Preview Round 14 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lions kicked at 55% accuracy last year and currently going at 54.8% accuracy.

Due to the fact 1) They don't practice regularly and 2) Their "forwards" coach is a ruckman who has no (*$%^& idea on how a forward should move/run/lead/position themselves/contest/kick/set up for gosl and who himself kicked a mighty 19 career goals at 53%.

Goalkicking coach need to be hired. Suggestion:
Daniel Bradshaw (500+ goals at 67.3%)
Roger Merrett and Browny were also good kicks but probably not willing to relocate.

Not a bad time to get the Giants (injury plagued).... Stef should be able to dominate the middle. It's all about marks inside 50 and converting.

Not sure if serious.....

Last edited:

Surprisngly for mine, Gerard Wheatley tipped the Lions to knock off the Giants on AFL360 tonight.

Sounded like an old Louie Richards kiss of death to me.

They need someone in bio mechanics or a real forward to teach them how to kick.

Jed Adcock good kick but for the love of god was not a forward.

No wonder they look lost and clueless at times. So frustrating to watch as a member.hm

I may have kicked career 330.115 in the bush but at least i knew how to kick and use the same action and use TRC Timing Rhythm Co-ordinastion. Very few of today's players have all 3.

The most common advice I see from renowned goal kickers is run straight at your target, pretty simple, you don't need a specialized set shot coach for that.

It's surprising the number of times you watch set shots and the ball goes straight in the direction the player runs.

No wonder they look lost and clueless at times. So frustrating to watch as a member.hm

I may have kicked career 330.115 in the bush but at least i knew how to kick and use the same action and use TRC Timing Rhythm Co-ordinastion. Very few of today's players have all 3.
Yeah, what would a 213 game veteran back man know about forwards.

Here’s a list of coaching panels for last season. You’ll notice very few forward coaches were gun forwards.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-11/your-clubs-coaching-structures-2017

Now if the general consensus amongst the people that run the 18 clubs that it doesn’t matter if you were a gun AFL forward to be a forwards coach then perhaps it doesn’t matter.

Here’s a list of coaching panels for last season. You’ll notice very few forward coaches were gun forwards.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-03-11/your-clubs-coaching-structures-2017

Now if the general consensus amongst the people that run the 18 clubs that it doesn’t matter if you were a gun AFL forward to be a forwards coach then perhaps it doesn’t matter.
Generally good forwards are lateral thinkers, they play on instinct, they are extroverts and do things un-planned its kinda like the opposite to the skills a coach needs. Backman are more accountable, introverts, play to a plan, keep to the patterns and stick to their man and hate to be beaten. By psychological traits backs and mid fielder more easily migrate into coaching where plans and systems are needed throughout train and playing schedules each week. Forwards are often said to have the X factor which cant be trained or learned. there are always exceptions Stevie Jonson was a x factor instinctive forward and he has gone to coach at Sydney this year but no reports how he is going. I agree a good kicking coach didn't have to be a forward they just have to know the process and get players head in the right place to follow the simple process. There is an old base ball movie with Kevin Costner - for The Love the Game. In it he is an ageing baseball pitcher and each time he gets on the mound to pitch he has his routine and tells himself to "Clear the Mechanism" which me block out everything else and just throw the ball. It's what I think players need to do, learn the basics and do them the same every time, unaffected by the situation in the game.

Mate, I played a lot of country footy, and kicked a fair share of goals myself - but I would have no clue about actual totals. I may have kicked 576.14, but I doubt it.

Mate, I played a lot of country footy, and kicked a fair share of goals myself - but I would have no clue about actual totals. I may have kicked 576.14, but I doubt it.

Don't most forwards in country footy sit inside the forward 50 and barely work up a sweat as well? Makes it easier to kick straight when you don't have to run 15km all over the ground.

