Game Day Round 12 vs. Western Bulldogs, Marvel, 7:40pm Friday 31/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From adversity comes opportunity and for Reef, Freddy and AJ there has never been a better time to be a tall forward on the fringe at Collingwood.

Out: Mihocek
In: Howe (if fit)

Out: Cox
In: Kreuger (hopefully still fit LOL)

Out: Richards
In: McInnes (if fit)

Out: Allan
In: Bytel, Macrae or Markov

I'm replacing a small forward in Richards with McInnes who offers a balance between added height and a ground level game.

He last played on the 18th so if he's free of concussion symptoms he's allowed to return on the 31st.

With Hill, McCreery, Schultz, Sullivan etc I feel we can afford to go one player taller especially with mobile quasi talls like a Howe and McInnes.

Parker showed enough that I'd like a closer look this week. Whether we go for the added experience in Markov instead is a wait and see.

Great that Allan got himself a taste but he's not done cooking IMO.

My preference is for Frampton to be retained in defence but a lot will depend you assume on the availability of Howe and whether we decide to play him forward or back.

Johnson and another of those listed in the In's under Allan to be considered depending on the availability of Howe and McInnes.

Surely we play both AJ and Krueger this week?
What a wonderful opportunity it presents both players for some continued matches in the first team to really stake a claim.
its a possibly with both checkers and cox out.
Unless they play Howe forward. But if Howe plays back, not sure there is room for Dean?

Tough news with that injury list. This is what I can make out of the possible side next week. The key forwards stocks are a shambles at the moment, but I would go with Frampton forward, who can pinch hit in the ruck. Howe returns to take his position in the D50. It could be AJ or Kreuger there as the secondary tall forward. I would opt for Kreuger.

IN: J.Howe, N.Kreuger, J.Bytel, O.Markov
OUT: B.Mihocek (injured), M.Cox (injured), J.Richards (injured), W.Parker (omitted)

B: B.Maynard - C.Dean - J.Howe
HB: J.Noble - D.Moore - I.Quaynor
C: S.Sidebottom - S.Pendlebury - J.Daicos
HF: H.Harrison - N.Kreuger - P.Lipinski
F: B.Hill - B.Frampton - L.Schulz
R: D.Cameron - J.Crisp - N.Daicos
I: O.Markov - L.Sullivan - B.McCreery - J.Bytel
S: E.Allan

You feel this could really be Kreuger's last chance at AFL level for us over these next few weeks. I really hope he can stay fit and show us something because there is a spot here in this side moving forward to play as that forward/ruck type given Cox's long-term injury.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I tend to think the current state of our injury is getting a little over blown despite the volume. We are still putting out a strong side on the park (with the exception of our tall forwards).

some may disagree but I only really see DeGoey, Elliott, Mihocek and McStay as the critical, must start players for us heading into finals that will not be available this weekend. DeGoey, Elliott and Mihocek will all be back for us around the bye period with McStay hopefully available some stage a few weeks later.

I view WHE, Cox and Mitchell as the other best 23 players when fully fit currently missing, although they are perhaps more replaceable now given the performances of players like Harrison, who is quickly becoming a must start player for us moving forward.

If we can make it through the next 3 weeks with 2 wins heading into the bye, we will likely be in the top 4, with our injured stars returning, setting us up in a strong position to defend our premiership.

Belongs here this week...
New start words for Cwood only Wordle:
hammy, groin, knees, elbow, ankle, stiff, hands, rehab, blood & lymph (= vascular x 2), wrist, thigh

Umpire only Wordle (ie for decision x 1 last week) ... inept, wrong, faark, blame, brain

Last edited:
I would do this;

B Q FRAMPTON Bruz
HB JFN Moore Sidebottom
C Jaicos Pendles Lipinski
HF McCreery FREDDY Harrison
F Schulz HOWE Bobby
Foll Cameron Naicos Crisp
I/C Dean Bytel McCrae Johnno
Emerg Spidey
(If McInness is fit, Johnno gets the flick).

Tough news with that injury list. This is what I can make out of the possible side next week. The key forwards stocks are a shambles at the moment, but I would go with Frampton forward, who can pinch hit in the ruck. Howe returns to take his position in the D50. It could be AJ or Kreuger there as the secondary tall forward. I would opt for Kreuger.

