Prediction Changes: Round 21 Vs Brisbane Lions + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Goodness me. Sturt will be playing AFL for the next ten years while hamling might not ever play another game, conceivably.

Cox might not be the quickest to move the ball on but he’s a great distributor by foot and a decent interceptor too.
You are talking as it Hamling is providing drive and run from defence like Darcy Moore there. Joel is one of the slowest to move the ball on, much slower than Cox
Lets be clear, i'm not bagging Cox out. He's a fantastic intercept mark, and regularly hits targets by foot, great player, but i'd like him to move the ball quicker. I dont think we can compare Hamling to Cox at all. Hamo doesnt play that intercept role that Cox does, he's more your 1 on 1 defender so naturally doesnt get the same number of possessions. on the weekend Pearce played the intercept role and did it fantastically with quick movement after the intercept mark.

Lets be clear, i'm not bagging Cox out. He's a fantastic intercept mark, and regularly hits targets by foot, great player, but i'd like him to move the ball quicker. I dont think we can compare Hamling to Cox at all. Hamo doesnt play that intercept role that Cox does, he's more your 1 on 1 defender so naturally doesnt get the same number of possessions. on the weekend Pearce played the intercept role and did it fantastically with quick movement after the intercept mark.
And cox moved it quickly regularly last year. You can’t use one game of Pearce while ignoring a whole season of Cox playing to that level last year

why would we rush Cox back from an ankle? Surely the odds of us playing finals are beyond reasonable expectations by this stage and would Hamling's impact be much below what a returning Cox would produce? Cotton wool I reckon and get him sorted for 2024.
You shouldnt - wouldn’t - rush him back, but if he’s fit you want him playing. As much as possible we want the team that will take us forward playing together as often as possible.

Could very well find all 3 in this week given Brisbane’s height and versatility. Cox on Hipwood is a bit iffy. Gunston has the skill to kick 3+ if not the right match up

I think people are extrapolating too much on a 3 game sample size where we went 1-2. Pearce was being dumped on the first two games he played with Hamling and Hamling has played as good depth should - did his role well but wasnt a difference maker.
Yep, Hamling has been solid, but he played most of the last game on Ollie Henry (who kicked 2 goals) Ryan got the job on Jez Cameron and was lucky he kicked 1.5 instead of 3.3 (granted a couple of those where very wide but a couple were very gettable) if Hamling was playing on Cameron or Hawkins I’d be singing his praises.

Yes if the only player who has been prepared to run off from the backline has been Wagner. Has he been going against coaches instructions

And when Clark has the fastest opposition forward climbing into his back pocket unless he is deep in the pocket? Is that just a coincidence?

Freo will try and play a certain way, while denying the opposition how they want to play, while they deny how we want to play.

If Cox is ready to return I’d rather drop Hughes for Cox. He’s made it to 100 games. Pat on the back and back to Peel you go son.
Probably the better choice. That means Cox can play on Gunston/spare. Hamling then gets Hipwood with Pearce taking Daniher.

If there was ever a time to try cox
forward it would be now

if he sucks then swap hammer forward at half time (has done it at peel this year, he would love an opportunity forward)

Won't happen tho

Do we send someone to Lachie Neale?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we send someone to Lachie Neale?
its not so much sending young to Neale although that will happen…it’s taking Young to the ball and blocking things up defensively.

Dangerfield had * all clearances on the weekend and almost was never streaming out of the square. Therefore the defence is not under pressure as much from the bounce, or we won the clearance or at least split it for a secondary bounce

Goodness me. Sturt will be playing AFL for the next ten years while hamling might not ever play another game, conceivably.

Cox might not be the quickest to move the ball on but he’s a great distributor by foot and a decent interceptor too.
You are talking as it Hamling is providing drive and run from defence like Darcy Moore there. Joel is one of the slowest to move the ball on, much slower than Cox

Maybe Joel has had discussions with the club, and knows he won’t be at Freo next season. He’s giving his best in his last hurrah.

Maybe Joel has had discussions with the club, and knows he won’t be at Freo next season. He’s giving his best in his last hurrah.

It was probably decided mid season tbh but your list is still there to use if you need it.

Same goes for Wilson and Colyer if they’re genuinely the best option for one of our games before the season ends.

And when Clark has the fastest opposition forward climbing into his back pocket unless he is deep in the pocket? Is that just a coincidence?

Freo will try and play a certain way, while denying the opposition how they want to play, while they deny how we want to play.
That was in recent weeks. Before that, that particular job was done by Walker. Clark rarely ran off. Wilson did it for a week then stopped and was likely dropped because of it. Wagner has been doing it from the start, even in his first stint, so if he isn't supposed to be doing it, he is going against coaches instructions. Naughty.

Statistically Cox better - in a season where he is considered to have been below his normal output (ie playing a bit injured).
Yes. His stats look better than I thought. Visually, he appeared to have a fairly average season by his usual standards. Either I have seen it wrong or the stats don't tell the whole story.
To be fair to Joel though, he has barely played at the level for three years or something and the comparison was made because someone wanted to compare clangers between the two.

That was in recent weeks. Before that, that particular job was done by Walker. Clark rarely ran off. Wilson did it for a week then stopped and was likely dropped because of it. Wagner has been doing it from the start, even in his first stint, so if he isn't supposed to be doing it, he is going against coaches instructions. Naughty.
Arguably young has been doing it since the Hawthorn game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back