Autopsy Round 12 - Sydney Swans v GWS Giants, Thursday 13 August 2020 @ 8.10 pm, Optus Stadium Perth

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon you'll regret signing Cameron for another two years, you've had by far the best list ever assembled with nothing but an embarrasing GF to show for it and looking a sh it show this year.

What could Clarko do with your list? That's the question I'd be asking

Reckon you'll regret signing Cameron for another two years, you've had by far the best list ever assembled with nothing but an embarrasing GF to show for it and looking a sh it show this year.

What could Clarko do with your list? That's the question I'd be asking
Can I ask what would go through your head to jump on an opposition board and post this? Were you having a total mare? That;s the question I'd be asking

Thoughts from today

*Never a better example of a well-drilled well-coached team with effort beating a collective group of talent which exhibits little effort and has no plan.

*Sauce Jacobs looks like an absolute dinosaur out there. He is slow, unathletic, cumbersome and off the pace. Pay him out and cut him.

*Jeremy Finlayson for all his talent is a downhill skier. His body language is appalling and his lack of effort when he gets his head down is unacceptable. Let him go at seasons end, a highlights reel won’t take you to the promised land.

*For probably the first time in my life I was disappointed with Lachie Whitfield. He looked casual before the bounce, played without any flair or purpose and looked like he didn’t give a s**t. When your best player does that the rest follow. He has credits in the bank but really needs to be much better.

*At what point do we look at our team that every respected analyst says has no structure, brand, system and admit we probably have the wrong bloke at the wheel? Do we wait until we no longer have the talent to win? Perhaps that is already the case.

*Having supported this team from the beginning I have seen some horrific and humiliating losses, but you know what, the team generally had a crack. Tonight was a disgusting, insipid, white flag give up.

They better start learning to care or we won’t either.

*For probably the first time in my life I was disappointed with Lachie Whitfield. He looked casual before the bounce, played without any flair or purpose and looked like he didn’t give a sh*t. When your best player does that the rest follow. He has credits in the bank but really needs to be much better.
It's funny I know you can't tell everything from training grabs but in the videos they post he looks like he's forever laconically fart arsing his way around cracking gags/playing the joker the entire time.

He's kilometres off his AA form but hey he's Cogs' mate and in the leadership group so he's sweet.

Hey guys,

Not here to rub salt in the wounds, but there is something I've been wanting to ask this board for a while - has your offering of long-term contracts on big money to younger players (Kelly, Cogs, Whitfield etc) resulted in guys who just don't have the same drive they might have had before said contracts?

I've seen it happen with players at my own club in the past (Motlop & Stanley) and definitely at clubs like the Gold Coast, Collingwood with Grundy tapering off, St Kilda with Brad hill etc.

Is it worse for you guys because so many of these players are being so highly paid, which then also affects club culture too? From what I understand, over half of your cap is being paid to Whitfield, Cameron, Kelly, Cogs, Taranto, Hopper, Greene, Ward and Davis. Is this affecting club culture, and is that what we're seeing out on the field, or am I completely off the mark here?

Appreciate any insight anyone might be able to provide

*Sauce Jacobs looks like an absolute dinosaur out there. He is slow, unathletic, cumbersome and off the pace. Pay him out and cut him.
I was hoping Jacobs would make a good fist of it at your club because he seems like a ripping bloke. Unfortunately it sounds like he picked up where he left off for Adelaide. It's a shame because he was a very good player at his best. He should have had two all Australian jumpers.

Finlayson is our 3rd fwd and is pinch hitting in the ruck and is giving us far more than others who regularly go missing when we need them. If we are dropping a fwd on form Cameron has to be in the cross hairs before him.

Finlayson is our 3rd fwd and is pinch hitting in the ruck and is giving us far more than others who regularly go missing when we need them. If we are dropping a fwd on form Cameron has to be in the cross hairs before him.

Cameron is still crashing packs though, we just have no one crumbing to get anything from it.

Finlayson's efforts in losses when he's not in a ruck can be abysmal, and it was last night. However I 100% agree on the latter.

Cameron is still crashing packs though, we just have no one crumbing to get anything from it.

I'd argue he isn't though. He gets into a wrestle, at which point it's beyond simple for the loose man in defence to drift over and mark in front. It's not smart play. He should maintain his space and lead, even if it's back towards goal like he always used to, or get a free run at the drop of the ball - which would at least crash the pack properly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd argue he isn't though. He gets into a wrestle, at which point it's beyond simple for the loose man in defence to drift over and mark in front. It's not smart play. He should maintain his space and lead, even if it's back towards goal like he always used to, or get a free run at the drop of the ball - which would at least crash the pack properly.

We gave away a lot of uncontested marks in our fwds 50 last night. Just seemed like everyone one of our players were grouped together while the swans defenders were spread out covering the area

I must have missed that last night - and in the weeks prior for that matter.

Might have or I’m seeing something that ain’t there.

I must have missed that last night - and in the weeks prior for that matter.
Agreed. I don’t think he has been crashing packs this year (or for his entire career for that matter) crashing packs/pack marks aren’t his go.

Our forward line functioned best 3 or 4 years ago when we had
  • Lobb - deep forward / down the line / contested mark/ focal point / brings small forwards into game
  • Cameron - CHF working you and down the ground utilising the space created by Lobb playing deep
  • HH - third tall getting a good matchup most weeks which he can exploit with his agility/ marking

Although I i didn’t really rate Lobb at the time (and still don’t) structurally his role was really important. Flynn or Briggs could potentially hell us getting back to this structure. Brings the smalls into the game far more cause they know where the drop of the ball is and know that the ball will come to ground. All the better sides have this get out.
    Richmond - Lynch (Riewoldt in 17) WCE - Kennedy Lions -Big O Port - Dixon cats - Hawkin
    Cameron is CHF (best in the comp) it comes back to Leon Cameron picking the best 22 players and trying to fit them into a team rather than picking the best team within a sustainable structure

Remove this Banner Ad

Back