Prediction Round 8: Changes Vs Hawks + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have made more sense to start him on ground and sub him out to manage game time.

It really doesn't. Fyfe planning to come off needs only one in twenty one of the rest to either have a head knock or injury for him to have to stay on the ground and we are effectively a man down while he sits on restricted minutes.

Assuming the potential for incident is uniform across a game (which I don't believe it is), then bringing on the limited minutes player towards the end minimises the risk to the club.

Let him play some full speed minutes and then run after the game.

It really doesn't. Fyfe planning to come off needs only one in twenty one of the rest to either have a head knock or injury for him to have to stay on the ground and we are effectively a man down while he sits on restricted minutes.

Assuming the potential for incident is uniform across a game (which I don't believe it is), then bringing on the limited minutes player towards the end minimises the risk to the club.

Plus, he comes on when everyone else is tired and starting to slow down.

I hope Sturt leaves at the end of the year to a Melbourne or Collingwood type and becomes a star there, he deserves better than this

How much would his total running and high intensity running need to have dropped off since he started playing at AFL level for it to be fair?

If his cup empties faster because he has so much history of injury, that's okay, he will be a slow build.

Can just as easily have someone go down in the first 5 minutes

Can just as easily have someone go down in the first 5 minutes

And if Fyfe were a starter and it wasn't Fyfe going down, we will be one down on the bench when Fyfe maxes out his minutes.

Is it more likely that Fyfe will play his allotted minutes or that there will be an injury?

It's really not that hard.

Plus Justin said he is trying to work out the best player to bring into he forwardline to compliment Amiss,, Jackson and Sturt so we don't know what the long term plans are with Sturt. Plus he said we are going to give players a little taste.

fyfe as the sub makes complete sense to me after being out for 6 weeks, instead of expecting that'd he be fully match fit straight away
If he's not fit enough ... don't play him. He's too valuable to play unless he is absolutely cherry ripe

If he is fit enough ... its not nothing short of insulting

If he's not fit enough ... don't play him. He's too valuable to play unless he is absolutely cherry ripe

If he is fit enough ... its not nothing short of insulting

That there are programs called Couch to 5k should demonstrate to reasonable people that fitness is not a binary, it's a scale.

To me making Fyfe an emergency smacks of desperation. Just keen to rush him back for some minutes even if he's not 100% for a game.

A bit like rushing Barlow back from his broken leg in 2011, when we were struggling.

Both Matthew Johnson and Michael Walters have built into the workload of an AFL game via the sub position. It's entirely reasonable for Fyfe to do the same if Michael Walters did it earlier in the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That there are programs called Couch to 5k should demonstrate to reasonable people that fitness is not a binary, it's a scale.
Sure its a scale. But a decent high performance team could prepare him to play away from game day to the point where he is ready to run out a full game.

Both Matthew Johnson and Michael Walters have built into the workload of an AFL game via the sub position. It's entirely reasonable for Fyfe to do the same if Michael Walters did it earlier in the year.
And it was insulting to Walters too. For a young kid, I can get it (to a certain extent).

But your sub shouldn't be a place where you hide a player who is still building their fitness.

Is there data on the AFL website on how much distance a player runs per game?

With all due respect if someone comes off with concussion and Fyfe get's subbed on how is that any different?
my point is if he is on managed minutes strictly adhered to when and if someone gets injured would be irrelevant.

And if Fyfe were a starter and it wasn't Fyfe going down, we will be one down on the bench when Fyfe maxes out his minutes.

Is it more likely that Fyfe will play his allotted minutes or that there will be an injury?

It's really not that hard.
It's the same outcome?

Fyfe starts on and someone else goes down so he isn't subbed and sits on bench for last

Or Fyfe starts sub, someone goes down first 5 so Fyfe plays whole game and sits on bench in last?

With all due respect if someone comes off with concussion and Fyfe get's subbed on how is that any different?
my point is if he is on managed minutes strictly adhered to when and if someone gets injured would be irrelevant.
BTW , Happy to have a look at Erasmus anyway , Seen a lot of Nat over the years so all good ;)

Is there data on the AFL website on how much distance a player runs per game?

Yes and no. The data exists for all players and umpires but you'll just see the top five players data available.

The club tracks the movement of players at training with their effort broken into brackets of intensity to chart how hard they are training.

Same on match day.

We aren't dealing with two equally likely things to happen, as much as an injury/head knock event is uncontrolled it's also far less unlikely than Fyfe maximising his playing minutes.

The two shouldn't be discussed as if the rare example invalidates the prudent approach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back