star Wars would be well off the mark.

Sure but you citing the 6bn is entirely irrelevant as you say, it's guesswork, and gives no indication of how much profit they've made.

They also lost money on Solo, would be losing money on the parks, are surely investing a lot into a number of shows without any tangible return (I assume they do some sort of revenue calculation based on percentage of views each show gets on Disney+ but that really wouldn't make them profitable, they'd be subsidised by returns on the movies and park etc.). I really don't think SW is profitable at this point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back