Review Round 11, 2021 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

there’s heaps factually wrong to pick apart here

cracking into him for only getting 10d and he needs to have more impact for so few disposals..

Ive already shown on a few occasions this is a fallacy. Key forwards aren’t the massive ball winner some seem to imagine they are..

What if I told you Marshall was one of the higher disposals averages in the league for a key forward?

slapping Marshall for link up play as a chf? He’s one of the highest inside 50 averages in the afl for key forwards.

“doesn’t take pack marks” As Ive noted repeatedly he was 19th for contested marks for key forwards in the afl before this round.

I noted he kicked a goal before 3/4 time after your claimed he was “unsighted” until the 4th Qtr.

As for the skill errors, Marshall is one of our better skilled players. If you’re picking up his errors consistently I would say you are looking for them cause our 22 yr old kf is not the main culprit in our side of seasoned established players committing skill errors. We’ve got a bounty of seasoned mids and flankers who commit skill errors multiple times a game. Three quarters of our side couldn’t hit a barn with a hand pass.

Are you confident in naming a port player who hasn’t kicked the ball out on the full with an open goal in front of them this year? I wouldn’t want to try.

You've misconstrued some of what I've said.

It's fairly obvious that Marshall's role in our side isn't to be a leading goal kicker. If you were to compare him with other KPFs of the competiton in that category, he'd be well down on the list - especially when comparing him to the KPFs of the top half dozen clubs on the ladder.

So if he's not going to kick an abundance of goals he needs to be an elite link up man. I think he has shown a lot in that space, but if that's his main role then he needs to be averaging more than 11 touches per game. Bump that number up to 13-14, it'll make a big difference to his overall output.

It's fine to say that 11 touches per game is good for a KPF, but if you're not kicking goals you need to be getting involved more as a link man imo.

My point of being unsighted is that 1 goal and 4 disposals in 3 quarters is hardly a good output.

My point has always been if he's going to have such a limited amount of disposals every game, then he can't afford to be making as many mistakes as the guys getting 25 touches a game. I never said his skills were bad. At times they are as good as any in the side. But he makes some maddeningly questionable decisions at times that make you as a fan want to pull your hair out.

I want him to be successful. But I think once Lycett comes back that there will be an honest conversation to be had regarding the KPF selections.

You've misconstrued some of what I've said.

It's fairly obvious that Marshall's role in our side isn't to be a leading goal kicker. If you were to compare him with other KPFs of the competiton in that category, he'd be well down on the list - especially when comparing him to the KPFs of the top half dozen clubs on the ladder.

So if he's not going to kick an abundance of goals he needs to be an elite link up man. I think he has shown a lot in that space, but if that's his main role then he needs to be averaging more than 11 touches per game. Bump that number up to 13-14, it'll make a big difference to his overall output.

It's fine to say that 11 touches per game is good for a KPF, but if you're not kicking goals you need to be getting involved more as a link man imo.

My point of being unsighted is that 1 goal and 4 disposals in 3 quarters is hardly a good output.

My point has always been if he's going to have such a limited amount of disposals every game, then he can't afford to be making as many mistakes as the guys getting 25 touches a game. I never said his skills were bad. At times they are as good as any in the side. But he makes some maddeningly questionable decisions at times that make you as a fan want to pull your hair out.

I want him to be successful. But I think once Lycett comes back that there will be an honest conversation to be had regarding the KPF selections.

If Marshall was averaging 13-14d a game while just “maintaining” his stats already ie 1.3G 2.2 inside 50’s and 1.6 contested marks he would be in elite territory.

I just looked it up and there’s only 5 players in the afl that qualify to your standards and it’s a list of all-Australian winning senior players with 1 exception (naughton) who most consider the heir apparent and a future multi - all-aus contender.

If a key forward is going to make way when lycett comes back.. and I don’t know that is the way we will go, it’s much more likely to be the talented but often disappearing Georgiades.

Dixon charged with striking ... farce.
Only a fine... probably because-
A. Fox only showed 1 replay
B. Wilson isn’t besties with Eddie or an AFL good boy
C. It was the late game against Freo, so no one cared
D. There wasn’t any character assassination from the commentary.

Now if it was Jonas....
$2K fine with an early plea. Meh.

If Marshall was averaging 13-14d a game while just “maintaining” his stats already ie 1.3G 2.2 inside 50’s and 1.6 contested marks he would be in elite territory.

I just looked it up and there’s only 5 players in the afl that qualify to your standards and it’s a list of all-Australian winning senior players with 1 exception (naughton) who most consider the heir apparent and a future multi - all-aus contender.

If a key forward is going to make way when lycett comes back.. and I don’t know that is the way we will go, it’s much more likely to be the talented but often disappearing Georgiades.

If we look at the top teams in the competition this year (and going back reviewing the past 7-8 years) all of them have 2 great KPFs. West Coast have had Kennedy and Darling. Richmond have Riewoldt and Lynch. Geelong this year have Hawkins and Cameron. Brisbane have Daniher and Hipwood. The bulldogs have Bruce and Naughton. An obvious exception this year is Melbourne who aren't really reliant on any one forward and are getting a vast spread of goalkickers each game.

Where would Dixon and Marshall fit in when ranking these duos? If we are going to win a flag they both are going to need to play at a high level.

I think that Georgiades will be dropped and they keep Ladhams as 2nd ruck with Marshall and Dixon in the forward line once Lycett returns, but if the coaches want to get Ladhams higher up the ground given he has a good knack of finding the footy, dropping Marshall to have Georgiades as a #2 KPF playing closer to goal would have to be a serious option discussed by the selection panel.

