Prediction Changes: Round 21 Vs Brisbane Lions + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As expected, Wilson and Stanley named for Peel

I understand preferring Johnson & really Stanley has been incredible to come as far as a debit already but I was sneakily hoping they might give him a full game. Not playing at sis disappointing but I think we’ll see a lot more of him next season.

Not even remotely close

Serong
Jackson
Brayshaw
Darcy
Schultz
Ryan
Walters
Amiss
Cox
Young

"Literally" not

Young and Clark typically play a similar role in the team; ie. half back required to setup offense from the backline, an area we are well documenting in failing at this year. Confidence is easily lost and cohesion in attack is quickly lost when teams are failing, so a kicking eff stat of 66% odd in the scheme of where the team is at and the attacking nature of Clark's kicks is pretty good imo.

All of this rating business is psychological; people remember the lows better than the highs, but for me the biggest lows this season have been suicidal kicks from Young out of the backline which resulted in goals and felt like the turning point in about three consecutive games after the bye. I don't remember any such kick by Clark, and I remember attacking runs and delivery by Clark into our forward fifty. To that degree I instinctively rate Clark as having a better season. That is not to say that Young's game last week wasn't good or that Clark has been perfect in his delivery, or that Clark hasn't been countered (drawn away from the play) by the opposition at times.

Bearing that in mind, back to your list:
Cox - has had an awful year which is part forgotten because he has been injured, but has not provided my expectations in terms of counterattacking, and has been well beaten by his opponent on a few occasions. His decline has been a part of us being where we are on the ladder. Clark before Cox in terms of this year's performance.

Shultz has not been as bad as many say he has been but he had a long period since the bye of only 2 goals over 6 games which didn't turn around till the Sydney game including lots of missed "sitters".. Was he hurt by lack of inside 50s? maybe but he also had a lot of shots. So I would have Clark over Shultz.

Ryan - Ryan has arguably had some very good defensive games most notably against Cameron from Geelong (both games) and a few other players - Clark has also done some tight work on some key smalls throughout the year in addition to being our best rebounding defender. Ryan's kick ins have had too high a proportion of really bad turnovers and been contributions to teams getting a run on over us. Should he have been doing as many kick ins if the guys up the field had done their job? maybe not. But I would have had Clark better than Ryan for this season.

Brayshaw has by the standards he has previously set had a poor year, but from a team perspective his lack of clean pick ups around the centre clearances at times have directly resulted in goals as part of run ons of goals that opposition sides have had on us which have been game breakers. As pointed out on TV commentaries, there have been times where he would have gone for tackle which he just gave up on (Sydney game was a lowlight). Is he playing injured and is that affecting his play? Probably Yes. Is having him out there better than nothing. Probably yes. But I would have Clark equal or better than Brayshaw for this year.

Agree that Jackson, Serong, Walters, Amiss and Darcy (just maybe - he has had some match winners and some down games) have had a better year.

Young and Clark typically play a similar role in the team; ie. half back required to setup offense from the backline, an area we are well documenting in failing at this year. Confidence is easily lost and cohesion in attack is quickly lost when teams are failing, so a kicking eff stat of 66% odd in the scheme of where the team is at and the attacking nature of Clark's kicks is pretty good imo.

All of this rating business is psychological; people remember the lows better than the highs, but for me the biggest lows this season have been suicidal kicks from Young out of the backline which resulted in goals and felt like the turning point in about three consecutive games after the bye. I don't remember any such kick by Clark, and I remember attacking runs and delivery by Clark into our forward fifty. To that degree I instinctively rate Clark as having a better season. That is not to say that Young's game last week wasn't good or that Clark has been perfect in his delivery, or that Clark hasn't been countered (drawn away from the play) by the opposition at times.

Bearing that in mind, back to your list:
Cox - has had an awful year which is part forgotten because he has been injured, but has not provided my expectations in terms of counterattacking, and has been well beaten by his opponent on a few occasions. His decline has been a part of us being where we are on the ladder. Clark before Cox in terms of this year's performance.

Shultz has not been as bad as many say he has been but he had a long period since the bye of only 2 goals over 6 games which didn't turn around till the Sydney game including lots of missed "sitters".. Was he hurt by lack of inside 50s? maybe but he also had a lot of shots. So I would have Clark over Shultz.

Ryan - Ryan has arguably had some very good defensive games most notably against Cameron from Geelong (both games) and a few other players - Clark has also done some tight work on some key smalls throughout the year in addition to being our best rebounding defender. Ryan's kick ins have had too high a proportion of really bad turnovers and been contributions to teams getting a run on over us. Should he have been doing as many kick ins if the guys up the field had done their job? maybe not. But I would have had Clark better than Ryan for this season.

Brayshaw has by the standards he has previously set had a poor year, but from a team perspective his lack of clean pick ups around the centre clearances at times have directly resulted in goals as part of run ons of goals that opposition sides have had on us which have been game breakers. As pointed out on TV commentaries, there have been times where he would have gone for tackle which he just gave up on (Sydney game was a lowlight). Is he playing injured and is that affecting his play? Probably Yes. Is having him out there better than nothing. Probably yes. But I would have Clark equal or better than Brayshaw for this year.

Agree that Jackson, Serong, Walters, Amiss and Darcy (just maybe - he has had some match winners and some down games) have had a better year.
Liked for the write-up though I think while you've mentioned it, Ryan and Brayshaw are being against their previous standards and have still been better than Clark IMO. I cant agree on Clark being dropped regardless

I understand preferring Johnson & really Stanley has been incredible to come as far as a debit already but I was sneakily hoping they might give him a full game. Not playing at sis disappointing but I think we’ll see a lot more of him next season.
Yeah makes sense really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clark hasn't been nearly as effective as last year.
I've got a sneaky feeling we will be in this game up to our eyeballs

Glad to have Brennan back in the side but really feel for Hamling. He put in some admiral games especially given the length of time he has been out of AFL. It can’t have been easy trying to pick up where he left off.

I hope we keep him on our books for another year. We need that calibre of depth.

Not happy with the one change. Hamling out is annoying. Don’t rate Cox v Hipwood
With no chance to play finals these are the games to trial things. Leave Hamling in as he is looking mobile and throw Cox forward for a couple of games. Trial Clarke and Henry in the centre. It was like a miracle last week that we gave Young a run in the centre and look how that turned out.

Guess the writing is on the wall for hamling
We should NEVER play three KPDs unless Luke Ryan is out injured.

Unless you want to drop Pearce (lol after last week) or play forward Cox forward, dropping Hamling is the only option.

Whilst I don't think he's part of our plans next year I wouldn't read much into him not playing this week.

Would've liked cox forward simply because he is no chance there next year with Hamling likely being delisted

Season is over so trying something would have been fine

Ah well, he was never realistically going to move forward anyway but it would've been an interesting experiment

Maybe hammer sub and make the move at half time 😂

With no chance to play finals these are the games to trial things. Leave Hamling in as he is looking mobile and throw Cox forward for a couple of games. Trial Clarke and Henry in the centre. It was like a miracle last week that we gave Young a run in the centre and look how that turned out.
Even if I thought Cox as a tall fwd was worth exploring (I don't really given the talls we already have), I'd still be against it coz I think chopping and changing his position would only help Adelaide's pursuit of his signature.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back