Review Round 11, 2021 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

From the bits I saw on the weekend, DBJ's problem was making the wrong decision on when to go up for a spoil and when to stay down. Burton made a similar mistake at one stage. I suspect they are still trying to work out a more effective system than having all defenders up for a spoil and allowing the easy goal out the back. Having someone stay down allows for quick movement out after the spoil, if the spoil is effective. The problem was that on each of those occasions, DBJ's (and Burton's) player was able to drift across the front of the pack, rather than just being another element in the crush, so they need to pick their moments better.

From the bits I saw on the weekend, DBJ's problem was making the wrong decision on when to go up for a spoil and when to stay down. Burton made a similar mistake at one stage. I suspect they are still trying to work out a more effective system than having all defenders up for a spoil and allowing the easy goal out the back. Having someone stay down allows for quick movement out after the spoil, if the spoil is effective. The problem was that on each of those occasions, DBJ's (and Burton's) player was able to drift across the front of the pack, rather than just being another element in the crush, so they need to pick their moments better.
Getting the balance right of players going up for the spoil and players staying down for the crumb has been a problem for about 10 years now.

DBJ is playing well enough to retain his spot in the side.

DBJ is not playing remotely near what he is capable of based on last year.
This is how i see it too. There is no one out of the side that could do a better job right now, but he does need to lift because his form is down on last years standards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back