Prediction Round 23: Changes Vs Port Adelaide + prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Why bother with Banfield..we know what he is. He’s fine. Surely use these opportunities to try out others and see what we have/don’t have in the larder. How often do you get a real AFL game to try out your wares? Tom Emmett comes to mind.

TBH it is pretty important we win. If we go into the pre season with 4 wins in a row, that's a hell of a confidence boost.

If you watched the game against Claremont Banners did more than kick 4 goals. Should of had 5 as one was a missed gimme, and the other miss was gettable.

He had few other direct goal involvements where he handpassed or with kicks into forward entry that were marked and goaled from.

Ran through the middle and seemed to also help out down back.

Recently seemed to have upped the aggression a bit. Got in a scuffle and seemed more physical. Think this has been instructed by coaching on something he prob had to work on

Would like see banners play hhf and not third tall. So would leave Corbett in and banners in for Walters. If mids can get the ball in quick, banners will run havoc

Prior to his injury against the pies he seemed to be playing higher up. Had decent game considering the team got belted
well I live in South Australia, So I dont watch peel games unless its on the AFL website

The club usually puts something up on the socials by this point for a debutant - meeting with JL, announcement at training, etc

The club usually puts something up on the socials by this point for a debutant - meeting with JL, announcement at training, etc
Thinking the same. But still debuting him makes sense. Playing Wilson or Colyer makes no sense to me at this stage of the season. Banfield deserves a spot instead of Corbett based on last week and Emmett for Walters even when he starts as sub.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think there is differing view on debutants starting as sub.

Adrenaline dump is a real thing. I say better take in the atmosphere, watch the pace of the game, then ease into it. Doubt they expecting big impact in first game . Imagine starting and blowing yr wad by half time lol

Lets Go Nba GIF by Storyful

Yessir, very nice.

Sounds like he's starting on the field.

Fremantle have named their fourth AFL debutant for 2023 with Tom Emmett getting the call up for Sunday’s clash with Port Adelaide at Optus Stadium.

The 21-year-old arrived at Fremantle as a mature-aged draftee in the 2022 NAB AFL Draft, selected at no.41 from Sturt in the SANFL.

He joins Matthew Johnson, Karl Worner and Ethan Stanley as Freo Dockers to make their AFL debuts in 2023.

Emmett is the likely replacement for injured forward Michael Walters (calf) and was told the news in front of teammates in a meeting at the Club on Friday, where he was congratulated by Senior Coach Justin Longmuir.

“The effort when you go out there to execute your role, hunt the ball and hunt the man has been first class.

“You’ve been playing some really consistent footy and literally banging the door down asking me when you’re going to get a game!

“Your form has been that good, we couldn’t look past you mate.”

Emmett will play his first Fremantle game in the retro tri-panel anchor jumper the Club wore between 2001 and 2005, and he said he was thrilled to have his opportunity.

“It feels unreal, it’s such a dream when you’re growing up,” Emmett said.

“Coming to the Club and working on things through the year to get to the level and to reach this dream has been amazing.

“Over the last few weeks I feel like I have had pretty consistent form and it really shows that JL notices that and does reward form.

“Hard work pays off, you have just got to stay ready…you keep rocking up, keep doing the reps and keep working on little things all year.”

Emmett’s road to the AFL has been longer than most from his draft class, and he has also dealt with his fair share of adversity.

At 16 he was diagnosed with cancer, then as he was hitting his straps as an 18-year-old and getting the attention of Fremantle's recruiters, he suffered a serious achilles injury.

The hard times made Emmett especially thankful and proud to finally achieve his AFL dream.

“It is quite emotional, I didn’t play much junior footy at SANFL clubs I just played in year 12 at school,” Emmett said.

“I had illness and sickness when I was 16 and 17 and to finally get this opportunity…it’s something you look to as a goal, but you never really know if you’re going to achieve it.

“Looking back it’s pretty emotional, pretty emotional for mum and dad as well.

“Being sick in hospital and spending extended periods of time in there with mum and dad and not being allowed to run or do activities like that (was hard).

“To get this opportunity now is unbelievable.”

Last edited:
Think there is differing view on debutants starting as sub.

Adrenaline dump is a real thing. I say better take in the atmosphere, watch the pace of the game, then ease into it. Doubt they expecting big impact in first game . Imagine starting and blowing yr wad by half time lol
Is that you Justin? Killjoy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back