Preview Round 11: No Changes v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the chances of Thommo being named in the 25 (let alone the 22) is somewhere between zero and non-existent.
I agree it should be, but you know that this has been a line that has been played over and over again at our club. Experienced bodies seem to get a lot of weight (no pun intended) at our selection table.

I don't think it will happen, but I didn't think the club would bring Mackay back in before some time in the 2nds ... not twice in two years anyway !!

Would love one change. My preference would be Beech into the 22, Mackay out.

I agree it should be, but you know that this has been a line that has been played over and over again at our club. Experienced bodies seem to get a lot of weight (no pun intended) at our selection table.

I don't think it will happen, but I didn't think the club would bring Mackay back in before some time in the 2nds ... not twice in two years anyway !!

Would love one change. My preference would be Beech into the 22, Mackay out.
Give them some credit where it's due. We're now 10 rounds into the season and we haven't seen Thommo's name on the team sheets once. Not once. Not even on the extended interchange bench or emergency list. We've seen Menzel and Hampton make their club debuts, we've seen Greenwood and Gallucci make their AFL debuts, we've seen Poholke & Beech named on the emergency list at least once each. We haven't seen any sign at all that Thommo is a part of their thinking for 2017.

The only time when Thommo's name is mentioned by the coaching staff is when they're discussing the SANFL games, or when they're asked point blank about his status by the media reporters.

As for Mackay, I wasn't the least bit surprised at his selection against Freo. Taking him as the traveling emergency showed that he was still very much a part of their thinking. It was just a question of what they were doing with Gallucci, and there was always a strong chance that he was just being given a "taster" against Brisbane.

I'd highly doubt it. From all reports, Wyle Buzza is ahead of Black in the VFL at the moment, but he would be doubtful to make his debut at this stage.

I doubt we'll make many changes. Parsons is probably the twenty-second player picked and will probably make way for Lonergan's return.

Thanks for your thoughts. Gives me no comfort at all however given Parsons is also in my fantasy team. His 27 points covered Riewoldt's donut. Ouch.

Give them some credit where it's due. We're now 10 rounds into the season and we haven't seen Thommo's name on the team sheets once. Not once. Not even on the extended interchange bench or emergency list. We've seen Menzel and Hampton make their club debuts, we've seen Greenwood and Gallucci make their AFL debuts, we've seen Poholke & Beech named on the emergency list at least once each. We haven't seen any sign at all that Thommo is a part of their thinking for 2017.

The only time when Thommo's name is mentioned by the coaching staff is when they're discussing the SANFL games, or when they're asked point blank about his status by the media reporters.

As for Mackay, I wasn't the least bit surprised at his selection against Freo. Taking him as the traveling emergency showed that he was still very much a part of their thinking. It was just a question of what they were doing with Gallucci, and there was always a strong chance that he was just being given a "taster" against Brisbane.
Vader you know I give our selectors more credit than most ... but that Mackay re-selection was not well handled. If they wanted to give Galluci a look, then list Mackay as "managed". If they wanted to send a message to the SANFL players that there was a spot up for grabs - reward the players that put up their hand strongly. If they didn't know what they were doing, then god help us.

As far as Thommo goes, I hope you are right. I hope that the old scars around selection of favourite sons remain just that and never get re-opened. Crows vs Hawks looks like the farewell game most likely to me for Thommo, and I fully expect us to hand him one last game.

Mackay wasn't in for Galluci, he was in for Hampton.

Galluci is, on paper, a completely different type of player to Mackay and Hampton, and I don't think he was even considered for that role because they don't see him in it, now or in the future.

Galluci was out for Jenkins and a structural change, because just Walker and Otten wasn't working, and he was the most expendable small.

Mackay being in was handled badly because they cannot admit to the public halfway through a season that they see no future for Gore and Wigg, and that with Seedsman, Hampton, and Knight all inured/returning our depth is rice paper thin right now.

Mackay being in was handled badly because they cannot admit to the public halfway through a season that they see no future for Gore and Wigg, and that with Seedsman, Hampton, and Knight all inured/returning our depth is rice paper thin right now.
Fair bit of truth to this. :thumbsu:

Galluci is, on paper, a completely different type of player to Mackay and Hampton, and I don't think he was even considered for that role because they don't see him in it, now or in the future.

Galluci was out for Jenkins and a structural change, because just Walker and Otten wasn't working, and he was the most expendable small.

How is he a different player?

I think you're right, not to mention faster, finds better space, more upside.

Has better vision, more clean, more skilled, runs laterally etc.

Should be nowhere near our wing to be honest.

No this isn't right at all.

Against Brisbane, Hampton played as an inside mid. Greenwood played as a forward.

Against Freo, Jenkins replaced Greenwood in the forward line, Greenwood replaced Hampton in the midfield.

Mackay replaced Gallucci.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has better vision, more clean, more skilled, runs laterally etc.

Should be nowhere near our wing to be honest.

Agreed, I think he belongs in the SANFL with Wigg.

Thommo on the other hand? needs to get back into the side ASAP.

No this isn't right at all.

Against Brisbane, Hampton played as an inside mid. Greenwood played as a forward.

Against Freo, Jenkins replaced Greenwood in the forward line, Greenwood replaced Hampton in the midfield.

Mackay replaced Gallucci.

No, you're wrong. Mackay replaced Hampton like for like, spot for spot; Jenkins went into the forward line, and Greenwood moved up to replace Galluci in the middle and on the bench.

Greenwood got singled out with some very good praise from Pyke in the after-game press conference, so I'd be surprised if he was dropped this week.

Edit: Dropped, not drilled. Damn autocorrect!

I hope you're right with this, Greenwood fills an obvious need within our midfield, especially given Hamptons abscence, he's proven he can produce effectively week in week out at SANFL level, now needs the opportunity to adapt his game and hopefully flourish. It's especially important as Greenwood success could determine the urgency with which we need to target another A-Grade mid come the end of the year. We won't have any idea unless he's played 10+ games.

Mackay and Hampton are, and I stress this is on paper, pacy linebreaking outside runners who can also contribute inside.

Galluci is much more like Douglas, a regulation inside-out mid

Didn't we recruit Galluci for his speed?

Comprehensive victory, but let's not delude ourselves. Freo did not turn up at all.

Next week in Geelong will be a different proposition entirely.

For that reason I want us to take our best team. None of this "can't change a winning team" gonads

Out: Mackay, Kelly

In: Beech, Cheney

Beech forward, Charlie to the wing

Dmac is out of his depth
kelly is playing his role well, why drop him?

On SM-G930F using BigFooty.com mobile app

No, you're wrong. Mackay replaced Hampton like for like, spot for spot; Jenkins went into the forward line, and Greenwood moved up to replace Galluci in the middle and on the bench.

I didn't see Mackay do a single shred of inside work or stoppage tackling, which is what Hampton did

Remove this Banner Ad

Back