Coach Roos rue Roos ruse

Remove this Banner Ad

I think having the right people on those four or five key roles at the top of the organisation is huge - O'Neil, Gale. Hardwicke, Balme. Everything else is built around them. Of course, Richmond had huge untapped potential with their latent supporter base, but they have been exceptionally well run for a decade now.

Commercially of course those people mattered but if we're narrowing "success" to premierships (and rightly so) - then ultimately 2017 was about Dustin Martin playing an exceptional season supported by a gameplan that maximised the list's strengths.

Of course a strong administration helped and supported it but I don't think it was essential to this outcome. The administration would've had to be exceptionally poor to derail it.

There's a huge element of synchronicity and luck to it. In 2009 if Melbourne had called Dustin Martin's name then Richmond were stuck with Jack Trengove none of this probably would've happened no matter how well Peggy O'Neil and Brendan Gale's mission statement read.

For that matter in 2004 if Richmond call Roughie and Buddy then Hawthorn would've had a hell of a different path from thereon.

Caracella's game plan and the unflinching football department consolidation behind that idea to make it happen

They sought out a novel approach and it paid off. They did not FOLLOW other's agendas. No successful side ever does.

I knock Richmond for plenty of things, but being original is certainly not one of them.

Totally agree but that's on-field. Caracella's plan wasn't evidence of a strong or weak wider administration.

Gale, Balme, Caracella & Hardwick, in that order.

Caracella's game plan and the unflinching football department consolidation behind that idea to make it happen

They sought out a novel approach and it paid off. They did not FOLLOW other's agendas. No successful side ever does.

I knock Richmond for plenty of things, but being original is certainly not one of them.

Reasonable point and reinforces my view that it is about having the right people in the most senior/influential roles. I interpret a lot of what you are talking about, aligning around a single vision and then absolute focus on executing it, as culture for want of a better description.

Are you happy with the team we have in the key roles?

Commercially of course those people mattered but if we're narrowing "success" to premierships (and rightly so) - then ultimately 2017 was about Dustin Martin playing an exceptional season supported by a gameplan that maximised the list's strengths.

Of course a strong administration helped and supported it but I don't think it was essential to this outcome. The administration would've had to be exceptionally poor to derail it.

There's a huge element of synchronicity and luck to it. In 2009 if Melbourne had called Dustin Martin's name then Richmond were stuck with Jack Trengove none of this probably would've happened no matter how well Peggy O'Neil and Brendan Gale's mission statement read.

For that matter in 2004 if Richmond call Roughie and Buddy then Hawthorn would've had a hell of a different path from thereon.
Would’ve they?
sliding doors moment,
If Clarkson recruited Richard Tambling, we might be talking about the 4 time premiership player..
If Melbourne recruited Dusty at the time, we might be looking at a sad tail instead of discussions of one of the greatest of all time.

Are you happy with the team we have in the key roles?

The football department?

I can't honestly answer that yet, but I am very pleased with Rawlings & Luff, the type of players they prioritize and the way they are shaping the list.

Brady is the new Ron Joseph, and thank **** he showed up in time, because at least I now have some hope for the future.

The real road block will be in keeping others out of his way. Just give him what he wants and stay out of his way.

Every premier I can think of for the last twenty years has the administration of the club in great shape. No one has won a flag in spite of the organisation being a basket case. It is what allows you to make those right decisions from a football perspective. Richmond's success is about far more than getting lucky with one draft pick. Even then if they had a weak organisation he would probably be a North player now.

If Melbourne had picked Dusty do you really think they would be a triple premiership dynasty by now? No chance in my opinion.

Good organisations make good decisions and align behind a single vision and strategy as Snake alluded to earlier.

The football department?

I can't honestly answer that yet, but I am very pleased with Rawlings & Luff, the type of players they prioritize and the way they are shaping the list.

Brady is the new Ron Joseph, and thank **** he showed up in time, because at least I now have some hope for the future.

The real road block will be in keeping others out of his way. Just give him what he wants and stay out of his way.
Brady and Luff are fantastic you can already see it in their selections. We’re finally getting a balanced list imo. No more default to selecting 188cm big bodied mid who needs to work on endurance and wondering why we can’t run out a game or season.