Marshall is clearly the better KPF in terms of link up and disposal around the ground, but I'd be picking Georgiades every time in terms of work done in the forward 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Already has (credit to whoever once posted this):

View attachment 1142794

That's Jasper Byrne-Jones. He was taken in the same draft as these two:

98av5l.jpg

2n6exaa.jpg

Fun fact about JBJ: Because he appeared early on in our popular 'Welcome to Port Adelaide Charlie Dixon' thread, his face appeared as a featured image for the search term 'Charlie Dixon' on Google between 2015 and 2017. You can still find him there if you scroll down.

jbj.png

Last edited:
I dont understand all the hate towards this kid, he plays his role and the coaches wouldn't play him if he didnt. Not everyone can be the big inside bull like Wines or Boak, we need outside players and YES we all know he's very outside! However I did see he had 2 tackles which is 2 more than Houston & Alir and one more than Jonas & Rozee so thats a positive :) I sat at the Southern end yesterday and watched on 5 occasions in the first qtr Bonner getting burnt by our mids and defenders when he was clearly the right option to use. Twice the offending players raised their hand and apologized after not using him. Freo after qtr time put numbers behind the ball to stop our forward movement, so why would defenders and mids go long to contest? Probably why the short controlled option was used so much and yes Bonner did this as did most of the side.

I do recall a risky corridor switch kick to Burton in the 3rd qtr that set up an attacking play and the delightful left foot checky under pressure on the eastern wing out in front of Rozee that also created forward movement, no mention of that from the haters. 5 score involvements (same as the other wingman) and 80% disp eff (Amon 67%) which he is always criticized for. Its his 3rd AFL game back after a nasty tendon injury, he is building.

You cant knock his work rate, he runs the wing as hard as anyone and is acknowledged by the defenders when he gets back to help them out. Bonner is a role player and thats my biggest knock on him, he needs to be more selfish, take the game on like he did in the first qtr when he ran around the man on the mark and laced out Dixon. And to take the ground on offer in the 3rd qtr and kick the goal rather than trying to hit up Rozee.

He's the whipping boy win or lose!
Not really. The issue is you could put a football on the ground midway between Bonner and a chicken, and I’d have more confidence of the chicken winning the ball.

Richmond have Riewoldt and Lynch.
Before 2017, Richmond were constantly going with Jack Riewoldt and some potato of a tall forward because two talls was vitally important for structure. And it was more important to maintain that structure than play you're best 22 players.

It wasn't until 2017 when Hardwick finally dropped back to playing Riewoldt as the lone tall marking forward, dropping the potato for a better small player. And all they turned around their rubbish performances, rather than playing spuds just to maintain structure.

An obvious exception this year is Melbourne who aren't really reliant on any one forward and are getting a vast spread of goalkickers each game.
At the moment they're running with Weidemann and Tom MacDonald. While Weidemann was injured they were playing rotating Jackson and Gawn as a second tall forward while the other one rucks.

This could be the dumbest comment for 2021.
These guys are Port players and we love them, but you need to also be objective & honest. Stop defending the indefensible!
DBJ is an AA star. We love him .. But he is seriously out of form, and playing crap! That is a stark reality, and he knows it too.
Bonner has some great potential, but has been a shocker as a defender, and is running out of time. He had a good preseason, looked great up forward initially, but back in defence he is looking like a car-crash.

DBJ has runs on the board & we know will come good.
Bonner must NEVER play as a defender again. He has got to play on the wing or forward AND improve his defensive game, or he plays SANFL for the rest of his Port tenure.

This is not "hating" on these guys, its just seeing the game & their form for what it is. If you dont agree, then truly you need to stick to the Disney channel.

These guys are Port players and we love them, but you need to also be objective & honest. Stop defending the indefensible!
DBJ is an AA star. We love him .. But he is seriously out of form, and playing crap! That is a stark reality, and he knows it too.
Bonner has some great potential, but has been a shocker as a defender, and is running out of time. He had a good preseason, looked great up forward initially, but back in defence he is looking like a car-crash.

DBJ has runs on the board & we know will come good.
Bonner must NEVER play as a defender again. He has got to play on the wing or forward AND improve his defensive game, or he plays SANFL for the rest of his Port tenure.

This is not "hating" on these guys, its just seeing the game & their form for what it is. If you dont agree, then truly you need to stick to the Disney channel.

Thats all well and good, but drop them for who?

We are tapping our depth at the moment due to key injuries. I don’t see anyone below them who could do a better job, even with their low returns in recent games.

Thats all well and good, but drop them for who?

We are tapping our depth at the moment due to key injuries. I don’t see anyone below them who could do a better job, even with their low returns in recent games.
I’m not a fan of Lienert but I’d be giving him a go instead of Bonner. I agree it’s scraping a barrel.

We were lauding our depth at season start
Not me. I said we had depth in our flankers position but not much elsewhere. We have 3 rucks and some people were saying trade one of them, as if our rucks never get injured.

Our depth is decent but nobody has enough depth to cover getting smashed by injuries in one specific part of the ground (midfield). Rockliff, Butters, Duursma and Mead all out long term (as in, half the season or more) plus Lycett getting himself a 4 week suspension. Impossible to deal with.

Our depth is decent but nobody has enough depth to cover getting smashed by injuries in one specific part of the ground (midfield). Rockliff, Butters, Duursma and Mead all out long term (as in, half the season or more) plus Lycett getting himself a 4 week suspension. Impossible to deal with.
Yet we are dealing with it pretty well at 8 and 3. People are still complaining that we don’t look like a premiership contender, but we are still just getting it done enough to stay around the mark. There are a lot of teams that would be struggling worse than us with the quality we have out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back