Prediction Round 10: Changes Vs Geelong + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Two are coming in of decent breaks out, they won't be cherry ripe. Close will be fine only missing 1 week.

Duncan was their highest possession getter last week & that was against Richmond's midfield. We should win the middle but it will be a challenge at both ends of the ground.

Intruder incoming - I've heard the Purple Tribe isn't as feral as the Yellow and Black, so hopefully you don't mind the incursion.

Agree 100% about Duncan being important, especially with Danger and Guthrie. That's now 3 of our most senior players in the middle out, which makes it hard.

I thought we'd push Richmond last week based on our forward firepower - turns out you've actually got to kick straight to do that, though!

However, I think you're over-estimating our backline. It's been below its best all year, partly through injury and partly just through disorganisation. It's definitely not the same unit it was last year.

I think your guys will get on top in the middle, so it kind of does come down to if the Cats backs can pull themselves together enough to a) minimise your opportunities and b) provide enough rebound to give Hawkins, Cameron etc. good looks to score.

Intruder incoming - I've heard the Purple Tribe isn't as feral as the Yellow and Black, so hopefully you don't mind the incursion.

Agree 100% about Duncan being important, especially with Danger and Guthrie. That's now 3 of our most senior players in the middle out, which makes it hard.

I thought we'd push Richmond last week based on our forward firepower - turns out you've actually got to kick straight to do that, though!

However, I think you're over-estimating our backline. It's been below its best all year, partly through injury and partly just through disorganisation. It's definitely not the same unit it was last year.

I think your guys will get on top in the middle, so it kind of does come down to if the Cats backs can pull themselves together enough to a) minimise your opportunities and b) provide enough rebound to give Hawkins, Cameron etc. good looks to score.
How have you been form-wise when playing away this year?

I’m disappointed Johnson and Erasmus aren’t playing but can’t argue the escaped goats are playing well enough to keep their spots. Will rest easy for now that Ras and Johnson have shown a lot to be excited about and will screaming the door down every week.

Never as good as it seems but feel we have people on every line at Peel demanding selection so the A team need to be on their toes every week

May be alone here, but I love seeing Walyalup come up in news bulletins and the like.

Would bay an eye if we decided to make the change more permanent in some form, encompasses the greater area including cockburn where the training base is as well

Will brodie dropped twice. Has actually been serviceable but down on last year . Emergency last week, no game this week- no avenue for discussion
Great love here of young kids
Love of champions who are always injured
He is 24

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Definitely fair on the backline, they’ve a shadow of themselves this year and seem to be relying on the midfield too much. Maybe that was the case last year as well but we didn’t notice it.

Think everyone here is rightly concerned about the two best forwards in the comp tearing us a new one, if we don’t win in the midfield we’ll get pantsed I imagine

How have you been form-wise when playing away this year?

Pretty mixed bag - we've only played the two Geelong games so far (thrashed the Swans / nudged out Crows) so it's hard to get a read on it.

Have only played twice interstate so far - the "bye" against WC in Adelaide and a dead-set shocker against Gold Coast up here.

If we were playing you in Geelong, I'd only be marginally more comfortable - you and Sydney play GMHBA better than anyone else.

Over at Optus, I'm pessimistic - though a similar performance to last week (with straight kicking) might be enough to scrape over the line.

Will brodie dropped twice. Has actually been serviceable but down on last year . Emergency last week, no game this week- no avenue for discussion
He is 24

He helped Freo move quickly up the ladder. He's hand skills elite. Pace and endurance an issue.

Not sure what will happen while Johnson and Erasmus struggle to get games too.

JOM has been just ok and picked over Brodie.

I'm not sure what will happen as he is too good for WAFL.

I’m disappointed Johnson and Erasmus aren’t playing but can’t argue the escaped goats are playing well enough to keep their spots. Will rest easy for now that Ras and Johnson have shown a lot to be excited about and will screaming the door down every week.

Never as good as it seems but feel we have people on every line at Peel demanding selection so the A team need to be on their toes every week
Snuff unless there are injuries, I can't see how Ras and Johno will ever play in the same side as Fyfe and JOM. When Chapman returns he will take Hughes spot. That leaves Banners but he should be replaced by Sturt eventually. Do you see the dilemma? I can't see us realistically playing a GF before 2026 and both of those veterans are unlikely to be there. I'm not advocating to drop Fyfe/JOM but I have no clue how the club will address it.