T.Powell is going to be a gem for us in that regard.

Last edited:
Brady and Luff are fantastic you can already see it in their selections. We’re finally getting a balanced list imo. No more default to selecting 188cm big bodied mid who needs to work on endurance and wondering why we can’t run out a game or season.

T.Powell is going to be a gem for us in that regard.

Too early to tell of course but I have a good feeling about Noble and Blakey as a coaching team. If they get Roos' role right he could be a great value add as well.

If all that turns out to be true then add in Buckley and Amarfio and I think we have the makings of great and hopefully stable leadership of the club. The next three years will tell the tale.

Too early to tell of course but I have a good feeling about Noble and Blakey as a coaching team. If they get Roos' role right he could be a great value add as well.

If all that turns out to be true then add in Buckley and Amarfio and I think we have the makings of great and hopefully stable leadership of the club. The next three years will tell the tale.
Certainly is early,
I really liked the Shaw appointment, he made a couple of premiership contenders look second rate, I haven’t seen a north team make opposition players shortstep like that since the 90’s.

but what’s become apparent is how little support we were giving the coaching department.. hopefully that whole episode is a massive wake up call for the club and we don’t just simply default to ‘she’ll be right’ soon.

Certainly is early,
I really liked the Shaw appointment, he made a couple of premiership contenders look second rate, I haven’t seen a north team make opposition players shortstep like that since the 90’s.

but what’s become apparent is how little support we were giving the coaching department.. hopefully that whole episode is a massive wake up call for the club and we don’t just simply default to ‘she’ll be right’ soon.

The board wears the blame for their amateurish approach to the way they built the footy dept around Rhyce, but they're not responsible for what happened on the fly with Rhyce & the pandemic.

Certainly is early,

Shaw ended up as a stand-alone senior coach without a senior assistant that could carry a heavy load and with no more experienced mentor. The culling of Jade suggests there was something not right with the balance of the group. The experience we have loaded in there now with Noble, Blakey, and Roos should make for a much more resilient organisation.

Yeah i can see your point 100%......but it's the way the game has changed and particularly the marketing aspect is massive to your survival. We will never be a "big" club and I don't care about that, but what is important is to change the whole narrative around North Melbourne. It's not sustainable to be forever "the battling club run on the smell of an oily rag".

I don't think the " narrative " around us will ever change LB2 sadly ☹ Been that way since 1925.

I have grown up with that and any sporting competition around the globe has it's North Melbourne's. Only change if we win 12 out of the next 18 flags and buy Marvel as our home ground and reach 75,000 members. Not a likely outcome.
What we have done for close to 100 years has got us this far. Things will always change and move around us. But bugger me we are always adaptable to that change. That is what we need to be the best at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think the " narrative " around us will ever change LB2 sadly ☹ Been that way since 1925.

I have grown up with that and any sporting competition around the globe has it's North Melbourne's. Only change if we win 12 out of the next 18 flags and buy Marvel as our home ground and reach 75,000 members. Not a likely outcome.
What we have done for close to 100 years has got us this far. Things will always change and move around us. But bugger me we are always adaptable to that change. That is what we need to be the best at.

The club clearly believes that Roos has the best chance of changing the perception. I know it is PR but they hit all the right notes in this piece:

The whole, "let's be plastic because that's the way the world runs now" thing fascinates me.

Success belongs to those who set the agenda, not those who follow them.

It's time to think BIG, and I don't believe North's recent administrations have been, or are currently capable of doing that.

Hilarious.

We literally led the way on the whole no pokies, community club, women's footy angle that ALL clubs are now one hundred per cent into.

Every premier I can think of for the last twenty years has the administration of the club in great shape. No one has won a flag in spite of the organisation being a basket case. It is what allows you to make those right decisions from a football perspective. Richmond's success is about far more than getting lucky with one draft pick. Even then if they had a weak organisation he would probably be a North player now.

If Melbourne had picked Dusty do you really think they would be a triple premiership dynasty by now? No chance in my opinion.