Getting in early before any melts but I hope if McStay is dropped it's not due to form and because of some niggle or something. His goalkicking has been detrimental and it's undeniably a flaw that needs to be fixed but is it really gonna be better to address it in the reserves? Yeah, he'll get more opportunities to kick for goal but I don't think it's at all technique that is the issue. It's all mental.
Meanwhile we really don't have someone to slot in to replace what he has been offering. He's been working hard, creating/winning contests in the 50 and up the ground and applying a lot of pressure. If it weren't for that abhorrent goal kicking we'd be singing his praises. Very, very frustrating but I don't see a younger replacement that I want games pumped into and I think we're a better team with him in the 22.
I guess the most likely is Walker but tbh I'd much rather stick fat with McStay and reap the benefits if/when he does kick straight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Getting in early before any melts but I hope if McStay is dropped it's not due to form and because of some niggle or something. His goalkicking has been detrimental and it's undeniably a flaw that needs to be fixed but is it really gonna be better to address it in the reserves? Yeah, he'll get more opportunities to kick for goal but I don't think it's at all technique that is the issue. It's all mental.
Meanwhile we really don't have someone to slot in to replace what he has been offering. He's been working hard, creating/winning contests in the 50 and up the ground and applying a lot of pressure. If it weren't for that abhorrent goal kicking we'd be singing his praises. Very, very frustrating but I don't see a younger replacement that I want games pumped into and I think we're a better team with him in the 22.
I guess the most likely is Walker but tbh I'd much rather stick fat with McStay and reap the benefits if/when he does kick straight.
The Big O is dead set gunna have a game better than that Yanks last game. So relax.

The Big O is dead set gunna have a game better than that Yanks last game. So relax.

I know you don't like him, dude, but he's 23 and on the precipice of putting it together. I say stick with him. The tall forward line we've opted to play with when we've had a full strength team includes the both McStay and O. I'm not sure who replaces the role McStay fills. Particularly when O is up forward because as much as I like Stef, he's not a forward. I'll wear whatever choice gets made because I don't know dick compared to the guys coaching this team but it's just one change I really don't want to see happen just yet. Maybe if McStay had a few absolute shockers and Walker was belting down the door in the ressies but I don't think either have happened just yet.

I know you don't like him, dude, but he's 23 and on the precipice of putting it together. I say stick with him. The tall forward line we've opted to play with when we've had a full strength team includes the both McStay and O. I'm not sure who replaces the role McStay fills. Particularly when O is up forward because as much as I like Stef, he's not a forward. I'll wear whatever choice gets made because I don't know dick compared to the guys coaching this team but it's just one change I really don't want to see happen just yet. Maybe if McStay had a few absolute shockers and Walker was belting down the door in the ressies but I don't think either have happened just yet.
Wow a bolt from the blue...I was just suggesting the Big O was going to have a blinder this weekend.....said nought re McStay. however 2 bigs maybe enough against GWS.

Wow a bolt from the blue...I was just suggesting the Big O was going to have a blinder this weekend.....said nought re McStay. however 2 bigs maybe enough against GWS.

I thought Yank somehow meant McStay. Looking at it now I'm guessing that meant Cox. My bad. Though I don't think I was very "bolt"-y and stand by the rest of the stuff I said.

I thought Yank somehow meant McStay. Looking at it now I'm guessing that meant Cox. My bad. Though I don't think I was very "bolt"-y and stand by the rest of the stuff I said.
I am old ......cant remember names hahahaha.....not sure how McStay becomes yank but whatever.

I am old ......cant remember names hahahaha.....not sure how McStay becomes yank but whatever.

No idea, mate. Probably just seeing Mc and thinking golden arches. It was my bad, but you have been somewhat hard on him recently so that might have ushered my mind somewhat.

No idea, mate. Probably just seeing Mc and thinking golden arches. It was my bad, but you have been somewhat hard on him recently so that might have ushered my mind somewhat.
Fair enough.......I must admit he hasnt come on as I would have liked....but the last few games have been a marked improvement in my eyes. I remember seeing him at the MCG a few years ago when we beat Melbourne and he took a very strong mark in the goal square and we got up and won. I thought we have a gooden here but recent games have re-lit my enthusiasm although guarded. I am of the school of kicking can be improved so no hassels there.

I'm happy Matheison has been given another go, Josh Walker may only have one week to show his wares before McStay comes back in.

Keays a bit stiff, I thought he may have been given another week or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back