Autopsy Round 11, 2024 : Hawks poach the Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Punk. What can i say i choked up when the BREEEEUUSSTTT chant went up when he kicked it to gunners in the last. What a champion.

I got emotional at this as segment of play too - we have been so bloody lucky to see these two connecting with one another for so long and it reminds you it could be one of the last times we see it. Was such a bloody fitting way to end the game - the new generation of Hawks showing their prowess for four quarters and then Breust and Gunston putting the icing on top right at the end.

The thing about Chol is he's pretty hard working. I don't know what game the "Chol is lazy" types watch but he's basically a Reject Shop Nick Riewoldt in the amount of time he spends up the field and leading back, the number of tackles inside 50 he lays and the amount of running he does to be available.

Controversial but there is a stereotype of laziness attributed to black players that Chol seems to have attracted - in the same way indigenous players are always "magical" instead of a recognition of the work they do to be able to do that.
I was banging on about how we were using him incorrectly (circumstance dictated) early on in the season. Now we have a few tall forwards about, he's really been able to shine and use that elite straight-line speed for his size. Great to watch, and he's anything but lazy.

Watching the first half again now and one thing that really stands out is Meek's speed over the first 4-5 paces. Someone his size has no right to move like a rover!

With slightly better connection between our mids and forwards, Hawthorn could have blown the game open earlier, they created a heap of space to deliver, but took the wrong option.

Great game, we have so much to look forward to. Dear, Meek, Day and now CJ coming into the side has completely changed the look of this team. I thought we were in trouble for tall stocks, but if McCabe is as good as we hope, then I was WRONG!

Edit: Man I forgot to mention Moore, he's stepped up his game again, the man is an absolute monster with his second, third... n'th efforts. Love seeing him taped up, getting the rewards for throwing himself in selflessly.

Chol can outsprint nearly any defender (I would love to see Frosty and Chol going at the loose ball). With his great leap, he can make any ball a contest if he has three or four steps to lead up. What he can't do is stand and muscle for position with a key-defending gorilla. He needs a partner to anchor or distract the opposition defense and then Chol shines. Dear, despite being 18, and Gunners, despite being old enough to almost be Dear's dad, do that well enough that Chol can get off the chain.

It's a team sport, after all.

(Also, enough of the racism every time a black player is criticised. Saints supporters swear blue that Max King is lazy. Is that, too, racism in some way?

In that stretch of three or four games after Lewis went down and before Dear joined the seniors, Chol struggled to make himself an effective target. Fact. It is legitimate criticism to note that Chol can't play the single key forward effectively. He's the second tall, and he's pretty good at it. But he's not a first tall and when we needed the him to be the first tall he couldn't do it well.

Team sport. Everyone has their role to play.)

Last edited:

Well, you talk to a bunch of dills then.
His observations of what is taking place around the action of the ball, why players end up in the spots they do, why they make the decisions they are making, and other commentary stands out from the play callers who see ball and not much else.
In fact, his observations are often jumped on/built upon by other callers like Brad Johnston who love the insights he's illustrated.
If you want color, not just a call of chain of possession, then I reckon he's the best in the game.

Don't really give a **** what the other supporters think. They're just a bunch of torn arses he wrecked during his playing time and they never got well.

Couldn’t agree more!

Derm is brilliant because he focuses on what’s happening off the ball, outside the range of the TV cameras. He therefore provides invaluable insight to TV viewers. Yesterday, for example, he alerted us to how the Lions were loading up through the centre square on the way out from their D50, while the cameras were following the ball in close-ups in their D50. That’s something folk at the ground would’ve noticed but not those of us watching on TV.

Derm is far and away my favourite ‘expert opinion’ caller on TV. Amongst the ‘ball by ball’ callers. Matt Hill and Jason Bennett are the best - it’s a pity they don’t do as many games as the others, especially the worst, which include BT, JB and Underwood.

A great afternoon with other Hawk members in the allocated Members area on the outer half forward area.

Our supporters are there is good numbers each week: I've been to all the games at the MCG and Ice Park, and the noise from our supporters has been great. When Chol took that mark in the last quarter (right in front of us), there were lots of supporters standing and cheering and they kept on right to the final siren.
I would normally be shouting at them to sit down, but I just joined them!

So great to win a game against a supposed top team, particularly withstanding their late comeback, and taking off again. Happy that the "veterans" were good when it was their turn.

Sorry to the Brisbane supporters for my mate continually shouting "we haven't lost to Fitzroy since 1980", but at least it was the truth!

Special mention to the guy who won the race against the fence/sign thingy: he had such a great smile on his face, we just knew he would do it.

Go Hawks!

A great afternoon with other Hawk members in the allocated Members area on the outer half forward area.

Our supporters are there is good numbers each week: I've been to all the games at the MCG and Ice Park, and the noise from our supporters has been great. When Chol took that mark in the last quarter (right in front of us), there were lots of supporters standing and cheering and they kept on right to the final siren.
I would normally be shouting at them to sit down, but I just joined them!

So great to win a game against a supposed top team, particularly withstanding their late comeback, and taking off again. Happy that the "veterans" were good when it was their turn.

Sorry to the Brisbane supporters for my mate continually shouting "we haven't lost to Fitzroy since 1980", but at least it was the truth!

Special mention to the guy who won the race against the fence/sign thingy: he had such a great smile on his face, we just knew he would do it.

Go Hawks!
I actually love seeing games at docklands - and yesterday was no exception.
Paid a premium for L2 seats but the bars and facilities are great. Seats were comfy - great view, all the things you could ask for.

