Preview Round 14 vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our stoppage strategy was awful last time we played GWS with Lobb out. We won hitouts 47-4 but lost the clearances by 7.

Believe it or not a lot of GWS people don't rate Lobb as a ruckman (can take a mark forward though). Simpson may be a key in for them in the centre square but Martin will thrash him around the ground.

Akermanis is OK with ball in hand but doesn't apply enough defensive pressure. Not an A grader for mine.
Yep we need to do something about our midfield. Nigel Lappin is a "receiver" who wont get his own ball. Just as well we have up and comers like Sam Sheldon on our list. He should be playing Seniors.

If fit Eagles comes in.

Cameron, Patton and Himmelberg are in some decent form.

One out of three isn't bad. :D

Cameron is in good form.

Patton was putrid when rotating through the ruck and even got dropped to the reserves, but looked ok on his return.

Himmelberg is also running a terrible streak of form and most supporters wouldn't mind him dropped if there was any other option.

Our stoppage strategy was awful last time we played GWS with Lobb out. We won hitouts 47-4 but lost the clearances by 7.
That's not poor strategy...that's just blokes losing their matchup and getting beaten to the ball

It feel sooooo wrong to get a little buzz from this information. Turns out my sportsmanship attitude of always wanting to face the best and see what we make of it hasn't survived being a lions fan.

I find it hard to get any buzz at all reading about a player who has a fractured spine.

Weird how this could be considered "better" than a punctured lung.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully lots of goal kicking practice has gone on and we come in well rested up as well.

Don't hold your breath......and don't forget it was said a few weeks ago rather proudly, that the team practiced for 20 mins. The team, 20mins. The whole team, 20mins.

Would love to know how much Lynchy, Bradshaw, Browny, Aker, etc practiced in their day. Dunstall, Lockett and the others of that era only practiced kicking goals.

..imo any of our forward half likely to kick goals should be doing more training of that than anything else.

Last edited:
I find it hard to get any buzz at all reading about a player who has a fractured spine.

Weird how this could be considered "better" than a punctured lung.

Yeah, I get that my post looks bad so shouldn't have posted. It wasn't actually about the injured player but about how I dread games where we are meeting full strength in form teams. I most certainly don't wish for any player to be injured in any way but it happens. Found this is an AFL document : During the 2015 AFL season, there was an average of 37.7 new injuries per team causing 156.2 home & away and finals games to be missed.The players really put their body on the line.

The fracture is hairline I believe with no displacement so will heal back to full strength as long as its rested appropriately. My understanding is that once a lung is punctured through trauma it can heal with scar tissue making it more susceptible to re injury. If its a bad tear from trauma it can require surgery with the possibility of tubes being inserted into and left in the lung to help manage the recovery, which can take months.

Not sure how we'll go after the break. Hopefully, they will kick straight this week.

Well, over the past four years we've won two off the bye while GWS have only won one. And relative to us they've certainly been getting playing better over the period. Plus their only win was against the eventual wooden spooner*. So we're pretty much the form team here.

* us, but we actually also won off our bye that year

Could Beams be a chance of missing with his wife yet to give birth?

If McStay is out then Walker could replace him. He could also be an option to play down back on Patton or Himmelberg.

Lions kicked at 55% accuracy last year and currently going at 54.8% accuracy.

Due to the fact 1) They don't practice regularly and 2) Their "forwards" coach is a ruckman who has no (*$%^& idea on how a forward should move/run/lead/position themselves/contest/kick/set up for gosl and who himself kicked a mighty 19 career goals at 53%.

Goalkicking coach need to be hired. Suggestion:
Daniel Bradshaw (500+ goals at 67.3%)
Roger Merrett and Browny were also good kicks but probably not willing to relocate.

Not a bad time to get the Giants (injury plagued).... Stef should be able to dominate the middle. It's all about marks inside 50 and converting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back