Prediction Round 19: Changes Vs Sydney Swans + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

At his age and how quickly he has progressed he sounds like a find. The tank will come with a preseason or two in the system.

His kicking has been good but he hasn't been put under any significant pressure yet; with his speed at WAFL level he is easily able get yards ahead on his opponents within seconds. That may be a different story at AFL but the fundamentals are there and he knows how to use his speed.

So…

Jackson has been playing through injury in recent weeks but Longmuir said he was up for the challenge.

“Some of (Jackson’s injury) concerns were caused off the back of his spike in ruck loads. He went from second ruck and minimal ruck playing mostly forward to all of ruck," Longmuir said.

"That was a big jump, which he wasn't used to. This time hopefully he's used to it, because he's already been through it and he's had that taste for being a no.1 ruck and his body is up to it.”

Let’s do the same thing and hope for a different result….

Table Flip GIF

So…

Jackson has been playing through injury in recent weeks but Longmuir said he was up for the challenge.

“Some of (Jackson’s injury) concerns were caused off the back of his spike in ruck loads. He went from second ruck and minimal ruck playing mostly forward to all of ruck," Longmuir said.

"That was a big jump, which he wasn't used to. This time hopefully he's used to it, because he's already been through it and he's had that taste for being a no.1 ruck and his body is up to it.”

Let’s do the same thing and hope for a different result….

Table Flip GIF
I sort of get the frustration but I really dont think Reidy is an option at this stage. The oppo ruck would destroy us around the ground

Everything? At WAFL level anyway:
  • Composed under pressure and while being tackled, finds a way to get the ball out to someone to advantage and not just dump it
  • Decent size
  • Decent (not elite) pace
  • Massive and accurate kick of the ball
  • Goes hard when it's turn

Things to work on would be his tank and getting a bit more of the pill, though that wouldnt be easy playing WAFL on the wing primarily. I would guarantee whatever happens this weekend, the board is going to be pretty excited with how Stanley plays after Saturday
im-excited.jpg

Has there been another case of a mid-season recruit playing in the back-half of their first season before?

Clever marketing by Freo, they know that many fans weren't going to return after that insipid trash against Carlton... I don't know why but I'm more keen to see Ethan Stanley in his first game than just about any other debutant recently. I'll probably go now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I sort of get the frustration but I really dont think Reidy is an option at this stage. The oppo ruck would destroy us around the ground
Not advocating for Reidy, I think Jackson should stay forward though. Use Treacy or no ruck at all, Have Jackson as an extra mid. I dunno, be creative for once instead of hurr durr Jackson ruck.

If he gets proper injured again or worse? He went from absolute freak to meh just because we used him in the ruck and his body wasn't up to it.

It looked really bad tbf, like he'd been stabbed or something.
Hmmmm...didn't catch when he sustained the injury..someone did post that he was limping arriving back to perth

Unfortunate then. Thought he did a few good things against the pies

Last edited:
Has there been another case of a mid-season recruit playing in the back-half of their first season before?

Clever marketing by Freo, they know that many fans weren't going to return after that insipid trash against Carlton... I don't know why but I'm more keen to see Ethan Stanley in his first game than just about any other debutant recently. I'll probably go now.
Ryan maric, Caleb poulter, quinton narkle all this year? Others?

Not advocating for Reidy, I think Jackson should stay forward though. Use Treacy or no ruck at all, Have Jackson as an extra mid. I dunno, be creative for once instead of hurr durr Jackson ruck.

If he gets proper injured again or worse? He went from absolute freak to meh just because we used him in the ruck and his body wasn't up to it.
i Understand the concern somewhat, but he is a ruckman…

Remove this Banner Ad

Back