Preview Round 10, 2024 : Port v Hawthorn, 3:20pm Sun 19th May, AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tricky times re selection. To me it’s not just the simple dichotomy of “best available” verses “young player development” - it’s the building of team cohesion with younger players who are learning to play with each other - a very legitimate third consideration. After a couple of wins it would be very hard to **** with that.

Players gain confidence but so do teams. This one just won a game without Sicily and they are beginning to trust each other finally.

Chucking a player like Wingard in now….Im just not sure it makes a lot of sense and I love the shit out of him.

The on field coaching element is a fourth component. There is no doubt in my mind Professor Gunner has improved this forwardline

I bring no selection suggestions just mere tram ride nothings that will be forgotten through the winds of time…alas

Tricky times re selection. To me it’s not just the simple dichotomy of “best available” verses “young player development” - it’s the building of team cohesion with younger players who are learning to play with each other - a very legitimate third consideration. After a couple of wins it would be very hard to heck with that.

Players gain confidence but so do teams. This one just won a game without Sicily and they are beginning to trust each other finally.

Chucking a player like Wingard in now….Im just not sure it makes a lot of sense and I love the s**t out of him.

The on field coaching element is a fourth component. There is no doubt in my mind Professor Gunner has improved this forwardline

I bring no selection suggestions just mere tram ride nothings that will be forgotten through the winds of time…alas

I hear what you are saying - wiz, ginni, moore, breust - cant play them all with Wingard

At their absolute best Breust and Wingard are a step up on the others but I know that maybe stifles development particularly of Wiz. Having said that Wiz and even Ginni will need breaks in the next weeks. Moore too important to leave out. But if Wingard and Breust can rotate it gives young players a chance to learn from them.

Mind you if we win more than we lose in the next 6 weeks finals arent pit of the question - then you pick whoever is in form hitting the scoreboard

Best case scenario Scrim gets off

Sicily Lewis come back in and CJ a week later.

If I had my way I’d be dropping Worpel for Ward but that might be in a couple weeks.

Ins: Lewis, Sicily
Outs: Gunston, Serong?

Maginness was been quiet
not sure what Finns role was as he was a little invisible mostly. However, I saw him on Ross and Hill at times throughout the match. Neither Ross nor Hill had much influence on the game and finished with mid teens disposals. Id say that is a win for us.

God bless Gunston for what he's been able to do with Calsher Dear. He wound the clock back a bit in round 8 to help absorb the heat for Calsher in his debut, and to ride shotgun.

No doubt he's been a positive influence on our forwards. I hope he can get up every week, or at least every other week to play like he wants to even with Father Time pulling him in the other direction.

This is one game that we absolutely need to begin well to be a chance to win.
Not only to silence the feral locals but because port are not great at finishing off games.
They were 6 goals ahead of magpies and then folded in the second half and with the cats they almost gave up an 8 goal lead.

Scrimshaw is a huge loss, If Sic doesn't get up the experience heads down back will be tested. Phillips could debut.

Jiath is a automatic if he pulls up well and they are comfortable with his work load.

I don't see to many changes outside forced or automatics. Continuity is the key for this group you see the form wavers for the younger blokes coming in and out. Chol for Dear would be the only obvious swap for the week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will any of Sicily, Chol and Lewis be fit? That’s the big swing factor.

Sicily (if fit) straight swap for scrim.

Gunston played well vs dogs but struggled this week - not sure his body can play at intensity every week. Dear might need a break as well. Ramsden an option if Chol/Lewis not ready.

Hard to see CJ being risked given his injury troubles. Ward and Harry both available if we want more run.

I don’t know how you get that downgraded.
There was no room to move. It's the rule, not the decision that is the issue.

If Sicily or Chol are fit they come in, for Scrimshaw and Gunston ideally.

I'd play CJ either as sub or the guy to be subbed off. Unlike others who played VFL, he's a class above that level. The type of player who could have an impact in a short space of time too. Unless we intend to use Finn for a hard tag on Butters or Horne-Francis, I don't think he's offering much.

Technically the call is correct, no argument.

But hopefully they call it consistently when a similar action is done by a different player/team.
Depends on the team, time of year, weather patterns and star signs. WTF knows, definitely not me. They are only consistent in their inconsistency. GGGRRRR.

Hoping for a bit of a closer game but the mids will have to be absolutely on to avoid getting smashed. They are a super physical starting midfield and we will have to take the crowd out of it early.

Think we’re a better side than the 72 inside 50’s we conceded to them last year, especially if we can get scrim and Sicily into the team. Frosty in much better form this year also and hoping Seamus can stop Rioli from getting off the chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back