Good organisations make good decisions and align behind a single vision and strategy as Snake alluded to earlier.

Good administrations matter but it's not the be-all end-all.

There was nothing fantastic about the North Melbourne 1996, Brisbane 2001, Port Adelaide 2004 or Bulldogs 2016 administrations.

Wow a well respected football identity states we’re in great shape!
I miss the articles that say we should merge, relocate , haven’t decent people at the helm, can’t draw a crowd and live on handouts .
Times are finally a changing and for the better.
As an FYI I use expert consultants part time in my job , it makes perfect sense to do so .

Wow a well respected football identity states we’re in great shape!
I miss the articles that say we should merge, relocate , haven’t decent people at the helm, can’t draw a crowd and live on handouts .
Times are finally a changing and for the better.
As an FYI I use expert consultants part time in my job , it makes perfect sense to do so .

You needed an expert consultant to tell you to tilt the webcam lower?

Shaw ended up as a stand-alone senior coach without a senior assistant that could carry a heavy load and with no more experienced mentor. The culling of Jade suggests there was something not right with the balance of the group. The experience we have loaded in there now with Noble, Blakey, and Roos should make for a much more resilient organisation.
After listening to Roos, it really makes you wonder if some of coaches recruited last year were temporary appointments?
sounds like Rhyce and co might been in a few ears with an eye to the future before everything happened. Good coaching appointments take time, not many will drop what they’re doing at their current club in one off season.

Last edited:
Hilarious.

We literally led the way on the whole no pokies, community club, women's footy angle that ALL clubs are now one hundred per cent into.
Could not agree more. But has it led to any tangible benefit on or off field? The money from the government for the facility has been great, but is not really setting us up for the next 50 years to turn into a super power.

I guess my point is, we have been at forefront of "doing the right thing" - but is it a case of "nice guys finish last"?
Hawthorn and others still in pokies. Their president ran beyond blue, but wont exit pokies? saints and port in significant debt

But we get the short end of the stick from a brand perspective.

We need on field success, its the only thing that matters.

Could not agree more. But has it led to any tangible benefit on or off field? The money from the government for the facility has been great, but is not really setting us up for the next 50 years to turn into a super power.

We haven't folded, merged or been relocated.

So yes.

I guess my point is, we have been at forefront of "doing the right thing" - but is it a case of "nice guys finish last"?

Hawthorn and others still in pokies. Their president ran beyond blue, but wont exit pokies? saints and port in significant debt

But we get the short end of the stick from a brand perspective.

We need on field success, its the only thing that matters.

We haven't finished last onfield or off field.

But yep, agree 100 per cent onfield success is all that counts in the end.

The footy dept now has everything they need to deliver that too.

Yeah you are prob right Hojuman , but when we play exciting, attacking and aggressive footy that narrative does change for the time being. I do think the perception of us as battlers we have almost worn proudly as a badge of honour, and it’s probably the reason why most of us actually support the club, to be different from the norm. But I reckon the rest of our ethos as a club has been eroded over the years by sticking with this as our main mantra. There’s a whole lot more to North and supporting North than just batting above our weight. I like they we are trying to broaden the narrative around us. We will never be like other clubs, nor should we want to. But we are in a competitive environment not just for premierships. Yes we “exist to win flags“, which is each club’s basic premise, but there’s a whole lot more to North than that.
I tell my kids, when they inevitably ask, “Why do we support North, Dad?”, that “NMFC is different than the majority of clubs out there. Do you want to be a sheep and just follow X club because everyone else does? We haven’t been done for salary cap breaches, drug injection rooms, COLA garbage, priority picks or a Plastic Franchise etc etc. We get given nothin and still manage to fight our way to flags. We do give a s**t about the community and what’s right and wrong. That’s what NMFC is about!”

I really do feel the club is making a concertive effort to change the narrative or words used to describe North. It’ll take time.
It didn’t help that blokes like JB and Kingy, both in great positions to erase the narrative, who should’ve been better, would make jokes at our own expense just to get a laugh.
I think Kingy has improved a lot in that regard. JB still would sell his soul a little for a gag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back