Preview Round 10 Changes v St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it too crazy to start trialling dudes forward?
Chappy?
Walker?
Aish?
Johnno?
Deelan?
Simpson?

Wilson?? Can we redraft him midseason?
Sturt played Wilsons role against EP last week and kicked 4 and should have kicked 5 or six. If Sturt can't get a gig because of a supposed lack of pressure then Willow has no chance.
Don't mind Chappy or Jono being tried up there though. Delean and Simpson look a little way off.

Sturt played Wilsons role against EP last week and kicked 4 and should have kicked 5 or six. If Sturt can't get a gig because of a supposed lack of pressure then Willow has no chance.
Don't mind Chappy or Jono being tried up there though. Delean and Simpson look a little way off.
If Sturt was fit I reckon he'd be a big chance this week, but he didn't even play at Peel.

But nothing's changed. As in we already knew this about switta but still wanted him back asap.
Two things have changed (granted, more on a season-to-season basis, not round-to-round, just that these issues may have been magnified recently especially with Banfield's wing minutes reducing):
  1. He's not as involved in score chains: Switta has never been a reliable source of goals, but it used to be that he had elite pressure, ground ball/contested work, and was a Miers-lite in terms of setting it up for others. His score involvement % was anywhere btwn 22-25% the past 3 seasons. This season it's at 16%. He's also always been around 60% in kicking efficiency: this season he's under 50%.
  2. Him being a fwd that doesn't really shoot was tolerable when he was really the only one. Now he's not even the worst culprit. Treacy and Banfield have lifted from a shot generation perspective, and the midfield unit has improved a bit in that respect too (shot conversion is a whole different story there). But going from Schultz (2.8 shots a game each of the last 2 seasons) to Emmett (1 shot a game!) and Walters' decline has counteracted that.

There is no point bringing in Ras or Brodie or anyone else to do JoM's role. He's not playing inside mid which is the only position either of those two can play effectively. 100% guaranteed they'd both get hauled over the coals here for playing **** just like JoM does. The role sucks. Brodie would be worse at it and Ras would at best do about the same.

Last thing Ras needs is his confidence destroyed playing out of position and getting dropped. He'll get a look at some point through injury or similar in a role he can actually succeed in.
Banfield is the anointed one.

You need to Keep this in mind...

When the dockers have been belted by 40-60 points when Justin Longmuir is coach, do we get a massive amount of changes? not really. Justin Longmuir wants the team to gel.

So.... maybe 2 or 3 changes, Possibly 4 at the most.

I have a gut Feeling Reidy will have a debut game in his home state of Victoria. So its likely gonna be this round 10 game vs the saints or Round 14 vs the dogs at Marvel.

Some of you guys want a debutant. Delean on a forward flank would be handy.

He needs to just stick to that role he was a top 40 champion data player for. Work everyone else around him.
Banfield should be on a wing permanently, he’s more damaging running forward from the wing than stationed as a full time forward. Johnson can alternate inside/ forward and occasionally on a wing when banfield’s on the bench having a breather. That would mean JOM is permanently HHF which I don’t think suits him but they refuse to drop so what do we do?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You need to Keep this in mind...

When the dockers have been belted by 40-60 points when Justin Longmuir is coach, do we get a massive amount of changes? not really. Justin Longmuir wants the team to gel.

So.... maybe 2 or 3 changes, Possibly 4 at the most.

I have a gut Feeling Reidy will have a debut game in his home state of Victoria. So its likely gonna be this round 10 game vs the saints or Round 14 vs the dogs at Marvel.

Some of you guys want a debutant. Delean on a forward flank would be handy.
Delean won’t be debuting anytime soon. He is promising but very raw and a work in progress. People turn on TV and see 1 flashy goal and make comments around get him in the team. The rest of the game he barely touches it. Same went for Cooper on the weekend except he got 2 goals to Delean’s 1. It’s a development year for Delean.

Hard to judge this weekend with many players affected by Cam McCarthy’s sudden passing.

The players at Peel ready to step up are names that generally won’t get too much excitement:
Hughes, Erasmus, Wagner, Worner, Brodie, Reidy (lots of hit outs but not much around the ground).

