Prediction Round 20: Changes Vs Geelong Cats + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, Stanley is not a bad option as a burst player.
Re the earlier discussion about debuting players in the sub role. Has probably only been the last 15 -20 years when any debutant would have seen game time in the first quarter or half of a game.
Prior to that they would have likely started on the interchange bench - which rarely got used before half time. Very similar to the sub role now really.
Showing my age here….

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Never underestimate how long good character can extend the career of players with limited talent (whether in a playing or non-playing capacity). Look at examples like Conca (who snuck into the leadership group here and is now player development manager at Melbourne) and Brady Grey (who seems to have occupied every non-AFL list role possible since being delisted by Freo). Corbett has already done AFLW coaching for Gold Coast and Freo, so I fully expect us to keep him on the list and then either we or some other club will offer him one of these off field roles. From all reports, an A Grade bloke.
High Five Regular Season GIF by MLB
Happy New York Yankees GIF by YES Network

Never underestimate how long good character can extend the career of players with limited talent (whether in a playing or non-playing capacity). Look at examples like Conca (who snuck into the leadership group here and is now player development manager at Melbourne) and Brady Grey (who seems to have occupied every non-AFL list role possible since being delisted by Freo). Corbett has already done AFLW coaching for Gold Coast and Freo, so I fully expect us to keep him on the list and then either we or some other club will offer him one of these off field roles. From all reports, an A Grade bloke.
Yes. The Dockery special. A grade blokes, with limited talent.
Meanwhile premiership clubs have A grade talent irregardless of the type of blokes they are

It was interesting to watch part of the Port V Pies game last week.Interesting in the way that Port took the ball into their forward line. Rather than bomb it in to suit the intercept markers, they kicked the ball low into the forward line.
It has bemused me for a long time why this ploy has not been used more often.
Why do we not use it! We have good ground players up forward, it would benefit them.
Amiss is a very good ground ball player, he gets a lot of his goals in that manner. Saves him having to battle against bigger bodies, at the moment , than his.
The likes os Switta, Shooter and maybe Freddy will benefit.
Sometimes when players deliberately kick it low or along the ground people assume they are a crap kick

So.... smashed by the swans at home but only 1 or 2 changes?

yep very uninspiring.
I wouldnt say "smashed" necessarily. Last 15 minutes of the first, then yes...but for the remainder of the game I thought they fought on quite well. Sometimes its worth persisting with a side that gelled a bit, to see if they can gel better and maybe play 4 decent quarters.
And...we dont really have many options banging the door down for selection.

Somehow not a lot of players making a case for call up.
I dont care.... make 3 or 4 changes. At worst Keep the best 18 available and rotate players off the bench.

We threw Joel Hamling in there despite being injured for the last 2 or 3 years.

Throw Nathan Wilson and Travis Coyler for a game, at least they bring effort.

I would of chucked worner in there rotating on a wing then forward pocket then bench if he wasnt injured.

I dont care.... make 3 or 4 changes. At worst Keep the best 18 available and rotate players off the bench.

I would of chucked worner in there rotating on a wing then forward pocket then bench if he wasnt injured.
Why though. If Wilson and Colyer more than likely be delisted

The only ones could have been Emmett or Reidy.
Emmett has just come back from a long out with concussion and Reidy seems a little way off yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney might ask them to put Barrass on ice.

EDIT: poor choice of words when referring to the toast. I mean, let him finish the season early so he doesn't get injured again.
Oh look

so why are we not roating more kids if thats the case? Ok guys like worner and walker are injured. Why not give one of the rucks a debut game?
What other kids are there ..we used them all. Can't play them for the sake of it, could stunt their development and confidence if they not yet up to it

As others said would like see how we go with Reidy but maybe against cats is not best time. Maybe next week

so why are we not roating more kids if thats the case? Ok guys like worner and walker are injured. Why not give one of the rucks a debut game?
I don't think playing too many kids offers anything as far as development goes. You need some experience out there.

Wilson brings effort? Bringing consistent effort is pretty much his number 1 weakness.

And naming players you 'would of' brought in if they weren't injured isn't a very good argument for changes either.

I'm not seeing much at all at Peel worth bringing in atm unfortunately.

Wilson brings effort? Bringing consistent effort is pretty much his number 1 weakness.

And naming players you 'would of' brought in if they weren't injured isn't a very good argument for changes either.

I'm not seeing much at all at Peel worth bringing in atm unfortunately.
Already have Corbett, Sturt, Hamling, Wagner in from Peel. Those 4 actually deserve to stay in.
Can’t see anyone else coming in either.
Reidy perhaps as structural, but coaches seem to avoid that.
Wouldn’t mind a dropping or two for say Wilson and Brodie.

Argue about the lack of changes all you want, but provide examples of who should come out/in.
I would have brought Reidy in for Corbett and Aish in for Switowski.
At least that way Treacy stays forward the whole game to build the partnership with Amiss. Reidy might only play 50% ruck and 30% parked in the goal square but it would mean Jackson is also only 50% ruck and 30% forward as well, rather than 80% ruck and 20% bench.
Switowski has offered very little, I’d like to see Stanley start the game and rotate forward and wing. If he gets too gassed sub him out halfway through the 3rd and bring Johnson on, I agree he’s starting to look tired, but coming on as sub for a 1/4 and a half would be better than nothing.
Out Corbett, Switta, Mj (sub)
In Reidy, Aish, Stanley
Would have been my suggestion

I would have brought Reidy in for Corbett and Aish in for Switowski.
At least that way Treacy stays forward the whole game to build the partnership with Amiss. Reidy might only play 50% ruck and 30% parked in the goal square but it would mean Jackson is also only 50% ruck and 30% forward as well, rather than 80% ruck and 20% bench.
Switowski has offered very little, I’d like to see Stanley start the game and rotate forward and wing. If he gets too gassed sub him out halfway through the 3rd and bring Johnson on, I agree he’s starting to look tired, but coming on as sub for a 1/4 and a half would be better than nothing.
Out Corbett, Switta, Mj (sub)
In Reidy, Aish, Stanley
Would have been my suggestion
Agree.
This is going to be a grinding game. That forward line v their backline. Going to clean up big time.
Jackson up forward with Treacy provides pressure. Just don’t get the Reidy apprehension. Just play him

I would have chucked worner in there rotating on a wing then forward pocket then bench if he wasnt injured.
Wilson and Colyer are cooked and not only that both have been below average at Peel. Colyer fumbles constantly and Wilson loves taking the behind kick outs but offers no defensive effort at all.

I would have flicked off Corbett for Reidy myself but whatever can’t hurt to give him another game if that is what is required to convince them that he is no good.

Hopefully NOD and Chapman can find some form at Peel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back