As for the cold - I had my ski jacket but didn't wear it until it was time to walk home

I actually bought a DVD of that game off "name a game". Watched it a million times - it's when Buddy and Roughy showed they were gonna be something special.
I have an image in my mind of Jordan Lewis squaring up to Michael Voss in the centre square and thinking this lad is going to be good for us. Was it in this game?

Massimo is already passing any ceiling I thought was their, his game is excelling at the moment and I’m sure those missed kicks in the 50 will drive him even more.

Would love to see him get a few more shots on goal around the 50, will make him a really damaging player. Pretty crazy we got him basically for free

Breust is done. The way the players got around him after that last kick was not a standard goal celebration

I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure they got around him cos the siren had gone and we won the game (after being criticised all week for how we finished the game the week before). They didn't celebrate earlier cos Breust was mid kick for goal. The players just enjoyed the win as much as us fans is my take on it.

I know you've been very critical of Breust this year but he played less than a quarter in a high stakes final term and was involved in nearly all of our scores - kicking a goal, a behind and giving a beautiful assist to Gunston (ala 2015) amongst 5 touches. To do that in just 17% game time suggest he still has something to offer and I'd be very surprised if that is the last we see of him.

I doubt it.

I'm pretty sure they got around him cos the siren had gone and we won the game (after being criticised all week for how we finished the game the week before). They didn't celebrate earlier cos Breust was mid kick for goal. The players just enjoyed the win as much as us fans is my take on it.

I know you've been very critical of Breust this year but he played less than a quarter in a high stakes final term and was involved in nearly all of our scores - kicking a goal, a behind and giving a beautiful assist to Gunston (ala 2015) amongst 5 touches. To do that in just 17% game time suggest he still has something to offer and I'd be very surprised if that is the last we see of him.

I haven't been critical of breust.
I've merely acknowledged how he's slowed down.

Maybe I am overthinking it, it did seem like they were carrying on over a veteran kicking a goal late in their final season though

Massimo is already passing any ceiling I thought was their, his game is excelling at the moment and I’m sure those missed kicks in the 50 will drive him even more.

Would love to see him get a few more shots on goal around the 50, will make him a really damaging player. Pretty crazy we got him basically for free
We'd been playing too safe in the third quarter, lots of long kicks down the line. I thought it took a lot of courage from Mass to chisel one inside which led to the steadying Gunston goal late.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Honestly froze everything off in that igloo of a stadium, but I thought the Hawthorn SDNR celebration deserved a mention?

gettyimages-2154683073-612x612.jpg

Jars leading the team onto the ground through the smoking bowl, whilst a young woman sang the Hawthorn theme song solo after being translated into Wurundjeri was a wonderful touch, all overseen by an indigenous art themed Hawk patrolling the stadium roof from end to end.

Uncle Colin welcomed us to Wurundjeri country and the performers enjoyed genuine applause from the 30,000 crowd.

gettyimages-2154695674-612x612.jpg

The finale - Chance Bateman tossing the coin.
His jumper was brilliant, as was the Hawthorn Football Club Sir Doug Nicholls Round pre-game celebration.

Well done whoever arranged it - splendid work.

Seen a few comments about it being really cold there, I was just in a T-shirt and hoody and was perfectly comfortable. 🤷‍♂️

I was in a tshirt also because it was so bloody nice outside - but it was annoying being at Marvel if only because it would have been the optimal day for sitting in the sun at the G.

Seen a few comments about it being really cold there, I was just in a T-shirt and hoody and was perfectly comfortable. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah same I was in a T-shirt as well. Level 1 on the wing can get cold though with the open gates behind you that allow a cold breeze through

Last edited:
James Sicily looking comfortable in a t-shirt at Marvel:

1716784983694.png

I watched the game on replay last night and it was an interest comment made that we had 3x runs of 4 goals. We're starting to do to teams what they did to us earlier in the season.

Seeing Will Day and the way he just makes the whole stoppage do what he wants is pretty amazing to watch. Looked like he was not playing midfield in the third when Lions had momentum.

I think the most pleasing part of the day was beating a decent side PROPERLY. Can't call it luck, can't having the rub of the green, or cos of injuries to them ,or any of that.

It's very interesting to see what difference Dear has made to the team as well. He's provided something that we haven't had for a while and I can't put my finger on it. 5 goals in 4 games is a neat start to his career.

Dear has a FEEL for the game in the forward line. Good Hawthorn pedigree and plays for the history of the jumper. It’s all there on show.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just wanted to mention that I thought that this year's indigenous jumper inspired by Bateman's story by artist Jade Dolman was a true work of art. Both home and away versions are so striking and the players looked fantastic in them.

The best thing about the Hawthorn jumpers, IMO, is that you can tell they are Hawthorn jumpers AND you can tell they are specially designed. St Kilda's jumper looks like something from the Adelaide reject box in the 90's.

It's very interesting to see what difference Dear has made to the team as well. He's provided something that we haven't had for a while and I can't put my finger on it. 5 goals in 4 games is a neat start to his career.

I find Dear a fabulous enigma. Skinnier than a bean pole but somehow able to cause trouble in the forwardmost position. I expect to see the beefy defenders with five or six seasons under their belts bullying Dear into irrelevance, but somehow, he manages to make space for himself and cause space to be made for others. A pleasant mystery.

The best thing about the Hawthorn jumpers, IMO, is that you can tell they are Hawthorn jumpers AND you can tell they are specially designed. St Kilda's jumper looks like something from the Adelaide reject box in the 90's.
Absolutely. Thought the same thing. A number of other clubs look like they've just added a graphic or two to a normal jumper. Ours are a whole work of art and the limited colour palette works really well. Love them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back