Rookie of the Year Criterion

What is your preferred ROTY eligibility rule?

• U/23, 15 games

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • U/21, 15 games

• U/23, 20 games

• 15 games, no age limit

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
There has been a bit of debate on the "2008 Adelaide Board Big Footy Progressive Votes" thread regarding the rules regarding eligibility for the ROTY award.

I've decided to put it to a poll. The poll closes on the 23rd of March (4 days from now). The leading vote getter at that time will be the rule we will use for determining ROTY eligibility.

The options are:
U/23 as at 1/1/2008, 15 or less AFL games
Gives us a reasonably broad range of rookies, but makes Griffin & Douglas ineligible while leaving Maric eligible.

U/21 as at 1/1/2008, 15 or less AFL games
Eliminates Moran, Maric & Vince.

15 or less games, no age limit
Makes Campbell & Gill eligible, Douglas & Griffin remain ineligible.

U/23 as at 1/1/2008, 20 games
Makes Griffin & Douglas eligible.

So... cast your vote.

I voted the under 21/less that 15 games option. Personally I think that a rookie really has to have an impact within this particular time frame in order to keep the rising star element to it. I just don't see how if Vince had a Brownlow worthy season last year that it could compare to the explosiveness of a teenager like Joel Selwood coming onto the scene. To me, that's what any rookie award should be about.

Where any rookie award has always been unfair is to the big guys. They always take longer to develop and get a consistent spot in the team but that's life I guess.

i voted the U21yo and 15 games option which to me seems to be the most appropriate if we are judging a "rookie of the year"

of course, our club can always have its own special award where
young equates to games played so our criteria would be something like U29yo/20 games - too bad they then are forced to retire at 30yo unless they're great :D

Back