Preview Round 24 - Essendon Bombers vs Collingwood Magpies - Friday, August 25th - 7:50 pm - MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

silk

Premium Platinum
Sep 10, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
What was once looming as an exciting opportunity to cement a position in the finals with good form has suddenly turned into no more than a glorified training run for Collingwood. The thing is... we saw the true Essendon play today. This is who we really are, and until we can finally come to terms with being shithouse and stop chasing lazy wins, we won't get anywhere. That was the most honest performance we've seen this year from the most dishonest club in the league.

Jim Carrey Movie GIF

We are well on our way to pure Minnow status. How many young kids do you ever actually see wearing Essendon colours anymore? Yeah, we tell ourselves they are all in hiding, the next sleeping giant, blah blah blah. Post the Drug Saga, all the club cared about was keeping our financials ok and making sure the players were kept happy; most likely so they did sue the s**t out of the club for negligence. In doing so.. we sold away our future; we became the Essendon Marketing Club. And we were good at it with our 9% off merchandise and so many lovely, totally not paid, fluff pieces in the offseason.

We've got all our hope on Brad, but unless he has the right support, it won't mean dick. If Dodoro stays employed by Essendon, it won't mean dick. If we resort to a messiah signing, it won't mean dick. There are so many things wrong with our list, but if the coach doesn't have the guts and strength nor the support to make proper changes, the cycle will continue.

We are consistently smaller than other teams, but somehow those bigger players also outrun us and are faster than us. Our top end is just about the worse top end in the league. Compare our three best players to any other team's three best players.... where do we rank? 17th or 18th?

For Brad to actually succeed in turning around; we need to stop kidding ourselves about the quality of our list (I'm not condemning individual players here, I'm talking about the list overall) Sadly, nearly all that goodwill that was built up earlier in the year was for naught, because in the second half of the year, it was the same old Essendon and fans have been left feeling like the more things change there more they stay the same.

The Round the Was

I could tell right away we weren't in this game. The hesitation with the ball was there from the very beginning, the unwillingness to run hard with your man to defend, the inability to take a single contested mark and the constant weak as-piss handballs to people who we in the middle of packs already. It was braindead football from the get-go.

I turned off in the second quarter - I'll tell you the moment - Dyson Heppell took a strong intercept mark in front of a GWS. It was a good mark. He then, without any attempt to look for a better option, kicked towards a 4 on 1, 'cause.. that's all we ever do, kick to the HFF close to the boundary and hope we don't get beaten in the contest.

200.gif

But if you really want an insight into why this loss was far far worse than even the numbers suggest, it's what happened in the 3rd. A lot of sides get beaten early. They have trouble stopping the flow. But they usually come out hard after halftime, and at least maintain some dignity and respect.... GWS kicked the first 7 goals of the third... 7 unanswered goals... to come out with such a whimper after that first-half performance... so much for the team playing for the Coach.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 7.3 13.5 20.6 25.12 (162)
ESSENDON 1.0 2.1 4.4 5.6 (36)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney:
Hogan 9, Daniels 3, Greene 2, Bedford 2, Riccardi, Lloyd, Himmelberg, Green, Fahey, Coniglio, Brown, Ash, McMullin
Essendon: Langford 2, Phillips, Menzie, Caldwell

BEST
Greater Western Sydney:
Hogan, Green, Coniglio, Himmelberg, Ward, Whitfield, Kelly
Essendon: Parish, Hind, McGrath, Merrett

INJURIES
Greater Western Sydney:
TBC
Essendon: TBC

SUBSTITUTES
Greater Western Sydney:
Toby McMullin (replaced Toby Greene in the third quarter)
Essendon: Jake Stringer (replaced Matt Guelfi in the second quarter)

Collingwood on the other hand saw their depth well and truly tested and we're found wanting against a quality Brisbane side. Despite this Collingwood had the moments and looked at times capable of stealing another game. Their season is teetering just a little bit, and they are in need of a good sparring partner to prepare them for the finals... oh...

COLLINGWOOD 4.2 6.5 12.7 15.10 (109)
BRISBANE 6.2 9.3 14.7 19.10 (124)

GOALS
Collingwood:
Elliott 3, Mihocek 2, McStay 2, Howe 2, Pendlebury, Noble, Ginnivan, J. Daicos, Cameron, Cox
Brisbane: Cameron 4, Hipwood 3, Daniher 3, Rayner 2, Bailey 2, Ah Chee 2, McCarthy, Coleman, Fletcher

BEST
Collingwood:
Pendlebury, Mihocek, J. Daicos, Crisp
Brisbane: Neale, Cameron, McInerney, Dunkley, McKenna, Rayner, Zorko

INJURIES
Collingwood:
Ryan (concussion), Murphy (back)
Brisbane: Ah Chee (ribs/back), McCarthy (calf)

SUBSTITUTES
Collingwood:
Mason Cox replaced Jakob Ryan in the second quarter
Brisbane: Jarryd Lyons replaced Callum Ah Chee in the third quarter

Possible Ins:

This is the biggest cross against Brad and it will this week like clockwork. There will be minimal changes, but screw that for this part of the preview, I'm doing a fantasy team selection for a change. Keeping in mind, I don't right give a * if we win or lose this week.