Definitely fair on the backline, they’ve a shadow of themselves this year and seem to be relying on the midfield too much. Maybe that was the case last year as well but we didn’t notice it.

Think everyone here is rightly concerned about the two best forwards in the comp tearing us a new one, if we don’t win in the midfield we’ll get pantsed I imagine

Cameron had a non-affair last week in terms of goal kicking, though he racked up 21 possessions, so he might be under instruction to help out more up the ground.

It's kind of necessary considering the gaping hole in our midfield but it does reduce his opportunities somewhat. Perhaps that'll be mitigated by Close and Stengle - though Stengle hasn't set the world on fire this year.

i think the backs last year were nicely settled. Other than losing Stewart for the Prestia hit, there weren't many injuries, Zac Guthrie had a breakout year (and Kolo to a lesser extent), and everyone knew their role. This year, we lost Stewart 10 minutes into the season, De Konig has been in and out, Ratugolea has taken up a key role, so it's been hard to bed down. (You could be right though - lack of mid performance exposes them much more, which wasn't as much of an issue last year.)

Snuff unless there are injuries, I can't see how Ras and Johno will ever play in the same side as Fyfe and JOM. When Chapman returns he will take Hughes spot. That leaves Banners but he should be replaced by Sturt eventually. Do you see the dilemma? I can't see us realistically playing a GF before 2026 and both of those veterans are unlikely to be there. I'm not advocating to drop Fyfe/JOM but I have no clue how the club will address it.
There will be injuries and a sub spot up for grabs every week. Aish and Noddy also are just going at the moment.
Cameron had a non-affair last week in terms of goal kicking, though he racked up 21 possessions, so he might be under instruction to help out more up the ground.

It's kind of necessary considering the gaping hole in our midfield but it does reduce his opportunities somewhat. Perhaps that'll be mitigated by Close and Stengle - though Stengle hasn't set the world on fire this year.

i think the backs last year were nicely settled. Other than losing Stewart for the Prestia hit, there weren't many injuries, Zac Guthrie had a breakout year (and Kolo to a lesser extent), and everyone knew their role. This year, we lost Stewart 10 minutes into the season, De Konig has been in and out, Ratugolea has taken up a key role, so it's been hard to bed down. (You could be right though - lack of mid performance exposes them much more, which wasn't as much of an issue last year.)
I completely misread your post haha, thought you were talking about our backline - seems we have similar issues haha

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is 24

He is around the mark, will be back eventually

A grand final winning side has never taken the field again. Teams change a lot all the time, opportunities will present to those good enough, both if we are performing & more so if we aren’t.

How the * do you drop an inside bull like Ras when you’re coming up against one of the biggest bodied/hardest teams in the competition? Fyfe has been good as a sub - but let’s be honest - he’s only played short minutes.

Ras better be the ******* sub.
He’s young and inexperienced. It’s the obvious choice

We didn't bring in a defender so not Hughes

Aish, O'Driscoll and Freddy seem to be the 3 for mine

Probably rotate one of the mids through there too
Really keen on Frederick getting more time there. The forwards working it out allows Frederick to use his speed up the ground more

Erasmus and MJ are still raw and inexperienced.
JOM coming in has completely muddled things. He is in form the last two weeks, but MJ was primed to take Mundy’s spot. JOM just has to perform each week, because he’s the next on the block .

JOM coming in has completely muddled things. He is in form the last two weeks, but MJ was primed to take Mundy’s spot. JOM just has to perform each week, because he’s the next on the block .
You're ignoring team balance in terms of age/experience. You can't just replace Mundy with a raw kid and hope for the best. It'll work out in the long run.

A grand final winning side has never taken the field again. Teams change a lot all the time, opportunities will present to those good enough, both if we are performing & more so if we aren’t.
That's absolutely true but I guess my point is, Ras/Johno is what will get us there to begin with in 3+ years but only if they get the game time needed.

That's absolutely true but I guess my point is, Ras/Johno is what will get us there to begin with in 3+ years but only if they get the game time needed.
Who would you take out of this weeks 22 to fit them in?
I agree they should both be playing and have my opinions on several that could be down at peel but we can’t play 24 players either?

Banfield will be the next one out...

We have the top 4 midfielders in this game: Fyfe, Brayshaw, Serong, JOM
We have the top ruckman in this game: Darcy
We have more than matching wingmen in this game: Aish, NOD, Freddy

The entire midfield should be controlled by us.

No Excuses..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back