Autopsy Round 17, 2021: Hawks lose to Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Replace our bottom six players from today with Hardwick, Wingard, Day, Impey. Sicily and next year's pick 2 and these sort of results won't happen.
If there are no changes to the midfield there will still be similar results

I'm sorry but if our midfield is too improve, Mitchell has to go. All our play runs through him because he always demands the ball, but in terrible positions and distributes poorly a chunk of the time.

Just compare our loss with Mitch and Bombers loss with Parish to Geelong, in raw stats.

Both had similar disposals (Mitchell 39 to Parish 43) but metres gained is 400 to 900. For the first 14 disposals of Mitchell, he had 50 metres gained. It's just not who we want to run out forays through, and is stunting others who could be developing in the guts like Worps, who keeps getting pushed into the forward line.

It's time to jettison this midfield. It has been tested and found wanting. Time to mix it up as we literally have nothing to lose at this point.

Loved Bramble's game - just seems so composed for a player of so few games, always looks to hit up a clean pass and has a bullet, low kick on him. He is building very nicely.

CJ was keeping us alive until subbed. Moore had a great first half but faded unfortunately. Worps did some nice things but is getting pushed into the forward line too much. Brockman is class. Kosi and Jeka notch 2 each which will continue to build their confidence.

We need to make the midfield accountable and time to make some actual big plays i.e. drop 2 of JOM, Mitch, Shiels or Worps. Don't care, just make some changes.

Bring Reeves in too for Cegs. The amount of times I counted Cegs tapping it straight to a Freo mid did my head in. I honestly believe Cegs to Serong was the best Freo link up play for the game.

Mitchell isn't the issue, only mid who did something today.

Worps isn't seeing as much of the ball as he's being shunted into the forward line a lot. Just something about the dynamic with Mitchell and Worps doesn't work.
It's not Titch and Worpel, it's O'Meara, both Mitchell and Worpel played well v the Saints and around that time when Jaeger got injured.

Clearly his best year was when Titch sat out. Can’t remember them playing well together in the same side. Shades of watching Box Hill in the 2nd half with CJ and Scrimshaw injured and already missing 6 of our better players plus Morrison.
We will remain a battling team until the likes of Howe, Nash, Ceglar, Greaves, Phillips and Shiels get replaced.
Howe is fine, Greaves is fine, Phillips i agree need to see Downie etc, Shiels needs to go aswell.

We don't have many good players and most of them were injured. Everything will be ok. We must have been the most inexperienced team we have played since 2004/05?

The defense that was talked up so much a couple of weeks ago was missing Hardwick, Day, Scrimshaw, CJ didn't play out the match and still missing Impey and Sicily. It gets a bit tougher.

Bramble looks great. Clean, composed, skillful. Plays like an old head and only 4 games in. I thought Jeka and Brockman looked pretty good. Brockman looked pretty slick when he got around it. Jeka looks like a footy player. DGB will win rising star next year.

Mitchell isn't the issue, only mid who did something today.

He’s a two edged sword. When he’s up and about he’s a force of nature In The guts. But too often he demands and secures the footy in a bad position and then hoists it long with a 9 iron. Not creative enough. Doesn’t lower his eyes enough.

We were smashed in the middle today, watching the centre bounced was so predictable. Like it has been all year. FMD clarko do something about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a grim game plan.
I know some on here just want to see the ball pumped long every time, up the side line, contest etc so that it doesn't get turned over in short...but jeez that would be a depressing way to play as an athlete.
I'd rather see us play quick, shorter passes with overlapping run, risk the long diagonal pass and make the teammate run on to the ball and keep the oppo guessing where we were heading. Never any space for leading or our forwards because the other team knows exactly where we will settle for going to.

You've got to have your young developing players practice over and over again to play adventurous high skill footy, so that when the entire team can actually execute - the game style is ingrained.
Practicing safe and lacklustre footy will mean when the coaches think were finally good enough to suddenly start playing with more abandon, the players will have lost 30% of their career time NOT gaining the skills to execute it.

Today made the eyes bleed.

I’m one that thinks we should go up the line very time. We can’t execute a switch of play or take a high risk diagonal with any reliability. The team is getting smoked and it’s doing the new guys no good to get their a$$e$ handed to them week in and week out.

The players are indecisive, hesitant and continually caught out of position on a turnover. They play with their heads down in grim acceptance of their fate. The backline was getting shelled like Germans in a muddy Verdun trench and are beat up because of it.

Our number one game goal has to be slowing down the speed of the opposition attack. Spread them wide and create stoppages. So do everything we can to keep the ball out there and away from the centre.

Number two, simple and fast attacks up the line which don’t require high skill or difficult decisions to execute. Beat teams with our young speed and overlap run around the boundary line where mistakes are less dangerous. Work harder, if not more skilfully or elegantly.

THEN, when that play is good and consistent start adding in the flare.

Boring, I know, but where are we headed with this game offered up each week? It’s not going to improve. The players are going to continue to play poorly and we’ll all be staring at our navels come the end of the year.

Went into the game with a very inexperienced side: Bramble, Brockman, Jeka, Greaves, DGB, to play alongside a few other youngsters in CJ, Kosi, and Moore. Most of them got a little bit of the footy (Bramble got alot), and that was productive for the club.

But the loss of Scrimshaw and then CJ meant we were less competitive than we might have been. With some of our best players already sitting out, we just fell too far below Freo to make it a game worth watching. It ended up as a bit of an arse kicking.

Bramble fantastic game - will give him so much confidence. Brockman always has great moments, Jeka some nice moments and a couple of goals, and DGB will be better for that experience. Greaves looks challenged at times, but at least he's getting some footy (20 touches today) and giving his all to try and take this chance while he's got it. Cant ask any more of the kid than that. Time will tell how far each of them can go.

Some senior players disappointing today. Wont reel off the names, but a few experienced players really didn't have an impact around stoppages and midfield, where we suffered a lot.

Overall, a good day for the youth of club to get some experience and development, but more evidence of our weaknesses, if they were not glaring already.

We got work to do, but a good draft, a big preseason, and a better run with injuries, and we will improve out of sight.

Go Hawks.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back