Out: Stringer, BZT, Laverde, Wright, Guelfi, Heppell (Unless he announces), Phillips
In: Setterfield, Bryan, Weideman (Defense only, because both LAV and BZT should be dropped for that game), Baldwin, Davey, Voss

My Tip:

Go on Holidays like the players already clearly have.

hawaii GIF

Gratitudes:

So, as this is my last preview, I'll just say thanks for reading throughout the year. The season is too long.

I hope you did enjoy it, I tried to avoid being too negative, and given I'm barely a football fan, letting own a knowledgeable poster, I tried ot make up with a touch of humour each week.

Also, despite how it sounds in this preview thread, I am actually cautiously optimistic for the future, but I do think this off-season will be very telling.

Last edited:

Maybe forfeit , just say we don't want to embarrass The AFL franchise anymore.

Brad is taking the piss if he’s not dropping at least 5/6 from today
I don’t give a s**t about allowing them to atone
To be fair, they’ve had a few weeks to atone

• Cats game
  • Doggies game
  • Eagles game
  • North hame

Now this.

Let’s just bring a number of our VFL players in and see how they go.

The players that we drop can have an entire off-season to work through whatever the hell they were thinking during the GWS game.

What was once looming as an exciting opportunity to cement a position in the finals with good form has suddenly turned into no more than a glorified training run for Collingwood. The thing is... we saw the true Essendon play today. This is who we really are, and until we can finally come to terms with being shithouse and stop chasing lazy wins, we won't get anywhere. That was the most honest performance we've seen this year from the most dishonest club in the league.

Jim Carrey Movie GIF

We are well on our way to pure Minnow status. How many young kids do you ever actually see wearing Essendon colours anymore? Yeah, we tell ourselves they are all in hiding, the next sleeping giant, blah blah blah. Post the Drug Saga, all the club cared about was keeping our financials ok and making sure the players were kept happy; most likely so they did sue the s**t out of the club for negligence. In doing.. we sold away our future; we became the Essendon Marketing Club. And we were good at without 9% off merchandise and so many lovely, totally not paid, fluff pieces in the offseason.

We've got all our hope on Brad, but unless he has the right support, it won't mean dick. If Dodoro stays employed by Essendon, it won't mean dick. If we resort to a messiah signing, it won't mean dick. There are so many things wrong with our list, but if the coach doesn't have the guts and strength nor the support to make proper changes, the cycle will continue.

We are consistently smaller than other teams, but somehow those bigger players also outrun us and are faster than us. Our top end is just about the worse top end in the league. Compare our three best players to any other team's three best players.... where do we rank? 17th or 18th?

For Brad to actually succeed in turning around; we need to stop kidding ourselves about the quality of our list (I'm not condemning individual players here, I'm talking about the list overall) Sadly, nearly all that goodwill that was built up earlier in the year was for naught, because in the second half of the year, it was the same old Essendon and fans have been left feeling like the more things change there more they stay the same.

The Round the Was

I could tell right away we weren't in this game. The hesitation with the ball was there from the very beginning, the unwillingness to run hard with your man to defend, the inability to take a single contested mark and the constant weak as-piss handballs to people who we in the middle of packs already. It was braindead football from the get-go.

I turned off in the second quarter - I'll tell you the moment - Dyson Heppell took a strong intercept mark in front of a GWS. It was a good mark. He then, without any attempt to look for a better option, kicked towards a 4 on 1, 'cause.. that's all we ever do, kick to the HFF close to the boundary and hope we don't get beaten in the contest.

200.gif

But if you really want an insight into why this loss was far far worse than even the numbers suggest, it's what happened in the 3rd. A lot of sides get beaten early. They have trouble stopping the flow. But they usually come out hard after halftime, and at least maintain some dignity and respect.... GWS kicked the first 7 goals of the third... 7 unanswered goals... to come out with such a whimper after that first-half performance... so much for the team playing for the Coach.

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY 7.3 13.5 20.6 25.12 (162)
ESSENDON 1.0 2.1 4.4 5.6 (36)

GOALS
Greater Western Sydney:
Hogan 9, Daniels 3, Greene 2, Bedford 2, Riccardi, Lloyd, Himmelberg, Green, Fahey, Coniglio, Brown, Ash, McMullin
Essendon: Langford 2, Phillips, Menzie, Caldwell

BEST
Greater Western Sydney:
Hogan, Green, Coniglio, Himmelberg, Ward, Whitfield, Kelly
Essendon: Parish, Hind, McGrath, Merrett

INJURIES
Greater Western Sydney:
TBC
Essendon: TBC

SUBSTITUTES
Greater Western Sydney:
Toby McMullin (replaced Toby Greene in the third quarter)
Essendon: Jake Stringer (replaced Matt Guelfi in the second quarter)

Collingwood on the other hand saw their depth well and truly tested and we're found wanting against a quality Brisbane side. Despite this Collingwood had the moments and looked at times capable of stealing another game. Their season is teetering just a little bit, and they are in need of a good sparring partner to prepare them for the finals... oh...

