Prediction Round 20: Changes Vs Geelong Cats + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

JL is happy with anyone but Sturt, kid could kick 6 and still be dropped or told he has to improve his tackling
Again... Dont get me Wrong... I dont want Sam Sturt to be cut.

He spent 3 years either injured or playing in the WAFL.

He played a full season in the WAFL in 2022. He suffered the similar fate as Josh Tracey. Couldnt get in as the dockers were winning and the forward structure was not gonna be changed if you keep winning games.

Now the team is struggling. Rotations to fringe and younger players are more frequent. thats a good thing and bad thing at the same time

But saying that, I am glad sam sturt is getting a run of dockers games.

Again... Dont get me Wrong... I dont want Sam Sturt to be cut.

He spent 3 years either injured or playing in the WAFL.

He played a full season in the WAFL in 2022. He suffered the similar fate as Josh Tracey. Couldnt get in as the dockers were winning and the forward structure was not gonna be changed if you keep winning games.

Now the team is struggling. Rotations to fringe and younger players are more frequent. thats a good thing and bad thing at the same time

But saying that, I am glad sam sturt is getting a run of dockers games.
The kid has talent you can see it waiting to unleash, he’s worked on his tackling as was asked now he just needs to get use to the AFL tempo and get his swagger back

The kid has talent you can see it waiting to unleash, he’s worked on his tackling as was asked now he just needs to get use to the AFL tempo and get his swagger back

Very good on the lead & reliable set shot. Kicked a beautiful drop punt from just outside the 50 last week. How many of our forwards would you back from 50? Treacy can do it, Amiss is getting there. Jackson maybe. It’s actually not bad if they’re all getting looks.
Sturt creates goals for others too.

I know I am gonna get panned out and flamed for this...

I was probably the biggest Shane Kersten fan on here. His 2017 season was solid considering freos horible forward line. 24 goals and 16 behinds from 20 games in 2017.

I would of loved to see how many more goals he would of kicked Had Taberner played more dockers games in 2017-19.

Very good on the lead & reliable set shot. Kicked a beautiful drop punt from just outside the 50 last week. How many of our forwards would you back from 50? Treacy can do it, Amiss is getting there. Jackson maybe. It’s actually not bad if they’re all getting looks.
Sturt creates goals for others too.

Thats Sam Sturts main strength. He doe not need to go full wayne carey and try and get packed marks from 2 or 3 other opponents. If there is open space, make the lead.

Jackson kicked some good set shot goals in tight angles too.

Amiss has scored a fair bit of set shot goals from 30-40 metres out. He has scored some goals on instinct too.

Some of the nonsense I’ve read justifying the use of the sub role to debut players is truly baffling.
I wonder how players made their debut before this sub rule was introduced? 😳

It’s such a conservative play. The tactical sub is meant to be a gamechanger. Something to use when things aren’t going your way to try something different.
We used it properly ONCE this season. It seems that was totally by accident. At Norwood against GC when Brodie came on in the third quarter and made a massive impact right in the engine room.
For some inexplicable reason we have barely seen him since even when fit and instead turned to debuting kids via the sub. Probably the lowest impact player of the 23 sits on the bench til the 4th quarter and plays a bit of what has usually been junk time (as most of our defeats this year are secured by the quarter time siren).

Not forgetting the shambles that was leaving walters on the subs bench too long in round 2 against north apparently due to a calf injury (it must have been a unique one because to me - if you have a soft tissue injury like that you are either fit or you are not, regardless if you play 5 min or 95 min)
Walters comes on for the last quarter and nearly wins the game off his own boot but it was too late.

Inexplicable.

We know JL is your new age warm cuddly type of coach .I can see that might have merit for many of today's footballers .

However , I think sometimes there might be a bit of "the tail wagging the dog" regarding players positioning and his reluctance to make changes

I personally think that Cox would be very useful as a swing man with stints forward when needed. The same applies to Clark. Give him a try on the wing OR have the flexibility to change positioning when things are going bad. Give the opposition something to think about. Can just imagine Clark bursting out of a centre break and hoofing it to the goal square.

However, both of these players have said "nah, I don't want to play there" , so can just see JL giving them a tap on the shoulder and saying "thats ok mate"

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just because he is pretty quiet and uncomfortable in front of the camera doesn't mean he is a "warm cuddly" coach. I actually think Longmuir is pretty vicious behind closed doors; you only need to listen to his blunt criticism of some of the players to sense that.

Also there are coaches like Macrae who have been very successful who have massive reputations as very cuddly coaches, so don't think we should write it off as a method either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some of the nonsense I’ve read justifying the use of the sub role to debut players is truly baffling.
I wonder how players made their debut before this sub rule was introduced? 😳

It’s such a conservative play. The tactical sub is meant to be a gamechanger. Something to use when things aren’t going your way to try something different.
We used it properly ONCE this season. It seems that was totally by accident. At Norwood against GC when Brodie came on in the third quarter and made a massive impact right in the engine room.
For some inexplicable reason we have barely seen him since even when fit and instead turned to debuting kids via the sub. Probably the lowest impact player of the 23 sits on the bench til the 4th quarter and plays a bit of what has usually been junk time (as most of our defeats this year are secured by the quarter time siren).

Not forgetting the shambles that was leaving walters on the subs bench too long in round 2 against north apparently due to a calf injury (it must have been a unique one because to me - if you have a soft tissue injury like that you are either fit or you are not, regardless if you play 5 min or 95 min)
Walters comes on for the last quarter and nearly wins the game off his own boot but it was too late.

Inexplicable.
You're conflating two very different kinds of argument. People justifying the sub role to debut players (or at least those posts about it that I've seen) are responding to criticism of that use of the sub role as being somehow immoral (destroys culture, demoralising for the player, etc.). The counter arguments are not that the sub role should be used / reserved for debuting players, but rather that it's not the crime that critics are claiming it to be.

Your argument is entirely different. You're not speaking about morality but about strategy. I completely agree with your argument, btw, but if it is the case (as it appears to be) that the coaching and match selection panel have no intention of thinking about the sub role more strategically, then I join those who see nothing (morally) wrong with debuting players as the sub — at least, now that it is a tactical sub again and not the abomination that was the medical sub.

Was hoping for Corbett to add something to our fwd line. Two things I noticed with him watching live.

1. Was reluctant to lead. Almost like he didn’t want to have the onus on him to take the mark.

2. For a guy 27/28 yo he was huffing and puffing more than anyone else on the ground. He should have a reasonable tank by now.

If they feel like Emmet is ready, swap him for Corbett.

Was hoping for Corbett to add something to our fwd line. Two things I noticed with him watching live.

1. Was reluctant to lead. Almost like he didn’t want to have the onus on him to take the mark.

2. For a guy 27/28 yo he was huffing and puffing more than anyone else on the ground. He should have a reasonable tank by now.

If they feel like Emmet is ready, swap him for Corbett.
Wasn’t Corbett supposed to be some aerobic beast at the Gold Coast? Either that is crap or their standards are poor

The tactical sub is meant to be a gamechanger. Something to use when things aren’t going your way to try something different.
Says who? The AFL just changed the injury sub so a team could use the sub without some player faking injury. They never said it was supposed to be used the way you think it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back