Preview Round 16 - Western Bulldogs v Hawthorn - Changes and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

When did he say this, just out of interest?

Good to see people like MM give Murphy some credit, in 09 he was treated very poorly.
I heard this comment also. He always thought Murphy did a very good job against Collingwood and rates him as hawthorns best pure defensive stopper. Mind you listening to MM this year through hes commentary has left me very bewildered at times but hey hes in the top 5 coaches of the modern era so who are we to disagree.

I heard this comment also. He always thought Murphy did a very good job against Collingwood and rates him as hawthorns best pure defensive stopper. Mind you listening to MM this year through hes commentary has left me very bewildered at times but hey hes in the top 5 coaches of the modern era so who are we to disagree.

Sometimes you get the feeling that Malthouse just goes against the tide for the sake of being different. Am I correct that he was criticizing Buddy early in the year?? (not sure though).

Was he commentating today's match and said the comment?

Sometimes you get the feeling that Malthouse just goes against the tide for the sake of being different. Am I correct that he was criticizing Buddy early in the year?? (not sure though).
This actually made me quite angry and yes your right. This is a bloke who is number 1 for goals and listen to this, Top 10 in the AFL for Contested marks (yes the thing which ppl critiscise) tackles inside 50 and goal assists. This was all whilst hes former CHF wasnt getting a kick and holding he's club to ransom, go figure.

I agree though he's ego is clearly massive and hes certainly not alone there but he appears ill at ease when no attention is directed hes way and therefore feels the need to make outlandish comments to be heard.

You would think Hill would be the first out. Looks exciting but very raw and will need some refinement. Cheney will go because Murphy performed better than him and has experience. Need one more out and Murph keeps his spot to cover for Goo. Sav and Smith would be next in line to be dropped. Youngy has really stepped it up. Tough call for whoever is left out.

What do you guys think of easing Hodge back by playing him up forward for a few weeks. That way he can build match fitness up and rather then having a heavy work load by playing down back or in the midfield when he will be rusty. We know he can play up forward with good effect, thoughts?

I don't know about today, i heard him make the comment one day when the commentry team was going through hawthorns "SHOCKING" backline one day.

Oh ok cheers!

Yeah our backline constantly gets talking about, Roosy every Monday Night on "On the Couch" goes on about "yeah they are playing well but their backline is still very suspect".

Every week!

Points Against

Sydney 982
WCE 1072
Hawthorn 1077

We are ranked #3 for points against and just behind WC. Our defense isn't getting the credit it deserves by some people, but hey our defense is getting by the week! As for Schoenmakers form, big tick! Kept his opponent Patton goalless, his decision making is getting better as well. I'm really happy with our settled back 6 right now.:thumbsu::)

I have heard Malthouse state on several occasions that in his opinion our team's 2 weaknesses are our backline and our spread. His rating Murphy in our best 18 is probably on the basis that he thinks most of our backs struggle one on one whereas Murphy is a stopper and that we are slow on the spread with players like Smith and Savage not taking the next step this year and providing us with the necessary run. This then means that according to Mick, Murphy is in the starting line up. You can make of it what you like but there is logic to his thinking. The trick with Mick is to figure out where he's coming from. I used to enjoy his post match interviews when his was coaching WC because you just never knew what he was going to say or where he was coming from.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dont agree with the calls to rest buddy. he got a corky today, his kicking and running was not effected by his hamstring injury from last week. i like what roughy said after the game, and it goes with my thinking...we had a bye two weeks ago, if players are fit, they play. i think clarko may have also brought up the point of last round last year when he rested 7 players in final round and he believes it affected us in first final. with that lesson in mind, he wont be resting players for the sake of it.

IMO in hodge, silk, sewell out murphy, cheney, hill
Smith has struggled skills wise the last few weeks, but Hill playing cats/pies/bombers would be a mistake imo. Smith has to play those teams.

If we win by 162 again, then we would have a winning streak of 6 games with average margin exactly 100. Fingers crossed.

We are going to belt the living ship out of the dishlickers. It will be a brutal monstering. They are utter rubbish.

If we don't win by 120+, I consider it a loss

We are going to belt the living ship out of the dishlickers. It will be a brutal monstering. They are utter rubbish.

Winning consecutive matches by 100 points is rare.

I think we'll win comfortably, but really we just need to keep winning to stay in contention for the top 4, so I won't consider a 3-5 goal win a loss.

Let's not get carried away though. The Dogs have plenty of talent in their side and although they're playing poorly atm, they are capable of playing good football and they should be respected. In saying that, I can't see them kicking a winning score against us. Their avenue to goal all year has been poor. They are ok coming out of defence, they compete reasonably well in the middle, but their forward line seriously lets them down.

We should regain Sewell and Burgoyne. Hopefully our captain's back too.

Winning consecutive matches by 100 points is rare.

I think we'll win comfortably, but really we just need to keep winning to stay in contention for the top 4, so I won't consider a 3-5 goal win a loss.

Let's not get carried away though. The Dogs have plenty of talent in their side and although they're playing poorly atm, they are capable of playing good football and they should be respected. In saying that, I can't see them kicking a winning score against us. Their avenue to goal all year has been poor. They are ok coming out of defence, they compete reasonably well in the middle, but their forward line seriously lets them down.

We should regain Sewell and Burgoyne. Hopefully our captain's back too.
But if anyone can do this Hawthorn can. :)

How many times have the dogs been beaten by 120+ this year?

10 goal win would be very good in my books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back