COLLINGWOOD 4.2 6.5 12.7 15.10 (109)
BRISBANE 6.2 9.3 14.7 19.10 (124)

GOALS
Collingwood:
Elliott 3, Mihocek 2, McStay 2, Howe 2, Pendlebury, Noble, Ginnivan, J. Daicos, Cameron, Cox
Brisbane: Cameron 4, Hipwood 3, Daniher 3, Rayner 2, Bailey 2, Ah Chee 2, McCarthy, Coleman, Fletcher

BEST
Collingwood:
Pendlebury, Mihocek, J. Daicos, Crisp
Brisbane: Neale, Cameron, McInerney, Dunkley, McKenna, Rayner, Zorko

INJURIES
Collingwood:
Ryan (concussion), Murphy (back)
Brisbane: Ah Chee (ribs/back), McCarthy (calf)

SUBSTITUTES
Collingwood:
Mason Cox replaced Jakob Ryan in the second quarter
Brisbane: Jarryd Lyons replaced Callum Ah Chee in the third quarter

Possible Ins:

This is the biggest cross against Brad and it will this week like clockwork. There will be minimal changes, but screw that for this part of the preview, I'm doing a fantasy team selection for a change. Keeping in mind, I don't right give a * if we win or lose this week.

Out: Stringer, BZT, Laverde, Wright, Guelfi, Heppell (Unless he announces), Phillips
In: Setterfield, Bryan, Weideman (Defense only, because both LAV and BZT should be dropped for that game), Baldwin, Davey, Voss

My Tip:

Go on Holidays like the players already clearly have.

hawaii GIF

Gratitudes:

So, as this is my last preview, I'll just say thanks for reading throughout the year. The season is too long.

I hope you did enjoy it, I tried to avoid being too negative, and given I'm barely a football fan, letting own a knowledgeable poster, I tried ot make up with a touch of humour each week.

Also, despite how it sounds in this preview thread, I am actually cautiously optimistic for the future, but I do think this off-season will be very telling.
Well from me thanks for all of your efforts for the year.

Pies will be taking this very seriously, as they need a decent tune up themselves, before their first final. I'd expect a 65 point flogging...but will probably more like 85.

Farewell games for tippa, Heppell and flip?

Byran should play as flip doesn't need a farewell game. Tippa doesn't deserve/need one but what the hell. A sub anyway.

Could drop quite a few but setterfield, Byran must come in.

Farewell games incoming.

AMT, Stewart, Heppell, Flippa… Weiderman
Stewart, weideman have contracts for next year unfortunately.

Heppell will get another year unfortunately as well.

Byran needs to play. Still uncontacted so might be his last game at ess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only positive about this game is that by the time finals start it will be 3 weeks since Collingwood have had a decent hit out and they'll be underdone.

It will probably just be minimal changes as usual

OUT: Guelfi, Kelly
IN: Stringer, Setterfield

Team;-

Cox Zerk McGrath
Redman Lav Hind
Heppell Parish Durham
Martin Stringer Perkins
Langford 2MP Menzie

Draper Hobbs Merrett

Bench: Setterfield Caldwell Tsatas Phillips
SUB: Tippa

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Brad is taking the piss if he’s not dropping at least 5/6 from today
I don’t give a s**t about allowing them to atone
the response from the previous two weeks was enough evidence that the players are either not listening, message not getting through or simply not up to it

If we want a response, that ship sailed yesterday

Please let there be a Heppell announcement early in the week. And Stewart.

Heppell needs to have his shoulder tapped for sure. He will go again if given the choice.

Stewart I reckon would want to go on. Has the contract and will want to try again although I agree he shouldn't.

All I want to see is some ticker, a bit of pride.

Keep hearing training loads, tired, blah, blah. Maybe late in games that has an effect but players were seriously jogging 5 minutes in. They were mentally switched off, just like last year. It is mind boggling in such a big game.

Should have been manic pressure for at least the first quarter.

the response from the previous two weeks was enough evidence that the players are either not listening, message not getting through or simply not up to it

If we want a response, that ship sailed yesterday
Im going with the latter and trusting the Brad mission statement.

Not all that concerned about ins/outs or the result. A friday night pantsing should kick a few right where they need it.

As we come full circle, a farewell game for some stalwarts whereby we get embarrassed in prime time by a fellow big 4 team seems fitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back