Player Watch Round 1 NAB Rising Star Nomination

Remove this Banner Ad

Daicos no doubt was a little too confident with that first turnover start of the game. But rebounded strongly from that with over 400m gained on his 27 possessions, 70% efficiency, 6 inside 50s. Not sure what more you could ask for from a 1st gamer who was obviously roughed up a bit. Also played against a team with finals expectations rather than the bottom team.
Didn’t come out the way I meant it to. It was a good game for a rookie, just thought it was abit over blown by the media. If I ranked them it would be martin and rachelle neck and neck, then Newcombe then daicos. Every team has finals aspirations, saints are a very ordinary team though, they’re a bottom 6 team along with us, north and the pies.
Newcombe went at a higher disposal efficiency than daicos despite playing a mid/forward role, also more meters gained. 3 goal assists puts him second in the league in that stat and top 20 for score involvements.

Last edited:
Rachele was excellent but you can't overlook 27 touches, 10 marks and 5 goals. Superb.
Don't think the AFL could go past the infographic that Nic Martin's stats would provide.
He was also just...better than Rachele (marginally) and Daicos (by a distance, even though Daicos was also very good)

Nic Martin's game is better than the career best game of Isaac Heeney who we know is a star. I watched the whole game and he was a live wire all game, which is all the more impressive considering his side was deplorable. He has to get the RD1 nomination.

Btw Bailey Scott won the round 1 RS nom in a team that lost by 80+

Rachele almost dragged the Crows over the line single-handedly...

1. Rachele, 2. Martin, 3. Daicos, 4. JHF

Don't know why they can't just nominate both.
They have no problems giving dual nominations towards the end of the year. Usually for a guy that has had a good game and been good throughout the year, and a guy with a slightly better game.

These two lad's games were outstanding, Rachelle had more influence on the game result, Martin the better statistics.

Don't know why they can't just nominate both.
They have no problems giving dual nominations towards the end of the year. Usually for a guy that has had a good game and been good throughout the year, and a guy with a slightly better game.

These two lad's games were outstanding, Rachelle had more influence on the game result, Martin the better statistics.
This is a very sensible idea, though unfortunately far too sensible for the AFL to introduce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would still give the gong to Rachele myself, would be happy if Martin gets it.

If Daiocs gets the nomination it is a farce and the whole selection committee should be sacked (btw I think Nick Daicos will win the award, so I am not a hater, but I just don't think you can overlook 5 goals on debut)

I would still give the gong to Rachele myself, would be happy if Martin gets it.

If Daiocs gets the nomination it is a farce and the whole selection committee should be sacked (btw I think Nick Daicos will win the award, so I am not a hater, but I just don't think you can overlook 5 goals on debut)
I don’t think anyone here is saying that Daicos should be nominated this week to be fair, sounds a little like an anti Daicos post to me.

Daicos no doubt was a little too confident with that first turnover start of the game. But rebounded strongly from that with over 400m gained on his 27 possessions, 70% efficiency, 6 inside 50s. Not sure what more you could ask for from a 1st gamer who was obviously roughed up a bit. Also played against a team with finals expectations rather than the bottom team.
Newcombe 18 possessions with 4 turnovers. Started in the middle when the Roos midfield absolutely spanked the Hawks. Hawks evened it up after he was moved out to forward.

Was our top ranked player on the ground yesterday. Higher than Jiath.

Was our top ranked player on the ground yesterday. Higher than Jiath.
Yeah he came back well on the forward line. Wasn’t happening for him in the midfield. Particularly clearances. Still I think Jiath was the stand out. But he was fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back