IN: J.Howe, N.Kreuger, J.Bytel, O.Markov
OUT: B.Mihocek (injured), M.Cox (injured), J.Richards (injured), W.Parker (omitted)

B: B.Maynard - C.Dean - J.Howe
HB: J.Noble - D.Moore - I.Quaynor
C: S.Sidebottom - S.Pendlebury - J.Daicos
HF: H.Harrison - N.Kreuger - P.Lipinski
F: B.Hill - B.Frampton - L.Schulz
R: D.Cameron - J.Crisp - N.Daicos
I: O.Markov - L.Sullivan - B.McCreery - J.Bytel
S: E.Allan

You feel this could really be Kreuger's last chance at AFL level for us over these next few weeks. I really hope he can stay fit and show us something because there is a spot here in this side moving forward to play as that forward/ruck type given Cox's long-term injury
I think McInnes will play. The wording of the afl.com article was clearer than the one on the club site:

After missing the past two games due to an adductor strain, Jeremy Howe could return this weekend to provide another option in attack – where he started in the Mother's Day game against West Coast – or down back.

Young key forward Reef McInnes is on track to pass concussion protocols in time to face the Bulldogs after missing the trip to Western Australia, while Jack Bytel will also be available if he trains fully on Wednesday.

As others have said, we need to win two of the next three ahead of the bye. Ideally one of those two wins is against the Dees which is erffectively an eight point game .

We will still be putting a strong side out on the park. The revolving door forward line continues.

I’d keep selection simple, assuming McInnes is unavailable.

In Bytel for richards
In Kreuger for cox
In Howe for mihocek

Swap Richards and Allan on the sub bench.

If reef is available then he plays, Bytel is on the bench and Allan out

Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I tend to think the current state of our injury is getting a little over blown despite the volume. We are still putting out a strong side on the park
That says more about our depth/ability to cope than the state of our injury list.
In years gone by if we lost one or two key players we struggled immensely.

We must somehow win the next three games and regroup after the bye. We’ll get some cattle back, fear less.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we win two of the next three we hit top four and can look forward to games against North, Richmond, Hawthorn and get to the final three games against top 8 sides firmly entrenched in the top 4 and with a full list. I can't see anyone backing against us then. We will also have the JFN narrative going in to the GF - so I say we make it.

What is the go with the AFL, and the people working there??? It makes me laugh how we play a home game against the Bulldogs on their "home ground".
The morons doing the draw, l mean just that scenario obviously doesn't feel illogical to them, and the stupidity of it doesn't resonate.
So we play a home game against a team that have played 117 games at Marvel over the last 10 years to our 31, but yet it's our home game. Why even call this a home game!!!

Perhaps an unpopular opinion but I tend to think the current state of our injury is getting a little over blown despite the volume. We are still putting out a strong side on the park (with the exception of our tall forwards).

some may disagree but I only really see DeGoey, Elliott, Mihocek and McStay as the critical, must start players for us heading into finals that will not be available this weekend. DeGoey, Elliott and Mihocek will all be back for us around the bye period with McStay hopefully available some stage a few weeks later.

I view WHE, Cox and Mitchell as the other best 23 players when fully fit currently missing, although they are perhaps more replaceable now given the performances of players like Harrison, who is quickly becoming a must start player for us moving forward.

If we can make it through the next 3 weeks with 2 wins heading into the bye, we will likely be in the top 4, with our injured stars returning, setting us up in a strong position to defend our premiership.
Agree. Most have been criticising Cox all year. Richards was a shock, but he's only played 3 games..Checkers is the biggest loss, imo. Thankfully Pendles is good to go.

When you go through our list, it's still strong.

I think the in game injuries are hurting more - Cox goes down and Mihocek plays more minutes than intended, Mihocek does a hammy and Defoey plays more minutes than expected. Continuously being men down on the bench is leading to our fit players doing more than ideal and at greater risk of injury.

I think the in game injuries are hurting more - Cox goes down and Mihocek plays more minutes than intended, Mihocek does a hammy and Defoey plays more minutes than expected.
When every minute is a danger, it’s Time for one man…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back