Prediction Round 10: Changes Vs Geelong + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

No doubt about that. It’s just interesting/disappointing that Brodie wasn’t allowed the chances JOM was in the first 7 rounds. JOM was terrible in the first 7 rounds. Whilst Brodie was not at his 2022 standard, thought he was going okay, and was building into the season like much of your side. Unfortunately he was afforded the luxuries to find form like JOM was despite his heroics in 2022. Deserves better after what he gave the side in 2022.

He needed to apply some defensive running and pressure. Pull up the stats and compare JOM to Brodie in the last game they played together. Notice something vastly different?

Or watch the game and notice how his direct opponent was the one clearing the ball from a handball receive.

Alternatively trade your 2024 first round pick for him.

No doubt about that. It’s just interesting/disappointing that Brodie wasn’t allowed the chances JOM was in the first 7 rounds. JOM was terrible in the first 7 rounds. Whilst Brodie was not at his 2022 standard, thought he was going okay, and was building into the season like much of your side. Unfortunately he was afforded the luxuries to find form like JOM was despite his heroics in 2022. Deserves better after what he gave the side in 2022.

You have to ask. Whose get a better ceiling to take this group forward supporting Andy and Caleb? Brodie or JOM? At 24 years of age, it’s gotta be Brodie.
Johnson and Erasmus. And they're both 19.

I love Brodie, but his defensive work this year has been awful. Neale in particular gave him a bath.

He needed to apply some defensive running and pressure. Pull up the stats and compare JOM to Brodie in the last game they played together. Notice something vastly different?

Or watch the game and notice how his direct opponent was the one clearing the ball from a handball receive.

Probably a bit unfair to say Brodie applied no pressure in his last game considering he had the 4th most pressure acts for the entire side?

ooo snap

Johnson and Erasmus. And they're both 19.

I love Brodie, but his defensive work this year has been awful. Neale in particular gave him a bath.
Are 19 year olds going to support them physically though? No they aren’t. The reason you guys were so good last year was because he allowed Andy and Caleb to do their thing. No doubt he wasn’t at his best this year thus far but geez give him a chance

Are 19 year olds going to support them physically though? No they aren’t. The reason you guys were so good last year was because he allowed Andy and Caleb to do their thing. No doubt he wasn’t at his best this year thus far but geez give him a chance
I think a lot were shocked he was dropped the times he was and didn’t like it but there’s no doubt the midfield functioned better with Erasmus and Johnson playing due to providing more defensively. Will still has a lot of support on here though and many had similar issues with JOM getting games ahead of him.

Given Fyfe offers almost less than Brodie defensively it will be interesting to see how we go against Geelong

I think a lot were shocked he was dropped the times he was and didn’t like it but there’s no doubt the midfield functioned better with Erasmus and Johnson playing due to providing more defensively. Will still has a lot of support on here though and many had similar issues with JOM getting games ahead of him.

Given Fyfe offers almost less than Brodie defensively it will be interesting to see how we go against Geelong

Fyfe does at least maintain body contact to his opponent and blocks well.

Agree on the Fyfe pressure comment, it will be interesting to see how he goes in full game (or 2/3 of a game if he’s subbed out) Brodie looked fantastic coming on as a sub in the Suns game, but lack of defensive pressure was very noticeable the next two games and he was dropped again.

I remember last year down at GMHBA Tom Stewart had like 40 disposals and was marking everything.

I hope there’s a plan for him, maybe Banners as a defensive forward?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember last year down at GMHBA Tom Stewart had like 40 disposals and was marking everything.

If Amiss, Treacy and Jackson split up (like last week) and the ball is used well by those delivering into the forward line (like last week) it'll be a non-issue. That'll be the plan.

If Amiss, Treacy and Jackson split up (like last week) and the ball is used well by those delivering into the forward line (like last week) it'll be a non-issue. That'll be the plan.

Yeah will be good to see the Bull/Thoroughbred/Unicorn holy trinity in action. 2 games for 2 wins so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richmond showed us how. Don’t kick it in high.
Unfortunately that’s been our go to for so long it’s default. Especially Q1.
However it’s been noticeable there’s been some improvement in the cooperation & craft up there & better method bringing it in lately.
Fingers crossed the tide has turned but stern test today.

I don't want or need Fyfe to be 'defensive' at this point in his career just win ball, dispose of ball.

Every game with Banfield playing instead of Sturt feels like lost opportunity/time

Won't play next week either given the lack of WAFL this week
I was a big anti-Banfield fan, but he has actually developed a lot and he seems to have the knack or footy smarts for want of a better term of positioning himself well.

Last year was a real eye opener for me watching him a bit more closely.
He's still a limited player but he's added more strings to his bow, including a decent eye for goal.

Sturt clearly has some talent, but he drifts in and out of games a fair bit when I've watched him.

Ultimately I suspect the MC is preferring Banfield because he plays a bigger team support role and is more flexible.
We like to focus on individual players but really the name of the game is to get the team on the park who can deliver a win, the stats are just a way of trying to break it down and interpret what helped or hindered that objective, they're not the outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back