Preview Round 18, 2020: St.Kilda v GWS - Gabba, Friday 18th September, 7:50PM AEST *MARSHALL 50TH*

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • Giants

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going with an underdone, broken down Hanners who hasn’t even played a scratch match over a fit Dunstan who’s at least played some scratch matches. Have to assume Luke isn’t part of the plans anymore and it’s probably for the best.

Carlisle in makes me feel a bit better but this midfield matchup is like we’re playing in a different league.

Fingers crossed we either win or fall into finals!
*ing Oath Dunstan isn’t in Rattens plans going forward you got that right

They are the best changes possible in terms of talent and experience but even with those inclusions GWS have us covered for talent and experience, they are virtually full strength, hopefully we can make up for it though with good old fashioned guts and determination.

Well I think the selections were necessary (Carlisle) and are ballsy (Hannerbury). If Hanners breaks down before 3/4 time I’ll be screaming but right now, in cold hard semi soberness, it’s the right move!
this is what we brought hannas over for .... we gotta roll the dice with it cause this is the chance for us to make finals sure we could give him another week and possibly get beaten in the middle and then we will be sitting here asking why we didnt take the risk ...
if hannas does break down in the game then thats just something we will have to manage same thing could happen to anyplayer at any time so we just need to back ourselves and hope that the work we have done is enough to get through .. i like the fact we are being bold here ... this is important to us so lets go all in for it if we fall short at least we know we gave it everything and in a strange season like this i feel fortune favours the brave

Kent needs to come out breathing fire and get in this game. After 2 handballs and 0 kicks last week he is incredibly lucky to be in the side. I know he's not everyones favourite, but Parker provided more than Kent did in that last game when he was in the side. I think he's stiff not to be in if we are going with the three small forwards.

I really like the other changes but it highlights how pointless it was to bring in Hind last week. We absolutely had to bring in Hannebery considering this is basically a final. Carlisle was a no-brainer but again, why not last week?

Get the win and all is forgiven. I'm really nervous as the Giants have a strong side and we are just struggling to win at the moment. We have beaten better sides than them this year though. Let's just get it done Saints!

On a positive vibe note, my 2020 indigenous guernsey arrived in the mail today. Very good omen. It looks incredible.

this is what we brought hannas over for .... we gotta roll the dice with it cause this is the chance for us to make finals sure we could give him another week and possibly get beaten in the middle and then we will be sitting here asking why we didnt take the risk ...
if hannas does break down in the game then thats just something we will have to manage same thing could happen to anyplayer at any time so we just need to back ourselves and hope that the work we have done is enough to get through .. i like the fact we are being bold here ... this is important to us so lets go all in for it if we fall short at least we know we gave it everything and in a strange season like this i feel fortune favours the brave

With the shorter quarters being a man down isn't as much of a disadvantage as it would be with normal length quarters, a number of teams have still won games this year after losing players to injury during the game so the risk isn't as large as it would have been during a normal season.

In the case of Hannebery the potential reward outweighs the risk, if he can play at his best or close to his best, it could be the difference between a win and a loss.

Himmelberg out is interesting. He's a good player when on. His last game was awful stats wise but havent watched enough before that to judge if his previous games were bad as well.

Another "statement"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg out is interesting. He's a good player when on. His last game was awful stats wise but havent watched enough before that to judge if his previous games were bad as well.

Another "statement"?

Himmelberg's been goalless in four of his past six games and kicked only two majors in that time.

I’m not sure if that’s an statement worthy. Riccardi is a direct swap for him, and more potential.

Not sold on Parker. The guys got obvious talent but he just needs to embrace the team ethic in the same way that Long has and stop trying to be a one man highlight reel.

Like him but also not sold - I actually think the last couple of times he played he was trying to do that, and it ruined his decision making, it was like you could see the cogs turning. If you watch him after he’s near the ball its also pretty clear he’s got too much emotion and that gets in his way, could probably benefit from a sports psych - not sure he’ll cut it but I hope he does, I like the guy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Like him but also not sold - I actually think the last couple of times he played he was trying to do that, and it ruined his decision making, it was like you could see the cogs turning. If you watch him after he’s near the ball its also pretty clear he’s got too much emotion and that gets in his way, could probably benefit from a sports psych - not sure he’ll cut it but I hope he does, I like the guy.

It's a bad habit small forwards can easily fall into - trying to do too much or trying do to the spectacular rather than just doing the simple, basic things.

Lonie has been guilty of it in the past as well.

Have always been a Jake fan have said that many times, we are a much better with him playing and hope he is a Saint next year

Have meet him at a fund raiser outside of footy, oh my goodness LOL

I’ll bite Mowman, tell us about what he was like at the fundraiser?

he has one more year on his contract. i also hope he makes it.

This is a crunch game for a number of players who have had ordinary seasons or poor second halfs of the season. We need a bunch of them to stand up when it's needed most. Meaning tomorrow night.

I'm talking the likes of Membrey, Ross, Billings, Butler, King and Hill.

Relying on Steele, Marshall and a handful of others won't cut it. I'm confident if players like Membrey and Billings have their best games for a long while we'll get the job done and this will be a happy place tomorrow night. If too much is left to too few well......

I much prefer option 1.

Parker needs a big pre season and someone who can put an arm around him with a few one on one sessions. He has the tools, but it looks to me as if he got knocked for the way he goes about it, and it has caused him to doubt himself. A psych would help for sure, but a few players to get around him and bring his level back up, would probably do just as well.

Well I think the selections were necessary (Carlisle) and are ballsy (Hannerbury). If Hanners breaks down before 3/4 time I’ll be screaming but right now, in cold hard semi soberness, it’s the right move!
Ballsy, Screaming, cold, hard and semi.....all paint a very incarcerated, clinical yet sensual picture.....yes we are really locking horns in a 'no holes barred' greco roman kind of tussel with giant overtones... especially with the hot and wet climactic conditions.
We sure could do with some divine love for the holy Saints.

Last edited:
Membrey and Billings need to show us what we've been missing the last few weeks. Now or never fellas, come out of your shells and make us believe again.

Max King, mate the years nearly over, you've been a star, just need a last big effort from you, you need to be on your toes, calm and focused.

Time to fight for all the Saints fans who've done it hard the last 9 years, all those in Vic cooped up and locked down, fight for the ones that can't ever get too confident because they're sick of getting let down. To steal a line from Jürgen Klopp, time to turn doubters into believers.

Talk is cheap, let's see what this club is now made of.

Two games and you can extract all that? Maybe but IMO maybe given the right encouragement he will be the highlight reel we need. There is room in the team for all types...Longy has been given all the chances in the world this year...sure he might be developing into the player we need as well but Parker given the same support and opportunity might just 'be the fool were looking for'. I see the grounds for doubt in those two solitary games but No 2nds no real quality consistent opportunities its very tough to make a call.

Two games and you can extract all that? Maybe but IMO maybe given the right encouragement he will be the highlight reel we need. There is room in the team for all types...Longy has been given all the chances in the world this year...sure he might be developing into the player we need as well but Parker given the same support and opportunity might just 'be the fool were looking for'. I see the grounds for doubt in those two solitary games but No 2nds no real quality consistent opportunities its very tough to make a call.
He is not the only one , guys like Logan Austin , Clavarino , Langlands , Joyce , McKenzie even Webster , Savage and Roberton have suffered because they have not been able to show there wares in proper VFL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back