With regards to forwards
Tabs was rusty and looked generally not present - especially first half. Sturt didn’t play.

Erasmus is one I’d like to see be thrown forward a bit more during WAFL games. He floated forward and took a nice mark i50 but stuffed the set shot. His game on weekend involved good spread into space to be the link up player and did it very well.

I doubt Reidy will get a debut. The weather forecast (be it incorrect) may have persuaded them against that and the fact that Sydney have a good ruck duo. Marshall would tear him a new one and Tim English and support cast would give him a bath as well. Reidy has come on particularly the past month but still seems just too slow around the ground and offers next to nothing up forward.

This won’t garner much positive response but I’m not against trialling a smaller more attacking backline. Might cost some goals but give us more opportunity. By this I mean either Worner or Wagner in for Draper.

It has been suggested in this thread and with Chapman up and running along with Luke Ryan it would be worth trying.

Draper has been solid and would be unlucky but offers zero rebound.

Wagner is very attacking and one who manages to pull off some nice attacking kicks off half back flank.

Marvel might be the ground to pull that trigger to have a more attacking team.

Chapman is listed as 193cm.

Banfield should be on a wing permanently, he’s more damaging running forward from the wing than stationed as a full time forward. Johnson can alternate inside/ forward and occasionally on a wing when banfield’s on the bench having a breather. That would mean JOM is permanently HHF which I don’t think suits him but they refuse to drop so what do we do?

This but drop JOM and replace with Sturt (if he’s fit). We need players who can put it through the sticks.
Banfield showed earlier in the year he’s a great option on the congested side wing with Sharp on the fat side and Johno filling in on the wing (when Sharp or Banners are on the bench) and some inside minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

surely Switta gets a few games back for hes dropped?

The whole year he’s been subpar. Well below his best, lost his pace, sidestep and can’t kick beyond 30m. It’s not a one off. I haven’t written him off career wise, but he’s well and truly off the boil.

I’d prefer Wagner in the HFF and Worner into JOM’s hybrid wing role.

Agree. I wonder though if the last two games he was playing less wing to reduce his work load. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense to revert him back to fwd. Unless also they rather play jom on wing, cause they need to fit him in the team somehow.

Against Richmond was okay to rest but against swans, should of been used more wing

The dogs game is how I would like banners used in the role. He was everywhere. Some of his help to get us out of the back half in the last qrter as well as kick the goals won us the game

Seemed his tog has dropped too

Last edited:
The whole year he’s been subpar. Well below his best, lost his pace, sidestep and can’t kick beyond 30m. It’s not a one off. I haven’t written him off career wise, but he’s well and truly off the boil.

I’d prefer Wagner in the HFF and Worner into JOM’s hybrid wing role.
He had 2nd most tackles last week, his pressue is still ellite hopefully he can hit scoreboard more agree but no way wagner is better then Switta in that HF role

IN: Wagner, Worner, Darcy
OUT: JOM, Switta, Voss

Wagner - Sub

Walters full game.

I’m not sure why people are so down on JOM, he’s definitely not playing like he did at his peak but he is still way ahead of Plenty in the team. One of Switter or Emmett have to go, and Switter keeps his spot as his pressure/tackling is way ahead of Emmett. I would move JOM to Emmett’s spot and reward Ras for his performances at Peel playing the role that JOM has been. I’ve had my doubts about Ras but as others have said he is young, a high draft pick and clearly a level above WAFL. Also Voss out for Darcy

I’m not sure why people are so down on JOM, he’s definitely not playing like he did at his peak but he is still way ahead of Plenty in the team. One of Switter or Emmett have to go, and Switter keeps his spot as his pressure/tackling is way ahead of Emmett. I would move JOM to Emmett’s spot and reward Ras for his performances at Peel playing the role that JOM has been. I’ve had my doubts about Ras but as others have said he is young, a high draft pick and clearly a level above WAFL. Also Voss out for Darcy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240513-005006.png
    Screenshot_20240513-005006.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 80

Remove this Banner Ad

Back