Prediction Changes: Round 14 Vs Giants + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm but you think tabs be good. I can see people reverting back to the argument that tabs in the team will get in the way of amiss lol

I think tabs is outside the 22 long term now. I think he’d be more effective than Fyfe, Banfield, Sturt, Kuek as a tall option providing the 3rd wheel with two of the JJJ.

Our structure is suffering right now due to a lack of mature talls.

I think tabs is outside the 22 long term now. I think he’d be more effective than Fyfe, Banfield, Sturt, Kuek as a tall option providing the 3rd wheel with two of the JJJ.

Our structure is suffering right now due to a lack of mature talls.
True. Because Corbett would be more leading fwd. Need two that can make a contest to bring it to ground and let our small forwards shark it or amiss lead

True. Because Corbett would be more leading fwd. Need two that can make a contest to bring it to ground and let our small forwards shark it or amiss lead

I think Corbett, Reidy, Kuek, Bennings have been largely disappointing in 2023, Taberner injured and Fyfe isn’t a forward.

Variety of reasons. Kuek is such a slow burn, not sure it’s worth the wait. Reidy hasn’t popped for a mature age recruit he’s still a work in progress. Corbett has been injured then underwhelming. Bennings is probably heading towards being delisted.

I’d get rid of all of them to have Meek back, but hindsight is wonderful.

I think it is also:
(1) We have an overall young team and there is a concern not to have too many young players in it. This may have even contributed to Walters and Fyfe getting two year extensions just simply because even if they are on half a leg, their experience is valuable to the team. The flip side is that Fyfe in many ways is filling up a spot that would be Erasmus'.
(2) Another one is that they seem to have pegged Erasmus as first and foremost an inside midfielder with a bit of time forward of centre, which is amongst the group that we have the most people competing for only four spots - Serong and Brayshaw are shoe-ins, O'Meara and Fyfe bring experience, Johnson brings the size and skill balance that we need, which is also keeping Brodie out. I am surprised across the last two years they don't try Erasmus on a wing, because the modern day key requirements for a wing are endurance (for which Erasmus is Top 5 in the club) and positioning (again a strength of his) but I recognize he hasn't been training in that position which is a disadvantage. I am presuming they don't because they believe he WILL be a critical part of the inside midfield at some point soon.
(3) I think there is something else as well - I have heard Longmuir talk specifically about "managing" Erasmus' time (even before he was "dropped" this last time) - like what you would do with a player that is injured or is compromised in some way. I don't know what this about; he looks ready-ish to play and I don't think there are any questions on his endurance (maybe there is on his upper body strength).

Between (2) and (3) there seems to be seem very complex plan for his development.
Good post.

once again we are the youngest team of the round - almost 2years and over 20 games younger than our opponent.

re inside mids and wings, last year we didn’t have fyfe or JOM and we still had Acres so it’s not surprising we developed Ras to his strengths as inside mid. He’s still very young and there’s plenty of growth for him at Peel, especially when you consider how young and inexperienced we are overall as a team.

we all need a bit of patience. Ras will get his chance for Another taste this year I’m sure - each time he learns something new and can work on it at Peel.

I think Corbett, Reidy, Kuek, Bennings have been largely disappointing in 2023, Taberner injured and Fyfe isn’t a forward.

Variety of reasons. Kuek is such a slow burn, not sure it’s worth the wait. Reidy hasn’t popped for a mature age recruit he’s still a work in progress. Corbett has been injured then underwhelming. Bennings is probably heading towards being delisted.

I’d get rid of all of them to have Meek back, but hindsight is wonderful.
I dont think it's a case of hindsight with Meek, the guy was not getting a best 22 spot at any point with Jackson and Darcy and he wasnt staying to play 1-2 games a year as back up when he can be best 22 elsewhere. We'd have all like to keep him but that wasnt really feasible

I dont think it's a case of hindsight with Meek, the guy was not getting a best 22 spot at any point with Jackson and Darcy and he wasnt staying to play 1-2 games a year as back up when he can be best 22 elsewhere. We'd have all like to keep him but that wasnt really feasible

He’s played a handful of games at Hawthorn and is once again sitting in the VFL. He’s now providing Hawthorn with great ruck depth without playing, no different to what he would be doing with us.

He’s played a handful of games at Hawthorn and is once again sitting in the VFL. He’s now providing Hawthorn with great ruck depth without playing, no different to what he would be doing with us.
He's played 11 games this year and is now like a lock in their best 22? Even if what you said was factually true (which it isnt), there is a very big difference competing with Reeves and Lynch to Darcy and Jackson

How Henry gets to pull on the jumper for us again is a mystery to me, he's a disgrace to the emblem (I'm awaiting a cease and desist from Snapper any minute now)
I feel like your venting is getting a little extreme on here of late, that's kinda gross and way overboard unless some joke has gone right over my head or something

It just really bothers me how Erasmus has been developed so far at the club. All last year too. Tossed around getting an odd game here and there or worse - being a regular sub. In for one game - drops for 3 then back in again.
How’s he meant to build consistency in his footy? If Sturt is indeed the sub that’s another weekend of footy gone for Ras.
Even if he is the sub - coming in 5 min before the end of Q3 isn’t ideal for an inexperienced 19 year old. A player like Brodie when he’s fit is an ideal sub, experienced and capable of making an impact immediately upon introduction in the midfield.

