Prediction Changes: Round 14 Vs Giants + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeh true. We don't play well in Canberra, NT or Hobart.
we literally beat them the last two times we've played them in Canberra, and I think we've only ever played in Hobart once.

A lot of what you say there is reliant upon hefty doses of interpretation (fairly or unfairly). The statement "...some people just hate him regardless" is fairly logically sound based on observable evidence. Although looking at it again the "nah" would fall into the dismissive category.
Yeh no doubt mine was a reaction within context.

My frustration is that there is a weird Banfield/Sturt undercurrent discussion that keeps popping up with the same few people on either side of the aisle.

My view of it is that those that have historically criticised BB's selection (and I'm one of those) have done so on the basis of form, output and what we consider to be preferential treatment compared to others (mainly Sam Sturt). Whether that's right or wrong doesn't really matter.

One response that has been coming up more recently from the other side, as in the case of this comment, has been that anyone criticising Banfield's continued selection isn't a real supporter and/or has a personal problem with him.

I find it to be a really frustrating strawman.

Why would anyone on here be concerned with anything other than his output and ability to help Freo win games? It's not like he's a Rory Lobb type and doing anything to cause people to question his character.

If anyone has examples of posters attacking Banfield as a person please share them and let's skewer the idiots that have gone down that path. I can't think of any examples but I'm happy to engage with specifics.

I wonder why they have moved Draper to defense when he played forward as a junior.
I know he’s not in the frame for selection yet but he’s another that could get opportunities next season with injuries & he seems a creative, organized player who could do well as a tall forward.

Seems strange to groom him for defense but maybe he’s bookmarked to understudy Pearce/Cox/Ryan along with Davies but it’s not like we have a plethora of young tall forwards.

Giants have beaten us both games in Sydney (when they were the clearly the superior side) and once in Canberra (when they were clearly the superior side). We've won the past two in Canberra (in the dry!), with one of those being in a GF year for them.

We are far better suited to Manuka (particularly dry), so tomorrow is a big test.

Missed 3 years with I jury
He's managed to play 36 games of WAFL footy and 9 AFL games -- two seasons worth of footy -- without showing he can nail down a spot.

I hope he makes it, but if you get this far into your career and you are still waiting for your chance to make it, well the odds are low that you do. He is a long way short of a sure thing and other players keep going "woosh" straight past him.

Everyone playing in the forward line ahead of him has shown more at League level than Sam Sturt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is the likes of Erasmus and Sturt going to get experience if we use this approach though?
We needs to get Erasmus to 50 games ASAP in particular. He’s a top 10 pick and one would assume a key part of the future premiership as we obviously aren’t winning it this year
Yeah Erasmus is a top 10 pick when he gets a drafted.

I'm glad he got handful of games in 2022.

Saying that, we do have experience in the middle.

Yet... I am not fussed if he isn't in the best 23 each week.

At worst he should be rotated and play dockers games every 2nd week as depth.

No issues with Erasmus and Johnson and even Chapman and o Driscoll playing 8-12 games this season.

If younger kids are rotated off the bench well that's good

Yeh true. We don't play well in Canberra, NT or Hobart.
It sucked when Freo played GWS every season from 2012-15 in Perth. I would of loved to have played them at least once away in that period to get that token away win.

I know Freo has won on the NT. Taberners debut game in 2013 was in the NT vs demons.

Pavlich pulled out injured.

Freo rarely got games vs North Melbourne in Hobart. Dead certain from 2012 onwards, we would of been good enough to get a win or 2 there.

Glad we beat North Melbourne twice in 2017, even if the away win was on Docklands

I wonder why they have moved Draper to defense when he played forward as a junior.
I know he’s not in the frame for selection yet but he’s another that could get opportunities next season with injuries & he seems a creative, organized player who could do well as a tall forward.

Seems strange to groom him for defense but maybe he’s bookmarked to understudy Pearce/Cox/Ryan along with Davies but it’s not like we have a plethora of young tall forwards.
Some believe that it improves a forward to learn the ways they will be shut down, and vice versa. Like sending Serong to defend Taylor Adams. Best seat in the house for the education.

Gees we really need to win this game today - it's massive for our finals chances - particularly after losing last week.

Having said that every game is super important, but win this and we'll sneak into 8th for now. If we cant win these sorts of games we're probably not worthy of a finals spot.

Looking at the ladder we'll be equal with 7th & 8th on points, and if Richmond knock of the Saints then we'll be close to moving up another spot.

Wont be easy today at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back