Prediction Changes: Round 17 Vs Carlton + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

A cardboard box blowing around in the 50 is an upgrade on Logue

Think we’ve missed Logue this year to be honest, Chapman pushed him out of the backline last year, but he’s been injured most of the year and we’ve resorted to playing Hughes. We really need a 3rd tall defender against teams like the bulldogs and giants. Cox plays much better sagging off the resting ruck than having to shut down a key forward.

Would love to have Logue on Curnow this week so Cox can be 3rd up and just read the play.

Think we’ve missed Logue this year to be honest, Chapman pushed him out of the backline last year, but he’s been injured most of the year and we’ve resorted to playing Hughes. We really need a 3rd tall defender against teams like the bulldogs and giants. Cox plays much better sagging off the resting ruck than having to shut down a key forward.

Would love to have Logue on Curnow this week so Cox can be 3rd up and just read the play.

Yep. He kept Curnow goalless last year. Not much you can do though when a cashed up bottom 4 club is prepared to make an offer like that & you can’t guarantee someone a starting place in their preferred position.
Acres was very good against Carlton last year too.
Looking forward to seeing if Erasmus can have an impact. He’s the kind of player we need to get desperate in the clinches today.
Hopefully Jackson is over his hip too & can work some of his magic.

I don't want to watch Acres getting 30 touches in the back half before bombing it high and long to a turnover that we score from only to jump back on bigfooty and read about how we miss him. But I expect to see both. And that's ok.

Someone I know spoke directly to a current player yesterday who said they miss the defensive running Acres provided & it’s adversely affected other players ability to get into offensive positions in transition as they’re having to cover ground Acres used to.

It’s not a coincidence that our best run of games last year coincided with Acres best form & that our game plan suffered when he was injured. When we beat Carlton last season Acres & Logue were in our best players. That’s just fact.

The size of Carlton's midfield presents a massive problem against our tiny midfield. Last year we had Brodie, Mundy, Acres, NOD, even Tucker is bigger than most of our current mids. All we have this year are greenhorns in Johnson and Erasmus, plus Jackson (who I would give cameos on Cripps at centre bounces) seems limited by an injury.

I think Darcy needs to be a dominant BOG for us to have any chance. And by dominant, I mean grabbing the ball out of the ruck and booting it himself, or smashing the hitout (especially centre bounces) forward. Clear the stoppage and try to win on the outside. If we try to compete at the foot of the stoppage, we will get murdered in clearances, and Cox/Pearce have shown a tendency to leak goals if the key forwards get supply.

The size of Carlton's midfield presents a massive problem against our tiny midfield. Last year we had Brodie, Mundy, Acres, NOD, even Tucker is bigger than most of our current mids. All we have this year are greenhorns in Johnson and Erasmus, plus Jackson (who I would give cameos on Cripps at centre bounces) seems limited by an injury.

I think Darcy needs to be a dominant BOG for us to have any chance. And by dominant, I mean grabbing the ball out of the ruck and booting it himself, or smashing the hitout (especially centre bounces) forward. Clear the stoppage and try to win on the outside. If we try to compete at the foot of the stoppage, we will get murdered in clearances, and Cox/Pearce have shown a tendency to leak goals if the key forwards get supply.
Get Erasmus on Cripps, at worst it will be an education.
Young midfield minutes would also be
a good sign for next year.

Nah all good apparently. God i hope they prove me wrong this week at least. I'm sick of losing to Carlton.

FREMANTLE'S quick feet and movement around stoppages can be its weapon against Carlton's bigger bodies in a crucial clash at Optus Stadium on Sunday, according to star ruckman Sean Darcy.

The Dockers have adjusted to a smaller midfield this season after the retirement of champion onballer David Mundy, with Nat Fyfe's absence also robbing them of a big-bodied option.

Someone I know spoke directly to a current player yesterday who said they miss the defensive running Acres provided & it’s adversely affected other players ability to get into offensive positions in transition as they’re having to cover ground Acres used to.

It’s not a coincidence that our best run of games last year coincided with Acres best form & that our game plan suffered when he was injured. When we beat Carlton last season Acres & Logue were in our best players. That’s just fact.
Again, so stupid to get rid of him when we had no replacement.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back