I want to see him ply 5-6 AFL games in a row, and rotate him between half forward and midfield. We heard Treacy this week speak (very well too) in an interview about how massive it has been for him to find the trust of the coaches and be backed in multiple weeks in a row, instead of constantly looking over his shoulder.

The fact is we NEED Neil Erasmus to become a high quality AFL player in order to win a flag in future. It’s as simple as that. We have a rubbish draft hand this year and limited scope to improve the list other than organic growth from within.
You need to get over it mate - he fit into his draft year by a few days and is thus coming from further back than Amiss and Johnson. He got his chance and it was clear he had to go back and work on his game.

He's looked great defensively when he's come in this season but isn't yet adding enough offensively to force his way in. The club wants him to be an inside mid and that spot isn't available at AFL level right now. They clearly want him to stay at Peel and develop his main craft rather than shoe-horning him into another position just to get him into the AFL team.

Patience is not a virtue of AFL club supporters.

He’s not getting a decent run at it.
Everything pints to delistment.

Half forward is a position that we desperately need to fill. He has some talent.

We need him to develop into that Fritsch type.
I don't agree; he's clearly floating between 23rd and 25th best player right now, that doesn't hint of delistment to me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's played 11 games this year and is now like a lock in their best 22? Even if what you said was factually true (which it isnt), there is a very big difference competing with Reeves and Lynch to Darcy and Jackson

You’re right, my mistake. I hadn’t appreciated he’d broken back into the lineup since round 5 dropping.

I think the post works to effectively reduce the variety of positions and arguments that have been made in the past for Banfield not holding his spot to "they hate him" and so is the definition of reductive. It was also directly in response to someone providing a reasonable suggestion as to why some posters have argued for Banfield to be dropped, or even just for Sturt to hold his spot.

It's offensive because it creates the impression that anyone who mentions dropping Bailey Banfield just mindlessly hates the kid.

Side note too, but offence isn't an objective standard.
A lot of what you say there is reliant upon hefty doses of interpretation (fairly or unfairly). The statement "...some people just hate him regardless" is fairly logically sound based on observable evidence. Although looking at it again the "nah" would fall into the dismissive category.

I feel like your venting is getting a little extreme on here of late, that's kinda gross and way overboard unless some joke has gone right over my head or something
I don't agree with that comment or condone it. However, I know that you were huge supporter of Henry. Others had made personal attacks on players and there's been no issue.

🙈 Lol

Hmm but you think tabs be good. I can see people reverting back to the argument that tabs in the team will get in the way of amiss lol
Tabs in the team will get in the way of the other forwards.

I would much rather play any other our forward line talls than go back to Tabs in the forwardline.

I don't agree with that comment or condone it. However, I know that you were huge supporter of Henry. Others had made personal attacks on players and there's been no issue.

🙈 Lol
Has anyone said Banfield was a disgrace to the jumper? Addtionally, I'm as much leveraging off their "the players dont care post" from after the game as anything

Tabs in the team will get in the way of the other forwards.

I would much rather play any other our forward line talls than go back to Tabs in the forwardline.
Maybe if he is given directive to not lead in same space as other forwards it maybe ok. Before he was the main man but not anymore. Otherwise play more out half forward more

Yeah, but if being ruck depth here was all he wanted from his career, I'm sure we would have accommodated him. He wanted to roll the dice and see if he could become B22 somewhere else. So we accommodated that.

Good on him. Its good to be ambitious. He probably won't make it, but it is no reason not to try.

Maybe if he is given directive to not lead in same space as other forwards it maybe ok. Before he was the main man but not anymore. Otherwise play more out half forward more
Playing up the ground he slows down ball movement like a big Ibbotson.

Our forward line looks inefficient and sometimes dysfunctional with him in there (well except against Essendon!).

And, small sample size, but much more potent without him in there.

I wish him all the best at his next club.

Yeah, but if being ruck depth here was all he wanted from his career, I'm sure we would have accommodated him. He wanted to roll the dice and see if he could become B22 somewhere else. So we accommodated that.

Good on him. Its good to be ambitious. He probably won't make it, but it is no reason not to try.
Yep, career wise he was better getting another 3 year deal while he had value. There wasn't many rucks on the market at the end of last year so it was also good for Freo to trade him for something rather than him walking at the end of 23 for not much. We recruited around him with Jackson so it's on us to do the right thing too.

i assume it's taking the piss out of a carlton fan saying that the players were a disgrace to the emblem after one of the losses (no i can't remember which one there's been a fair few this year)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back