Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Literal sleepless night after that result. Couldn’t get it out of my head.
I have woken up angrier than yesterday. It’s about winning and losing at the end of the day, and that is the worst loss since the 2012 GF. That loss will burn for years with the players, and just another reason to hate everything about Adelaide

Literal sleepless night after that result. Couldn’t get it out of my head.

There is no logic behind it given it's just a meaningless home and away game in a development year but it's the most hollow I've felt about a result since the 2012 grand final.

The boys gave it their absolute all and deserved a win.

I have woken up angrier than yesterday. It’s about winning and losing at the end of the day, and that is the worst loss since the 2012 GF. That loss will burn for years with the players, and just another reason to hate everything about AdelaideThay
That 2012 GF loss spurred us on to a three-peat.

Hurt can be turned into positive motivation. Judging by Ginni's reaction, we're already doing this...

I don't think Sam can just pass the defensive mindset onto the players. To three quarter time, the two best players on the park were Hardwick with 5 goals and Day. He moved both into defensive roles.

Players made a ton of mistakes in the final term which plainly weren't what the coach wanted, but the implied message in making those positional moves was to protect the lead.

It is a shame Rioli got a couple cheap gaols at the end there, cos Seamus absolutely gave him a bath today, He's already so good at locking his opponent down, the next phase for Shammy now is to get more of it it himself. Get him to 50 games and he is gonna be a stud.

This allows hardwick to be employed elsewhere too

Played great.
Will learn from the loss. Can't win a game kicking 0.1 in the last quarter.
Good to have those losses in 2024 rather than future years when we will be challenging. The competition is wide open moving into future years. We are the on the up and many sides above us are on the down.

I have woken up angrier than yesterday. It’s about winning and losing at the end of the day, and that is the worst loss since the 2012 GF. That loss will burn for years with the players, and just another reason to hate everything about Adelaide

I am not as angry as last night but very close. 41 up and a chance to take a scalp in our development and we completely stuffed it.

I love Sam Mitchells confidence/ arrogance but he completely butchered the Melbourne game and completely fluffed the last 30 mins of footy yesterday.

David King nailed it when he said “sometimes as coach you don’t need to overplay your role and let the players play.”.

That last 30 minutes was diabolical yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're five goals up with a quarter to go, you just keep doing what you're doing, because the opposition will start to take risks and you'll generate turnovers. I dislike the structural changes we did for the last quarter :/

Having said which, whilst not getting the win is disappointing, this year i still want a fairly high draft pick please, not some mid-ranger. Next year? Next year needs to be pushing for the finals.

Breust looked more fatigued than blokes who had played 3 quarters. Enough with the excuses for him please.

So many gave great effort today. It is sad that it turned to s**t late. We overcame our 1st quarter crapness only to save it for the last quarter this week.

From the moment Brown mentioned the free kick differential in commentary in the third, Port then received 14 free kicks in a quarter and a bit. Astonishing.

It hurts to lose this game with 40 odd seconds to go and the opposition needing two goals. HTF does that even happen. This result is going to indicate what the remainder of our season is going to be about and to show us what this club stands for. I am a believer and hope it will be used to spur us moving forward. It cannot be allowed to leave deep scars.

I still can’t believe we lost.
The selectors have made CJ and Wingard come back via BH - even if that meant he had another week off with BH having a bye, he should not have played.

This is another bad sub call from the club.

Finn or Ward would have been a lot more serviceable.

The loss still burns almost disbelief as I watched it unfold. But we need to be realistic when was the last time we were in that position. Coaches and players made mistakes as long as we bounce back this week.

Weddle was tagged, Jiath subbed out (managed minutes) Scrimshaw and Sicily both not playing the options were limited who to throw behind the ball.

We got destroyed in the middle
Butters had 17 touches in the 4th.
Boak 9.

I would of sent someone to Butters as JHF pushed forward. But in reality a couple off basic skill executions away from a win. Dropped marks, missed kicks one reset away from the win!

The one play I remember a kick to Dear open on the wing straight over his head out on the full. That's footy frustrating.

We have turned the corner I think we can win 3 in the next month. Go Hawks!

Perhaps, one small reprieve: surely the bastards will never be able to beat us in a more painful way ever again.

(After keeping us goal-less to halftime in 2017, as a 'sweetener'.)

I'm from SA & hate the pricks!

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I hear you. I'm from Adelaide as well, and over the years have had a gutful of being beaten by 1 point by Port Adelaide. It took me awhile to fathom why yesterday's loss hit me worse than some others, but this is it. I couldn't see any positives, all I saw is bloody Port Adelaide coming from well behind and beating my team once again.

Like many Hawks fans just want to beat the likes of Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, etc, the team I want to beat more than anyone else is Port Adelaide. Yesterday's loss really hurts.

That 2012 GF loss spurred us on to a three-peat.

Hurt can be turned into positive motivation. Judging by Ginni's reaction, we're already doing this...

For me, 2012 GF loss hurt farrrrr more. I was visibly upset for the whole bloody weekend - my gf thought I had lost a relative by how I was moping around. That loss only subsided, as in hindsight, it was the loss that fuelled a dynasty team.

This loss sucked, but the win would only be a confidence booster. I know this young group is good, so I'd feel largely the same if we win. Plus I'm super happy with the overall performance, bar the last quarter. I'm also partly happy as we still retain a good draft hand - I feel we need at least one more good draft before we climb.

So, so, so happy that for 3 weeks running (even during the Syd game), the boys are hard as nails at the contest. Such a huge improvement. We also won xG in this game, but couldn't punish Port.

I don't think Sam can just pass the defensive mindset onto the players. To three quarter time, the two best players on the park were Hardwick with 5 goals and Day. He moved both into defensive roles.

Players made a ton of mistakes in the final term which plainly weren't what the coach wanted, but the implied message in making those positional moves was to protect the lead.
Day was playing midfield didn't go behind the ball until the last 5 minutes. We brought Punk into the game and subbed out CJ for balance we needed to move Dimma back and move others like Mass to the wing. The positional move was required and wasn't in any way negative. Day's move was also spur of the moment. I mean started the last center bounce.

Leigh Matthews summed it up perfectly on Footy Furnace last night. He explained the moment you elect to push a player back into defence, you are now playing the game in your back half. He claimed the best way to protect a lead is to have the ball in your forward line where the opposition can't score. Makes perfect sense to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back